Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT: Street Racing, FL Ouch!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 03:46 PM
ztnedman1
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow... someone would be answering to me if my car was stolen after being towed, or there would be heads rolling....
Old 04-13-2005, 07:47 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone explain to me where in the proposed legislation it mentions anything at all about seizing vehicles for speeding? The proposal is to seize vehicles after the 2nd conviction for street racing. Contrary to what some on this board seem to be trying to imply as fact, speeding and street racing are not the same or even closely related.

If your concern is about dirty cops, then you should already be worried about having your car seized during any routine traffic stop because all that has to occur is the planting of enough illegal narcotics to convict you as a drug dealer and show that you were using the car in the transport of said illegal narcotics. Otherwise, you are simply crying about something that simply isn't going to happen.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:04 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bailey,
!st conviction or second conviction; it doesn't matter.
I think the concern , here, would be who's going to able to make that call and says you were street racing, and are there any clear definitions of what street racing is as opposed to other traffic violations.
If this is left up to the cop (I could hardly believe that this could be so), that would be A TERRIBLE THING.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly the point. How is "street racing" defined? There's no "due process" by a judge or jury to determine whether the definition is being met. It's simply enforced by the officer on the scene and they act as the final authority. Even if you're eventually exonerated and determined to have not been street racing, I'll bet you still have to pay out the nose for the state's screw-up in the form of towing and storage fees (to say nothing of inconvenience, potential loss of job, etc.)
Old 04-14-2005, 04:21 AM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

we've had that law here in NZ for a few years now. they nicknamed it the boyracer bill. there are harsh fines for street racing and in extreme cases, the cars can be confiscated. i think they auction them off and donate to charity. maybe NZ951 can confirm.

It hasn't really stopped boy racer activity but they get awfully pissed when their cars taken off them!
Old 04-14-2005, 09:44 AM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

A jury of your peers makes the call Tommy, thats the beauty of the US Justice System, police officers can only accuse you of a crime, they can't convict you of one. If anyone thinks a police officer can arbitrarily confiscate a car, you're simply being an alarmist and trying to drum up support for your position through scare tactics. It simply isn't going to happen. Even in drug cases, nothing in confiscated until a guilty verdict is reached by a jury. End of story.

I go back to my original statement, if you aren't street racing, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. If you are, then you're probably worried quite a bit about this.

Is this taking away another of our freedoms? Nope. Not even close. It's simply changing the punishment for what is already and illegal activity.

For those of you calling for increased fines rather than seizure. Would you still say fines are ok if the proposed law stated that instead of seizure of the automobile, a fine would be imposed equal to the market value of the car? Purely a hypothetical question, but I suspect if that had been the original proposal, the same people would be crying just as they are now.

I like that old saying "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime".

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Bailey,
!st conviction or second conviction; it doesn't matter.
I think the concern , here, would be who's going to able to make that call and says you were street racing, and are there any clear definitions of what street racing is as opposed to other traffic violations.
If this is left up to the cop (I could hardly believe that this could be so), that would be A TERRIBLE THING.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:02 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"By the way does someone know if florida has SMOG inspections(I sure hope not)??"

Absoultely NO inspections
Old 04-14-2005, 10:05 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Good point; Street racing??? or just reckless driving???

Would certainly contain plenty of wiggle room for a good lawyer and/or a trial. Now if we are talking lawyers and trial costs, time, then a big waste of taxes for 2 people jsut racing.

Now, if the outcome of a proven "street race" resulted in accident, injuries, death, etc. then would be the time to get the courst/jury's involved. Much like a DUI, vs. DUI with injuries.

Quick Reply: OT: Street Racing, FL Ouch!!