Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New starter not acting like new...Update...pics of dead one

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005 | 03:38 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ccy944
Getting a little **** with this-been trying different things, seems that it starts better with the clutch in than with the clutch out, less rotating weight like that, or more because of the pressure on the clutch?
Youre supposed to have the clutch depressed when you start it. Less load, it isnt trying to spin the driveshaft and such.
Old 04-30-2005 | 04:00 AM
ccy944
Instructor

That was my original thought, but the first few times that I started it with the new starter, had a quicker start with the clutch out, now since I went and checked ant tightened the cables, quicker with the clutch in - maybe just some other worldly possession screwing with me - just trying to find a logical reason for the new starter not doing quite what it is supposed to do.
Old 04-30-2005 | 01:08 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ccy944
That was my original thought, but the first few times that I started it with the new starter, had a quicker start with the clutch out, now since I went and checked ant tightened the cables, quicker with the clutch in - maybe just some other worldly possession screwing with me - just trying to find a logical reason for the new starter not doing quite what it is supposed to do.
Im going to bet on the cables. They can look fine and still be a mess. Theres also two layers of covering, inside one on the cable can be cracked causing corrosion. Mine were like that.

For a nice improvement, get the IceShark cables. Theres a thread about them now.
Old 04-30-2005 | 01:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

For what it's worth, I once bought a rebuilt starter for my 951 and it had a similar problem right out of the box. It would kick back one out of three or four tries and stop spinning altogether. After hunting for other issues, I returned the starter and got a different one, and the problem went away.

Also, did you check the ground strap on the bellhousing?

Quick Reply: New starter not acting like new...Update...pics of dead one