Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car is Finished w/ Pics. Update: Did I blow the HG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 05:20 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have some strange issues with my MAF also. Nothing serious, but things seem to lean out a bit when I turn in the headights. Many, many people suggested to me that this is probably caused by a voltage drop when I turn on the lights, which screws up the signals coming from the MAF. That seemed unlikely to me (although it seems to happen to many people) because I ran not just a dedicated ground, but also a dedicated positive. So I pulled the headlight motor relay, turned on the headlights, and went for a little drive. Guess what? It didn't lean out at all. It seems that just because of the way the filter is crammed into that small area, when the headlights are physically open, there is a significant enough increase in the amount of air getting in to screw up my ratios.

I've still not figured out what I'm going to do about this, because I've wiggled everything this way and that, and I still can't seem to fit it all in there comfortably.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:37 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats your route Eyal? PM me if you dont want to post here... sorry 9fifty1.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:54 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Derek, kinda OT but did you ever get your center caps to fit? I tried PMing you about it.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:02 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeaagesen
Derek, kinda OT but did you ever get your center caps to fit? I tried PMing you about it.

Nope. I don't really care to get them fit either. I like the way they look right now.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:11 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
my engine needs to come out cause of the piston rings...
Boostguy isnt selling his stuff anymore, i spoke to him... if he was, i still think im going to go a less expensive, but almost equally strong route. I have plans, we'll see if they are feasible... mmm closed deck...
~Eyal
When did your car go from poor oil pressure to needing new rings? Man,
you just can't buy a break can you? Hope you get it resolved, doesn't look like you'll be needing that TPS anytime soon?
Old 04-25-2005, 08:53 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I am now really starting to doubt that I have a blown HG. Why would the car die so suddenly? That doesn't make any sense. If it was the HG it would still run, but run really badly. So what would cause my car to just suddenly die, I was only running 12psi and I was running rich. I checked the oil and I have only fuel in the oil, I didnt see any coolant. But I did not drain it, I only checked it. The reason I have some crap in the coolant might be because I put on a used cam tower that was kinda dirty and had some black crap in it. I think that was just cleaned out. When my car did die, i turned it back over and it just turned over and turned over and puffed white smoke out the back, a lot of white smoke...why is that? Thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 12:20 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Also,
After the first time I started the car up. I let it ran for a good 20 mins and after about 10 mins of running it began to randomly burn oil, blue smoke out the back. It eventually went away...
Old 04-26-2005, 04:56 AM
daniel951
Race Car

when i blew my heagasket twice i had tons of crap in the exhaust pipe and in the coolant and oil? the car never stalled on me though but wanted to die out cause it ran like crap. Also one of the times i blew it i thought i seen blue smoke coming out of the back instead of white when i was trying to make it home but after i parked it and started it up it was white white. Either way i think u should pull the head off and replace that headgasket with a MLS especially running more pressure on a upgraded turbo. Also get that Wideband soon as possible or go up to a dyno and get that thing tuned.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:06 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

The weekly visits from the postman with packages arent enough to apease. Not even the roll bar, or seats did it. i need a lot of stuff now, for this build. the best part will be building it, though i wouldnt mind 400 whp.
~Eyal
Originally Posted by KuHL 951
When did your car go from poor oil pressure to needing new rings? Man,
you just can't buy a break can you? Hope you get it resolved, doesn't look like you'll be needing that TPS anytime soon?
Old 04-26-2005, 12:46 PM
GPF
Instructor

9fifty1,

This may be way off, but could you have blown the turbo? You did say you were "beating on it?"

If the oil seal goes and you destroy the turbo, you dump high pressure oil down the exhaust which gives you white smoke. It also floods into the intercooler and I guess that it could clog up your MAF and foul the plugs. I also guess it could get into the coolant via the turbo water jacket if you have really screwed it up?

Just a thought, but maybe checking the oil level, pulling the IC pipes and checking the MAF/plugs would confirm.

Hope it's not too serious.

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S
Old 04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Gorgeous car, what are you running over the fuel lines..thermotec?
Old 04-26-2005, 02:43 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

pull the spark plugs and see if there is coolent on em. You can even crank it over with no spark plug to see if coolent comes out. What you need is the compression numbers. We can go from there.
~Eyal
Old 04-26-2005, 04:58 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GPF
9fifty1,

This may be way off, but could you have blown the turbo? You did say you were "beating on it?"

If the oil seal goes and you destroy the turbo, you dump high pressure oil down the exhaust which gives you white smoke. It also floods into the intercooler and I guess that it could clog up your MAF and foul the plugs. I also guess it could get into the coolant via the turbo water jacket if you have really screwed it up?

Just a thought, but maybe checking the oil level, pulling the IC pipes and checking the MAF/plugs would confirm.

Hope it's not too serious.

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S

My turbo was just rebuilt by majestic. If it is the turbo, I deserve it because I had multiple people tell me not to go with them and I did anyway. I have time today to work on it so no more guessing.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:18 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Gorgeous car, what are you running over the fuel lines..thermotec?
Fire sleeve. Here.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:28 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Derek:

Where'd you get the wheels?

Quick Reply: Car is Finished w/ Pics. Update: Did I blow the HG?