Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Car is Finished w/ Pics. Update: Did I blow the HG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 02:55 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car is Finished w/ Pics. Update: Did I blow the HG?

So I finally finished my car. Turbo, MAF, EBC, wrapped exhaust/x-over, oil cooler plate gasket, clutch, lsd tranny, rims/tires, splitter, oil pressure sender, bla bla. Basically the only gaskets I did not replace were the HG and the oil pan gasket. I was only running 12 psi and it pulled pretty hard. I was very excited driving it. Then, as I was pulling into the neighborhood of a friends house, the engine died. I turned it over to white smoke out the exhaust. I popped the hood an I had oil in the coolant. So the HG finally went. I was running unknowingly running 18psi on a 15psi mapped chip last summer. I think that did me in. I was too late to figure that out. If you don't have a wideband, get one. I am sick of guessing. Anyways, I'm pretty sure its the HG. Am I correct? White smoke out the back, no start, oil in the coolant. I know I need to do a compression test to know for sure. But its a good guess. One more problem, when I turned my headlights on, the rpms dropped. This was when the car did run. What could that be? Also, the coolant fans won't shut off now when I have the key turned on. They keep spinning. I had to pull the relay to get them to stop. What is that? Here are some pics of the short lived drive...

Last edited by 9fitty1; 04-25-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i love the engine bay! now for some black spark plug wires!
Old 04-22-2005, 03:07 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might as well get the head done. I'm happy with the job Danno did on mine. Some fun stuff! Nice car, welcome to my world, my car loves to do that to me. Geuss whats coming out? the motor! yay! I'm thinking 2.7 however... I'll have to raise some funds now.
~Eyal
Old 04-22-2005, 03:28 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Danno told me recently of a head job he came across that was flowing less than stock after their "stage x" head work! So have a chat to him.

Love the splitter and the wheels! You going to make some IC pipes as well?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:29 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
Might as well get the head done. I'm happy with the job Danno did on mine. Some fun stuff! Nice car, welcome to my world, my car loves to do that to me. Geuss whats coming out? the motor! yay! I'm thinking 2.7 however... I'll have to raise some funds now.
~Eyal
O man, what happened now?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:29 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Danno told me recently of a head job he came across that was flowing less than stock after their "stage x" head work! So have a chat to him.

Love the splitter and the wheels! You going to make some IC pipes as well?

Hehe, don't tempt me on the pipes. I want them.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:30 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
~Eyal
I think Joe (boostguy) was selling his 2.7 parts last time I heard...
Old 04-22-2005, 03:31 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Did you paint your dampener?
Old 04-22-2005, 03:33 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NZ951
Did you paint your dampener?
yup.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:34 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Congrats on your progress to date. Sure looks great. It is possible that you blew the HG, but it could be your oil seals too, especially if you only ran 12psi and are getting tons of mixing. Check your oil dipstick and see if the oil pan is full of coolant. Did you follow all known percautions when changing the oil seals? My car at least ran with a seriously blown HG -- I'm guessing your plugs are too wet to fire. MAFs tend to be very sensitive to voltage changes -- my car gets richer when I turn on the headlights, heater fan, etc. Cleaning the grounds did not help. I am going to try a dedicated ground to the MAF to see if that helps. The cooling fans are probably the thermoswitch in the radiator or the relay. Clarks-garage has all the diagnostics you can use on that.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:36 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Congrats on your progress to date. Sure looks great. It is possible that you blew the HG, but it could be your oil seals too, especially if you only ran 12psi and are getting tons of mixing. Check your oil dipstick and see if the oil pan is full of coolant. Did you follow all known percautions when changing the oil seals? My car at least ran with a seriously blown HG -- I'm guessing your plugs are too wet to fire. MAFs tend to be very sensitive to voltage changes -- my car gets richer when I turn on the headlights, heater fan, etc. Cleaning the grounds did not help. I am going to try a dedicated ground to the MAF to see if that helps. The cooling fans are probably the thermoswitch in the radiator or the relay. Clarks-garage has all the diagnostics you can use on that.

Awesome, thanks a lot. I've got some things to check out tomorrow.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:40 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Ugh, if it is that cooler plate, that scares me. I was not being too nice to my car that day. First day I had it back. I was kinda beatin on it I was having so much fun. That means if I had coolant in my oil that my bearings were getting washed and with the type of driving I was doing....Wow...

But how could it have been too wet start? The only way for coolant to get into the combustion camber is the HG.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my engine needs to come out cause of the piston rings...
Boostguy isnt selling his stuff anymore, i spoke to him... if he was, i still think im going to go a less expensive, but almost equally strong route. I have plans, we'll see if they are feasible... mmm closed deck...
~Eyal
Old 04-22-2005, 03:54 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
But how could it have been too wet start? The only way for coolant to get into the combustion camber is the HG.

If the oil pan is full of coolant, it can steam up and get past the rings, vent into the intake via the oil recirc line (which might get the MAF wet too for that matter), etc. On the other hand, maybe it's the HG is you were really beating on it and not watching the a/f ratios.

You mention the oil cooler plate gasket. You also changed the green o-rings on the little oil connector pipe inside the housing and make sure it was fully seated in the block -- right?
Old 04-22-2005, 04:05 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Yup, fully seated. Changed all the seals I think. First time on the job, but I believe it was done correctly. The chips were burnt for 18psi, I was running 12psi, just to be safe, lol. It was not the a/f ratio.

Quick Reply: Car is Finished w/ Pics. Update: Did I blow the HG?