Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Where do these aluminum intake pipes get made for all the rice cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do these aluminum intake pipes get made for all the rice cars?

I broke my rubber Jboot the other day. so now I need to replace it. I see all these aluminum intake pipes on ebay for modern car out there. What kind of manufacturers are the ones that make these pipes. I know the idea of a metal jpipe has been thrown around here before. I still have the stock afm but thought since I need a jboot now why not try to find some place that will make me the pipe. Anyone know if there are certain types of fabricators that actually make all these intake pipes.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:03 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The aftermarket parts suppliers do not provide many speed parts specifically for 944's. Like you noticed, ricer stuff is everywhere. For 944 stuff, you have to go to a specialty supplier like Lindsey Racing, or as many do, adapt whats available. As an example, the ARC II piggyback fuel controler, was built for rice cars, but used on many 951's. But because of this, some of the functions available on the ARC II, do not work with the 951.

I bought 3" exhaust pipe from a muffler shop and fabricated a custom intake pipe myself. You can get premade bends (45,90,110) and straight sections. You can have the muffler shop bend for you. You can weld them together yourself, like I did. Or have the muffler shop weld.

The pipe I made, connects my MAF to the stock air box. Powder coated it fence black. Looks completely stock. Eliminated the cone filter setup.

They say......."Imagination is Intellegence having fun".
Old 04-14-2005, 03:09 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Pictures PLEASE Bill
Thats what I want to do for the Smog *****
regards
Ed
Old 04-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Ed,

It will cost ya a beer! just kidding.

You clever guy......saw right through the reason for removing a perfectly good cone filter. I have gone to even greater lengths that I will not divulge here. You never know who is reading these forums.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:23 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Ya Know, Davinder did an awsome job on his but he threw away the plans as to what he had done. I have another 7 + months
regards
Ed
Old 04-14-2005, 03:43 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased a 3' long SS pipe with a 45 deg bend in it, but i have some issues with the car before i measure up and start cutting and welding in the vacuum ports. EVer though of doing the same? it is a 3" pipe and i got some silicon reducers to 2.75" (new turbocharger comming) and so on.

could work quite well on the AFM if you dedicate some time into measurements, reducers etc.

How does that sound?
Old 04-14-2005, 04:02 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I 've had a 3" piece of steel tubing in my garage for at least a year just sitting there waiting for me to try this. Since I broke the j boot maybe I will now. Where would you get and what would you get for the ports? I imagine its small stainless tubing, but where would you get it from. I still have the afm. When I bought the tubing it was to maybe try making the kokeln kit that used to be availabale. Lindsey used to sell it but it came with a bunch of other stuff,,,$700. I remeber when I bought the tubing I had the hardest time trying to find a 2" to 3" reducer. never found one.
Old 04-15-2005, 02:47 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alpine: I had planned to get the smaller ports from a local metal company, which i still plan on doing.

I believe they are 8mm and 19mm dimentions (fuel purge system, crank breather, diverter valve) but i didn't measure the diverter valve hose dimentions yet, since this project is on hold for now.

As for the 2" to 3" hose: Click Here

Quick Reply: Where do these aluminum intake pipes get made for all the rice cars?