"Snapper" the 951 of this decade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 08:06 PM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
Variable steering ratio is just that...the ratio gets greater as the steering input gets larger. So... normal steering inputs seem normal and lock to lock requires less wheel travel. This makes track style "no hand movement" steering much easier, as well as reaction time for car-control related inputs shorter.
...as well as requires the driver to change his/her amount of wheel rotation depending on the wheel position, vehicle speed, and turn radius desired.

I'll pass.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Hmmm...not sure if I like the sound of it. For the street, sure, but I always liked the feel of old VW manual steering racks! man, they bring back memories.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:25 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...as well as requires the driver to change his/her amount of wheel rotation depending on the wheel position, vehicle speed, and turn radius desired.
All the variables you list (including turn radius, which you have to change the amount of wheel rotation for with conventional steering - so I'm not sure why you listed that) are learned inputs. When the front tires are pushing a little around a corner do you turn the wheel the same amount as when they're not? Of course not. Your inputs change constantly due to tire wear/temp, suface conditions, etc. I'm not trying to change your mind. It's cool to pass on it.

Quick Reply: "Snapper" the 951 of this decade?