Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weltmeister chips question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 05:34 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Weltmeister chips question

Anyone know what the mapping limit for Weltmeister chips is? I was considering going to 15 psi as I believe that's the limit, although I don't know where I saw that and there's no information on the web site. Can I go higher? Should I just leave 'em alone running stock boost? I'd prefer to not have to blow money on more chips yet.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:41 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

If you have the Weltmeister chips, you should also have the wastegate shim and 3 bar FPR which will raise your boost. I never hooked an accurate boost gauge to mine, but I think the chips are designed to run around 14 psi.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:42 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

At the moment I have a 4mm shim on the wastegate and show boost level at stock (approx. 1.8 bar). That's it. I suppose I could hook another boost gauge to it to verify, but I doubt I'm making much more than stock.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:03 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess and check!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:09 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I could do that, but I'd rather not get a milkshake.
Old 04-05-2005, 08:29 PM
pk951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you had a WB youi could check the AFR with those chips.

My Swiss dynoed his old car with those chips at 13.5 psi he made 240 RWHP !
Old 04-05-2005, 09:00 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

They are disgned for higher boost that falls off inthe upper rpms. So if you maintain the 14 or 15psi to redline you will run VERY lean.

I had the opportunity to see my pisons/head/valves after running Weltmeister chips.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:53 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the luxury of having an all wheel drive dyno at work-and have begun testing some products on my '88.

Currently the car has:
Weltmeister Chips
Shimmed Factory Wastegate
Manual Boost Controller (Accuboost)
Cat Bypass.
Stock K26/6 (130k miles)

At 12psi, it made 220hp to the wheels (258.8 at the motor). The boost was falling off hard.

I've got a Tial wastegate on the way, and we'll run it after that.

Next will be a different Turbo set-up if I can get more cores. We're looking at making a highflow K26. It's WAY early in the development stages-so don't get excited yet.

At any rate, I can lay boost and A/F over the power curve, so I can show that. I'm planning on taking it to 15psi to see what happens. So i should have an answer next week-
Old 04-06-2005, 10:39 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://darklightning.com/motronic/viewforum.php?f=12 - Made for a fact-based discussion on chips; might help if people chip in (bad pun) what they know.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:37 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Why would a different wastegate help? A wastegate removes flow FROM the turbo - why then would you want a different one? A shimmed factory one seems like it'd remain closed long enough and has pretty good response in opening only when it needs to.

Your study interests me greatly though. Are you able to dial up boost at all? I'm very curious to know what that setup you have (which is very close to mine) would yield at 13.5 or 14 psi of boost (you indicate that map max. is 14). If the chips will handle it and are mapped to handle this level all the way to redline, I'd think it'd be a very easy upgrade and time for some real fun. . . I imagine the wise thing to do would be to start at 13 psi or so and work up in .2 psi increments with a wideband monitor until getting to 14 or whatever point you start to have stoich. problems. I imagine you wouldn't be able to lock in the boost level quite at 14 psi due to the shimming, but it'd probably be close - maybe 13.8 or so (?) Sounds like that'll make some really fun power until I can get something that will allow for higher levels to be attained.
Old 04-07-2005, 05:20 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You have a very similar set-up to me--I'd be curious to know how much difference there is with and without the cat since I live where I've got to keep it?

Also, check out this thread--I think it might have some info you'd be interested in. I was so surprised to learn how much power the weltmeisters make.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/171282-1986-951-f-s.html

And if you still need some facts, try Gabe at www.strasseusa.com

He's one of the original designers of the weltmeister chips and knows about their optimum boost levels.

I currently run 13psi and am also curious to raise to 14 or 15, but I first want some kind of air/fuel ratio gauge so I don't do something stupid.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

A better wastegate does two things:
  • It opens wider and allows more air to pass by, which helps limit boost when you need to.
  • It has a stronger spring, which helps keep the wastegate closed when you need more boost.
You're faking a stronger spring inside the stock wastegate by shimming it. What I plan on is a TiAL wastegate with an 17-18psi spring. This will improve spool and help keep boost near redline.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

I have Weltmeister chips in my track car. I did not run with the stock wastegate, only Turbonetics wastegate and boost controller. I ran 17 PSI boost for two years with stock FPR and injectors, mixed 20% race fuel with premium gas and had no problem so it couldn't have been lean. The race gas was only for prevention of detonation. I didn't have the wide band and data logger then so I have no data to offer.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:32 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

17 psi? Wow! Sounds like some research in this area is certainly called for. I'm very curious to know how much power could be made with that much boost, although my understanding with the k26/6 is that it will not sustain higher boost levels at high RPM. Anyone know what the maximum SUSTAINABLE level is with the k26? I initially figured 15 psi would work in this manner, but then came across dark lightning's information that the maximum mapped level on the Welt. chips is 14 psi. Is his information accurate or did they maybe have more than one kind of chips with different maps?

It sounds like the best way to find out is to get a wideband and the EBC and find out for myself - carefully although I was sort of hoping someone knew for sure what would safely work without having to go blow another $200. I guess it's an investment for tuning though.

Thanks for all the information guys - keep it coming if you have it!
Old 04-07-2005, 11:45 AM
Dark Lightning
Pro

The 14psi limit I heard (and then posted on) is based on 91-93 octane. Bear in mind that Claus's 17psi was on better gas than the Soviet Republik of Kalifornia allows for sale at the pump.

And yes, a wideband is invaluable.

Quick Reply: Weltmeister chips question