Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Detailing Supplies (Zaino/Zymol/Black Again?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 02:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Detailing Supplies (Zaino/Zymol/Black Again?)

Back when I used to "show" my old 911, everybody used to use Zymol wax and a rubber conditioner called Black Again (which came in a dome-topped, R2D2-shaped, plastic bottle. It was a white cream with the consistency of hair conditioner). I cannot seem to find Black Again anymore -- is it gone? Also, has Zaino (or something else) replaced Zymol at the top of the wax heap?
Old 04-23-2005, 02:14 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

I think part of the problem with Zymol is they attached their name to a product made by Turtle Wax (I think) that is now being sold in Wal-Mart, etc. and is not the same product you would be used to.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:34 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by streckfu's951
I think part of the problem with Zymol is they attached their name to a product made by Turtle Wax (I think) that is now being sold in Wal-Mart, etc. and is not the same product you would be used to.
I bought a squeeze bottle of Zymol lately and wondered about exactly that. Sure smells nice though....
Old 04-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom,
i just recently washed my car with the current Zymol/Turtle wax line of products. The result was nice, but I wasn't blown away. Alot of people are using Rejex, which isnt a wax per se, but it seems to work nicely. That is what I am trying next. You can still get the old Zymol, but to the tune of $25 bucks a container of wax. I've never used Zaino, but I have heard good things.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:11 PM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, I almost never know how to fix our cars but when it comes to detailing and presentation, I am what I would like to think fairly educated. Here's the skinny. Zymol isn't Zymol anymore. It's just as mentioned before and linked to Turtle Wax. The best carnuba wax out there right now is Zaino Bros. Wax. The best non wax protectant is PS2. Report published in Guru reports wax test of over 40 waxes. As far as renewing the black look on your rubber, plastic, etc. It's called Forever Black. When putting it on your car, it's all in the application. I searched far and wide throughout the country for the best detailer I could find. Think I found him. He produces his own wax and car car products. Rich Light at GraniteAutoGrooming.com. You wouldn't believe how my car looks. In print, European car magazine said that my paint was the nicest black paint they've ever seen on any car. Guaranteed no swirl marks or rasberries. I was one of the two best paints at the Russo and Steele auction in Scottsdale in February. Rich took Zaino Bros. and redid the formula to come up with his own. I use his because he details my car otherwise I'd be usin Zaino Bros. Another tip, if you wash your car with anything other than a presoaked natural sea sponge, you are scratching your finish. I you dry your car with any cotton or even the softest of terry cloths, you are scratching your finish. Use a very well rinsed Natural Chamois, drying the wheels last. If either ever touches the ground, you have to stop and rinse till you are sick of rinsing and go at it again. Microfiber to wax on and wax off. Followed by a finishing spray wax that Zaino Bros. and Granite does. Makes all the difference. Never let your car go through a self serve wash bay! I don't even trust a "no touch" wash bay for fear of dirt in the water. I'm the only person to ever wash my car besides Granite. It makes a huge difference. OK, sorry guys, I'm rambling. I'm just really into the appearance of my car. Good luck!
Old 04-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DFASTEST951
OK, I almost never know how to fix our cars but when it comes to detailing and presentation, I am what I would like to think fairly educated. Here's the skinny. Zymol isn't Zymol anymore. It's just as mentioned before and linked to Turtle Wax. The best carnuba wax out there right now is Zaino Bros. Wax. The best non wax protectant is PS2. Report published in Guru reports wax test of over 40 waxes. As far as renewing the black look on your rubber, plastic, etc. It's called Forever Black. When putting it on your car, it's all in the application. I searched far and wide throughout the country for the best detailer I could find. Think I found him. He produces his own wax and car car products. Rich Light at GraniteAutoGrooming.com. You wouldn't believe how my car looks. In print, European car magazine said that my paint was the nicest black paint they've ever seen on any car. Guaranteed no swirl marks or rasberries. I was one of the two best paints at the Russo and Steele auction in Scottsdale in February. Rich took Zaino Bros. and redid the formula to come up with his own. I use his because he details my car otherwise I'd be usin Zaino Bros. Another tip, if you wash your car with anything other than a presoaked natural sea sponge, you are scratching your finish. I you dry your car with any cotton or even the softest of terry cloths, you are scratching your finish. Use a very well rinsed Natural Chamois, drying the wheels last. If either ever touches the ground, you have to stop and rinse till you are sick of rinsing and go at it again. Microfiber to wax on and wax off. Followed by a finishing spray wax that Zaino Bros. and Granite does. Makes all the difference. Never let your car go through a self serve wash bay! I don't even trust a "no touch" wash bay for fear of dirt in the water. I'm the only person to ever wash my car besides Granite. It makes a huge difference. OK, sorry guys, I'm rambling. I'm just really into the appearance of my car. Good luck!

So post some hi-res pics for us! What do you do for your wheels?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:06 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Hey Tom, I just figured out how to resize my pics in order to fit but the very one I wanted to post is way to big even after I resize it. It is a hell of a pic down the driver's side of the door with what looks like a mural of the mountains along the side of the car but it's really just the paint showing a reflection. I will send it to you if you want and maybe you can resize it for me as I would like to put it up for my avatar.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:07 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

OK, it worked but I still don't know how to even put this one in my avatar. Can anyone help me?
Old 04-25-2005, 03:09 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

Oh, for my wheels, I use Mother's Billet Wheel Polish.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:13 AM
DFASTEST951
Rennlist Member

here's the wheel
Old 04-26-2005, 09:49 PM
cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Holy Crizap Batman! That is black!

I very nearly pulled the trigger on a cleaning/detailing kit from Griot's Garage last weekend -- anyone have any experience with their Clay, Vinyl cleaner, wax, etc?

Thanks,
cag4
Old 04-26-2005, 10:58 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Tom, I've tried lots of products over the years and Zaino products really do work ... search the threads and google for more info.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:28 AM
Rob 3
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You could try searching the Concours and Car Care forum. There have been several posts about Griot's, Zaino, and Zymol products there.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:08 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

You think that $25 for Zymol is expensive, try buying Pinnacle Sovereign wax. That stuff is about $60 for a tiny jar. It does shine like no other though.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:21 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Dfastest-
Zaino is a well respected sealant, but it is not a carnauba. There are many similar sealants out there, but zaino's marketing is among the best. BTW, your car looks awesome!

Anyways, check out http://autopia.org/ for some really good detailing advice. I think they'd have some issues with your recomendations about seasponges or natural chamis. I think microfiber drying towels have been shown to be much easier on your paint.

Quick Reply: Detailing Supplies (Zaino/Zymol/Black Again?)