Link/Guru MAP Tuning Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 10:42 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Take a screen shot of your fuel map and post it. If many other do the same and mods are listed, then a decent picture may appear... that is if this has not been done already.
OK. Good idea. Here's a screen shot from my Link serial datalogger:

Here's how to read the data. The fuel settings actually start with the second row of numbers. The first row consists of some pre-programmed values and I forget what most of them are. The one I do remember there is the second entry of the number "4", which corresponds to the acceleration enrichment of +4% in the off-idle region. As I said I use the MAP acceleration mode and not TPS.

In the next two rows you see the enrichment I spoke about in the light-throttle region. Actually I made a mistake above where I said it's the 200's and 300's rows. It is actually the 100's and 200's. (Note the second row in the figure above is the 100's row). I'm not sure the 100's row actually does anything because the MAP never gets that low but it's my understanding it's a good idea to let large corrections span more than one column deep. It's the 200's row that really fixes the closed-loop/open-loop problem I had. As you can see I needed a lot of correction there, up to +24%, all determined by watching the A/F gauge.

In the next few rows you see some of the boost ramp-up enrichment I mentioned, starting at the left side at lower rpm's and working towards the middle of the matrix around the 2500-3500 rpm region. Then at the top end of the 800's and 900's row you see the tapering of fuel that I needed to compensate for my boost rolloff. The dyno runs generally show an A/F ratio around 13.5:1 to 13:1 as boost builds but below peak boost. By the time it's into maximum boost (18 psi) the A/F ratio goes to around 12:1.

The bottom two rows don't do anything because the car never operates in that region. There are two values in the bottom row (-98 and +127) that were pre-programmed in my unit. I have no idea why they are there but I'm sure they do nothing.

If you try to duplicate my settings, remember that there are no guarantees they will work in your car unless your car happens to be very similar to mine.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:00 AM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,
Thanks so much for posting that - I will account for your mods, but between this and OZ's maps, it certainly helps me get a little bit closer and helps me get an idea of where I need to focus on some of the near idle enrichment. The partial throttle stuff I'm hoping is close with the chips, but again it gives me a baseline to look at, so I defintitely appreciate it!

As I'm here translating data, I want to make sure I'm understanding - in your table John, the values in the second row, of +5/+5/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20 are for cells 100-155 or for cells 0-55? Also, if I'm reading correctly, is your table only set up through 5500rpms or did I do some poor math here?

Last edited by MachSchnell; 04-16-2005 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:40 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

A few questions that have arisen while I'm playing with the handheld and getting some baselines...I've seen the Accel function mentioned a few times - I've played with it a bit, but I'm not entirely sure I know what it really affects - can anyone explain this function, and what it does? Also, there is a selection under the Accel-M Z=0 (can you alter which zone this affects?) where if you hit 'edit' it switches from MAP to TPS - from some of OZ's posts, I think I want this set to MAP, yes? Also, there is a RPM SW XXXX OFF which can be changed or set and then lists what I assume is an RPM value - can anyone explain what this does, and if there is a recommended setting, or is this something strictly test and tune?

TIA - also, when fooling the altitude switch into closed loop, would the car naturally have more of a tendency to stall and/or not want to start and idle if/when it stalls? I haven't undone the 1.8k resistor, but it seems to be very stally since I bridged that and I want to make sure that would be logical for a closed loop driving setup before I start looking for problems...
Old 04-16-2005, 04:01 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It should be explained in your manual, but when you quickly plant foot, more fuel will be added (accell fuel), how much depends on how much you determine to enter, how long it lasts for you determine by the decay setting. You can vary the zones at which that setting applies to, you may not want the same accel fuel from cruise to plant foot, as when you are drag shifting from 2nd to 3rd for example.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to use the 1.8k-ohm resistor, or else the line will just function as the altitude switch. If you just ground the line through a toggle switch, you basically cut back fuel by -6% across the board (the DME thinks you're at altitude).

With proper connection through a 1.8k-ohm resistor, it takes the O2-sensor out of the loop. However, it also switches maps to map#3 (australia) on the chips, let me verify that your chips have the same maps as on map-1 or else you'll be causing your tail around trying to figure out why mixtures are so different betwee map-1 and map-3. Typically I have map-3 set with extra ignition for race-gas also.

"Also, there is a RPM SW XXXX OFF which can be changed or set and then lists what I assume is an RPM value - can anyone explain what this does, and if there is a recommended setting, or is this something strictly test and tune?"

The programmable RPM-switch has its own line in the harness (look up the wiring-diagram in the instructions I sent you). This is a low-load driver to light up an LED or activate a relay (the line grounds when activated). Use it for whatever you want, a shift-light, VarioCam trigger, etc. On the upgraded boxes with EBC, this line controls the boost-solenoid or stock CV and the programmer accesses the RPM-based boost-table instead.

"'ve seen the Accel function mentioned a few times - I've played with it a bit, but I'm not entirely sure I know what it really affects - can anyone explain this function, and what it does? Also, there is a selection under the Accel-M Z=0 (can you alter which zone this affects?) "

This is an acceleration enrichment when it senses rapid opening of the throttle-plate. Note in the wiring-diagram that this is the one line that's hooked up the KLR harness for the TPS's variable-position signal. The ACCEL zones refer to RPM-based acceleration-enrichment:

Z0 = 0-2000rpm = 0%
Z1 = 2000-4000rpm = 0%
Z2 = 4000-6000rpm = 0%
Z3 = 6000-8000rpm = 0%

This gives you adjustable acceleration-enrichment when you step on the gas based upon the RPM the engine's operating in. You can adjust this dynamically while at that RPM, or you can do it offline. In most instances, this is overkill since it's going to double-up on top of the DME's built-in acceleration enrichment.

