Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sealant question--what works around brake fluiid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 07:29 PM
Daddio
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sealant question--what works around brake fluiid?

What sort of sealant (silicone, JB Weld, epoxy, etc.) works well and is durable when exposed to brake fluid?

In other words, my other car has a brake fluid seep from the reservoir nipple, and I need a non-contaminating, long-lasting way to seal the leak.

Suggestions, please?
Old 04-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is a new nipple?
Old 04-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Daddio
Instructor

Well, according to some sources, ~$1,850. Rebuilt ~$750. No kidding.

This for an old Ford* with ABS, where the ABS system itself works perfectly. But, the recessed gasket or O-ring that seals the nipple connecting to the fluid reservoir gravity-feed/low-pressure hose and fitting is starting to leak, meaning frequent top-off of the reservoir.

Remanufacturing company says remove the works from the car and ship it to them, for ~$750 + core charge to fix this little leak. Dealer wants ~$1,850 + labor for a whole new unit. Since the ABS system itself is fine, I just want to stop the seep with silicone, JB Weld, or whatever works best. Replacing the nipple itself may mean breaking it in the process of removal, with risk of fragments jamming the pump.

So, better to apply sealant on the outside of the housing, with a suitable sealant. Hence the question. Suggestions on sealants chemically compatibble with brake fluid?

*Sorry if this seems off-topic on a Porsche forum. OTOH, since our cars are getting pretty old, knowledge of sealants chemically compatible with brake fluid, etc., might come in handy to some of us, if ever in limp-home mode or in need a a quick fix.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:23 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

*Edit*
Have you tried to find a good used one from an auto recycle yard?

Last edited by fortysixandtwo; 04-15-2005 at 09:59 PM. Reason: To be nice to the thread starter.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:18 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I tried sealing a brake fluid leak on a brake pressure regulator on the 951 that had an o-ring go, and nothing i found would seal it for more than a day or so....jb weld, other epoxys, silicon, etc. Brake fluid is nasty crap that will eat through a lot of stuff.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:41 PM
dand86951
Burning Brakes

Most Orings that are used in brake system are made of a material called EPDM. Trying to seal the outside with silicone which should be compatible with brake fluid probably won't work due to the parts already being contaminated with the brake fluid so the sealant won't be able to get a good grip on the base material. I second the motion of looking for a used part in a wrecking yard.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:47 AM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sealants aren't going to work. However a picture of the leak may give us some ideas.

Quick Reply: Sealant question--what works around brake fluiid?