Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Desperate SS Fuel Line Assembly Question-Hose Ends????????

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 11:55 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Desperate SS Fuel Line Assembly Question-Hose Ends????????

I'm trying to install homemade DIY SS fuel lines in my 951. I've been trying all day to get the SS hose attached to the hose end fittings but can't get it no matter what I do. Is there some secret to this? The hose will not even begin to squeeze into the socket. Measuring the hose is 14mm outside diameter while it must fit into the 12mm socket. Anyone who's ever installed the hose ends onto SS line: is it supposed to be that difficult or is something wrong here? I can't take another day of this fuel line nightmare. Please help!!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:05 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you have the wrong fittings.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:20 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

It would help to know what brand and model you are using for hardware. I have done quite a bit with Earl's plumbing. I recently did an SS fuel conversion on the pressure line of an E Stock 944T race car. Used AN-8. No sweat.

I have found the larger sizes to be more cantankerous. -16 can get pretty rude. You need a clean cut! Tape it and use a carbide disc or a REALLY sharp fine hasksaw.

Old 04-25-2005, 09:52 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's -06 Aeroquip line. The fittings are all sourced from BAT www.batinc.net as well as the hose. Fittings are TS-6 off their website. I also have the FS-1606 and F90-1606. All are supposed to fit AN -6 hose and I doubt they would screw up on 3 different fittings. Hose is correct according to an Aeroquip catalog I saw which verified 14mm Outside diameter for a -06 size.

But looking at your photo, they may have sent the wrong fittings. Do you have to squeeze the braided hose to get it to fit into the end socket or is it just a matter of twisting and turning? Because as I've already posted, my hose has to fit into a socket which is 2-3mm smaller than the hose outer diameter and this hose doesn't compress down very easily!

I called BAT this morning and they said that the smaller sizes are much more difficult, so I don't know. Tomorrow I'm going to take it to a Parker hose industrial shop. I officially give up! I'm very curious to watch how they do it though. If they just twist it in there, I'm selling my Porsche and buying a Pinto!

Anybody have a -6 hose end lying around and some calipers? If so, I would love to know what the internal measurement of the socket is--that is the smallest part which the hose must fit into before it hits theback of the threads.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:40 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SL, My home phone/DSL line is jacked up so I'll send some dimensions in the morning. Tightly wrap the hose prior to cutting and leave the tape on. My Earl's went right together.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

I am not familiar with Aeroquip from direct experience, but I just studied the diagrams from their installation instructions. The collars seem to work on the same principle as Earl's. You must make sure not to fray the braid or you'll never get it in. If I've got an ornery fitting on my hands, I usually put the hose in a vise so that I can exert a lot of force to twist the collar on. Small line can be a real bitch. I usually buy premade in -5 & -6. The -8 stuff I've done has been very easy. The -12 gets more difficult, and -16 can be tough.

Still, it has never been remotely impossible. It's all down to a clean cut with no fraying!

Try this. When you squeeze one side of fraying braid, it sort of flattens out the fray all the way around. You know what I mean? When I'm starting to get fray, I lay one side of the hose at an angle and start it in the collar and press down. This starts to flatten the braid all around, and with a little twist and continuing pressure - and maybe a very small screw driver to tuck the braid in - I've never not been able to get it started.

Quick Reply: Desperate SS Fuel Line Assembly Question-Hose Ends????????