"where if you hit 'edit' it switches from MAP to TPS - from some of OZ's posts, I think I want this set to MAP, yes?"

This selects how the computer picks the LOAD vertical rows on the 3D map. It can use 0-100% throttle to select the rows, but this isn't very precise and should only used on cars with individual throttle-bodies (no manifold to measure pressure). Otherwise use MAP-manifold pressure to select the vertical LOAD rows...
Old 04-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MachSchnell
As I'm here translating data, I want to make sure I'm understanding - in your table John, the values in the second row, of +5/+5/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20/+20 are for cells 100-155 or for cells 0-55? Also, if I'm reading correctly, is your table only set up through 5500rpms or did I do some poor math here?
You'll notice that all the rows start with the value 0. Those correspond to cells 100, 200, 300, etc. The values you quoted above, leaving out the leading zero, are for cells 105-160.

A few questions that have arisen while I'm playing with the handheld and getting some baselines...I've seen the Accel function mentioned a few times - I've played with it a bit, but I'm not entirely sure I know what it really affects - can anyone explain this function, and what it does?
Under acceleration you can program the AFMLink to add even more fuel than what is pre-programmed in the fuel cells to aid acceleration. There are two ways the unit can sense acceleration. One is by rate-of-change of manifold pressure (MAP mode) and the other is by rate-of-change of the TPS output (TPS mode). When it senses a large rate-of-change, it assumes you are accelerating and then dumps in the extra acceleration enrichment. The enrichment is only temporary (maybe one second or less) and then stops.

Also, there is a selection under the Accel-M Z=0 (can you alter which zone this affects?) where if you hit 'edit' it switches from MAP to TPS - from some of OZ's posts, I think I want this set to MAP, yes?
That's how you switch between MAP and TPS acceleration modes, so yes I set this to MAP. The Z value is the rpm range for which the enrichment applies. Z=0 is 0-2000 rpm, Z=1 is 2000-4000 rpm, and Z=2 is 4000-6000 rpm. You can set up each rpm zone for different enrichment values. There are two ways to do this. First is by directly editing cells 8, 9, and 10 in the very first row my earlier screen shot. Cell 8 is Z=0, cell 9 is Z=1, and cell 10 is Z=2, so you'll notice I have +4% in cell 8 for Z=0, which is the off-idle region. The second way to do this is by toggling to the ACCEL MODE screen. You'll notice that as you drive the displayed Z value will actually change as you cross the different rpm zones. If you want to edit Z=1, drive the car between 2000 and 4000 rpm and use the edit keys on the left side of the tuning module to enter the amount of enrichment you want. This allows you to adjust things on the fly.

Also, there is a RPM SW XXXX OFF which can be changed or set and then lists what I assume is an RPM value - can anyone explain what this does, and if there is a recommended setting, or is this something strictly test and tune?
Actually I'm not sure what this does and I've never touched it.

also, when fooling the altitude switch into closed loop, would the car naturally have more of a tendency to stall and/or not want to start and idle if/when it stalls? I haven't undone the 1.8k resistor, but it seems to be very stally since I bridged that and I want to make sure that would be logical for a closed loop driving setup before I start looking for problems...
I have mine set up for closed-loop operation without the 1.8k resistor. For part-throttle driving I prefer closed-loop for a couple reasons. One is that the DME actually does the fine-tuning of the fuel to maintain a 14.7:1 A/F ratio. The fuel maps in the Link box only need to be close enough so that the DME can take over and do the rest. The DME is much more accurate than anything you could do open loop. Second, if you have to pass a state emissions test like I do in MA, then you must have it in closed-loop. There's almost no chance you'll be able to get open-loop operation precise enough to stay in the critical A/F range (14.7:1) that you need to pass.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:13 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys should start using the drivers! Lots of fun stuff to be had! Thats where the cool stuff comes in!
Old 04-16-2005, 04:39 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

NZ - if I'm not mistaken you are referring to the more modern Link 2, yes? with the Link AFM, again if I'm not mistaken, we don't have as many cool functions - there isn't even the 'decay' setting you refer to (at least not that I can find anywhere) which I guess compliments the 'accel' function...
John, if I then read this correctly, you have every single 100-900 cell set to 0%, yes? After that you start massaging signals? Does this work well (Danno?) for the interpolation function? I thought I remembered reading way way back that because of the interpolation, many people were working on these specific cells to help combat the off idle/throttle tip in stumble?
Old 04-16-2005, 04:59 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Danno - should I hold off on playing with anything until we rectify the US vs Australia maps? I'd hate to dial things in the way I think they should be to find out I've been altering my Aus. fuel mapping ;o)
Old 04-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MachSchnell
John, if I then read this correctly, you have every single 100-900 cell set to 0%, yes? After that you start massaging signals? Does this work well (Danno?) for the interpolation function? I thought I remembered reading way way back that because of the interpolation, many people were working on these specific cells to help combat the off idle/throttle tip in stumble?
Yes, cells 100, 200, 300, 400, etc. are all set to zero. These are for the 0-500 rpm zone which is not ever hit in normal operation, so I didn't touch them. I'm not sure that putting anything other than zero in there would make a difference. Maybe Danno or somebody else can comment.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:35 AM
ewainwright
Racer

Jason

How are you doing with your system? I live in Lauderdale Lakes (Commerical and 441), have over a year playing the MAP Link system and my laptop is ready to go.

PM ed

Last edited by ewainwright; 04-18-2005 at 01:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Link/Guru MAP Tuning Help Needed