Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Why I love these cars

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These cars have too much power to safely race people who want to challenge me in traffic. However, on a couple of of occasions I have been followed/tailgated by jackasses on two lane highways who really get on my nerves. My favourite response is to plan for a passing zone and, just before I get it, I will slow down twenty or thirty miles an hour, wait till the jackass is right on my bumper and also slowed, then floor it in third and make my pass. El loco burro has his timing totally screwed and doesn't have the power to pass after having lost all his momentum, and fades away into traffic behind (or hopefully dies of coronary/apoplexy!) I love boost, even at (or near) the legal speed limit!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:05 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm glad you guys posted this--I've been wondering lately if I'm crazy because everytime I go out in my car, I absolutely love it. Granted, I don't have near the power most of you guts have (Weltmeister chips, LBE, boost=13psi) but the car seems to fly. So I was actually going to post a thread about whether these cars are that good or if I'm just fooling myself. Those of you who also have newer Porsches (996,997,986, etc.), how do you think our beloved 951 stands up to them? I mean alot of technology has come and gone since the '80's and we all know Porsche hasn't been sitting idle. So I'm curious to know what you think?

FWIW, the only people who ever try to race me are SUV's or trucks--they seem to be the only people around here who drive fast. Either they're slowing you down on a fun, curvy canyon road or they're trying to beat you to the next traffic light!
Old 04-12-2005, 06:14 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRealLefty
But in the Turbo S, hunting for ricers on long stretches of mountainous interstate is great sport. Department of Natural Resources should issue a license for it.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:26 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even 5th gear pull starting at 80mph put you in "cuff me I was going so fast" speeds real quick. I have the joy of commting on an open highway every day and this is a great car to do it in.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Evan70
Pro

Yeah, 80 in 5th is not bad at all. I can hit full boost almost instantly, but then that's probably partially due to my wastegate and EBC. The thing that people don't really realize with these cars, is that by 3500rpm they are putting out as much (or more) torque as most V8s twice their displacement (or larger). Add in the steep gearing (compared to most cars) and the relatively light weight, and these things accelerate faster than just about anything else on the road.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

We all love this period car for its' stunningly sexy silhouette, squat, wide and low stance, and great fuel economy, for a sports car. There really isnt a single bad angle this car can be viewed at. Designers Harm Lagaay(original 924) and Tony Lapine(944/968) had the right idea, since 1972. The "coke bottle" fenders, and aggressive stance makes the 944 appealing even today. Tha handling is still regarded as almost the best on the planet. Only a few of the $60k+ "supercars " can humble the 951. I get stopped regularly to be asked questions, or to make purchase offers. Its my son's future car. I cannot sell it. Best of all- this anti Mid-Life crisis toy is just what we responsible adults need in this high time of war, and unrest.

Zach
Old 04-28-2005, 01:31 PM
DivineE
Racer

Firstly I’d just like to add my agreement to all that’s been said! 3rd gear acceleration is amazing, overtaking power is awesome fun and yes I love driving to work!

But also to answer an earlier question. I don’t own a newer Porsche but I can safely say I’ve been a passenger in many of the new models and even the likes of the 996 Gt2 although considerably faster doesn’t give the same exhilaration factor on hard acceleration! There’s something about the kick in the back ‘all at once’ acceleration from the 80’s turbo’s which is just cannot be matched by newer ‘smoother’ models I love it!!

p.s. A 993 would WASTE the 944 in cornering and braking though! Wow does that thing stop!

Ben
Old 04-28-2005, 05:13 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Evan70
The thing that people don't really realize with these cars, is that by 3500rpm they are putting out as much (or more) torque as most V8s twice their displacement (or larger). Add in the steep gearing (compared to most cars) and the relatively light weight, and these things accelerate faster than just about anything else on the road.
Agreed!

I myself have noticed a real change in my drving behavior. I dont get into boost near as often as I used to and if some ricer revs at me or pulls up next to me 99% of the time I just let them go. They can't see inside the car anyways so I just let them wonder. There seems to be more power in keeping them guessing than anything. Besides I have raced enough real cars in my life to warrent the respect. Most people read the badge and dont want any anyways.

Also when you making the tq that we were talking about things brake when you run. I blew out a right rear cv completely shifting to 2nd gear from hard accel in first running you guessed it! some ricer that wouldnt leave me alone. I bought new axels the next week and called it a day. Never again will I waste my gas.

This is a good thread is teaches some of the older crew that even us young ones arent the ones who get mixed up in a spirited race at times. It happens we all do it. I just think as you get older it happens less and less. Now I just dont run like I used too cause I feel like I have been there and done that kind of thing. I have driven my 951 twice in the past two weeks and both times I never even saw 5psi.

I do have fun with friends on occasion. Gotta love the freeway at a night. 3rd gear 50-100 sprint and its all over but the crying
Old 04-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do love my 951 but I can't wait until I can get even more boost. A t04e is probably in the future. . . yes. I can see it now. The image is clearer. . . yes. It is. . .

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:31 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I do love my 951 but I can't wait until I can get even more boost. A t04e is probably in the future. . . yes. I can see it now. The image is clearer. . . yes. It is. . .

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooost.
to4e

All hail the to4e!
Old 04-28-2005, 05:36 PM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally Posted by gmsracing
That's the best part about these cars! When you get on the boost in 3rd it just pulls and pulls all the way until 4th runs out. The acceleration rate almost seems linear from 60-140. I haven't had the chance to run out 5th yet. The only car I've driven that is faster is a Ferrari 550.
I have a clip of a Porker doing 60-140 in about 6.5 seconds. Now thats impressive..
Old 04-28-2005, 06:32 PM
daniel951
Race Car

when the car runs it is simply amazing on how fast i can get it up to 100mph. I only raced a few cars which were done at 13psi but i completely embrassed a evo with his girl.lol . after that he never tried racing me again everytimei see him. his buddy that saw the race in a roush said he won't even try since he has seen the power. And another kid though he would come up to me and ask to race his 300zx turbo and i said nah i am untuned still so i took him for a drive around 13psi and he said he almost got sick. lol
Old 04-29-2005, 09:24 AM
DivineE
Racer

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
I have a clip of a Porker doing 60-140 in about 6.5 seconds. Now thats impressive..
You can't say something like that and not show us the clip!! Come on...

Ben
Old 04-29-2005, 11:09 AM
special tool
Banned

Yeah, man. WTF - let's see it!!
Or you are goig to have a lynch mob...
Old 04-29-2005, 11:42 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by slim_boy_fat
What's a Porker?

I love the Jekyll & Hyde personality of the cars. I can drive it around like any old 4-banger (granted, with incredible handling and looks), then, with a slightly firmer press of the fun pedal, it's a rocket.

Does anyone else notice this: when I want to accelarate briskly, but not full out, I give it 3/4 throttle, then as the boost comes on, I actually have to let up on the pedal to keep the boost under control, while the power continues to build. Wild!

And yes, I know what you mean. I rarely have anyone want to "race" me (all dull cars & drivers around here), but I often get offers to buy("Here's my card, call me if you ever want to sell this car")! I toss the cards!

Quick Reply: Why I love these cars