Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wideband connection to AFM Link ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"****, just re-read this after getting your email (thanks for the template btw) - you really DO mean the AFM-in line don't you! "

Yeah, the AFM-IN line datalogs a 0-5v signal, the O2-sensor line only datalogs the standard O2 0-1v signal. With the template that Jake951 worked up, you can graph and compare the wideband vs. standard-O2's curves. You'll find that if you do three full-throttle runs, the 3rd one on the standard-O2 sensor actually matches the wideband pretty well.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:23 PM
ewainwright
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike S
That's why I put my wife in the passenger seat! :-) But I think she's getting tired of full boost runs down the street. LOL!
My wife now down rights refuses to be a passenger period – this may be a distinct advantage. :-) Luckily, my daughter, 14-year-old Danielle now is very good at capturing data, exporting it into Excel and interpreting what the data means. I consider her newly developed passenger seat skill a ROI (Play Station II, computer classes, driving her back and forth to school, and she can’t say no).

Regarding dialing in the system, you really need the data logging capacity of the link system or you will be paying dearly at the dyno. There is a learning curve associated with the system. Further, it is far better to have it closely dialed in before going to the dyno so all you are doing there is fine-tuning.

There is too much guesswork to figure out what cell the system is in at times. Last week I was helping Jason with his Link and his idle was the exact same as mine. That is the hand held stating that it was idling in zone 305 but cells 300, 205 and 405 actually affected his idle. Also, if you have no idea what zones the system uses for starting hot starts are a real pain. We were unable to use the data logging function, as Jason hasn’t fully installed his system (Jason whenever your really call)

My experience is WOT air/fuel ratios comes very easily. The hell is with the part throttle and off idle response, dependability and support. ed
Old 04-25-2005, 01:16 PM
GPF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Danno
Yeah, the AFM-IN line datalogs a 0-5v signal, the O2-sensor line only datalogs the standard O2 0-1v signal.
Yes, with the full 0-5v wideband signal on the O2-In connection, the serial link outputs maximums (255) virtually all of the time. I've now swapped it to the AFM-In connection and get an output that looks like the WB voltage divided by 2 and multiplied by 100.

However, using the search facility, I found a brief discussion on whether it is as simple as that, or if the voltage has been scaled so that 5v would equate to 255. Was that question resolved?

Regards

Graham

'88 Turbo S
Old 04-26-2005, 01:05 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Ed, I've been meaning to drop an email to you, just been a very busy weekend/week as my parents are visiting. I anticipate being good to go mid-next week. I can't say enough how much I appreciate your help, and having played with the hand held tuner myself and then watching Ed work with the serial link, I would strongly recommend it - he's completely right, there were so many other factors aside from the cells I was working in that I can't imagine being able to get the a/f accurate for partial throttle driving without the serial and the datalogging capability.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

mark944turbo,

per your diagram, I'm assuming that I should be logging Vout which is pin #1?

Does anyone have a screen shot or two of what the serial link software looks like. The PC Link software is the only thing that I can find on the LINK website and my understanding is that this only works with the newer Link units and not the AFMLink.

Last edited by Mike S; 04-26-2005 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"However, using the search facility, I found a brief discussion on whether it is as simple as that, or if the voltage has been scaled so that 5v would equate to 255. Was that question resolved? "

Yes, that 0-5v range is scaled across an 8-bit number. Take Jake951's template and divide the AFM-IN column by 51.

Mike, sent you an email.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:17 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Right mike. The screenshot is nothing impressive , just a stream of numbers in a console.

Quick Reply: Wideband connection to AFM Link ?