Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Helpful suggestions building a 3.0 Turbo 8 valve please?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 05:10 PM
gcb951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helpful suggestions building a 3.0 Turbo 8 valve please?

Hi everyone,
I am new to this site but have been envolved with 944s for some time now. I have been doing as much research as I can on building a 3.0 turbo using the 8 valve head from a regular 2.5 turbo. My car is a 1986 944 turbo. The reason I am building the 3.0 is I scored one of the cylinders when debris got into the intake some how and of course to make gobbs of power. I am using a 944 S2 lower half, block and crank. My question is, beside having the 8 valve head modified to fit on the larger bore block, what else must I do to make this a successful build? To be more specific, is the water pump, belts, and engine sensors the same on the 944 S2 3.0 block? I have big plans for this build. I am using lighter internals such as titanium connecting rods, forged pistons, lightened and knife edged crank, and light wieght flywheel. This project will most definately take me a few years but I am going use the most quality parts and proceedures. If anyone can help me out by making good suggestions in regards to building high performnce 3.0 turbo, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:14 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Give Chris White a call... he is by far one of the most experienced in this kind of engine work. PS You will be looking at a HUGE bill for the mods you want to do!

Are you doing the build yourself?
Old 04-01-2005, 05:15 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see your new, welcome. Try the search function. This has been covered about ten million times but,
waterpump, belts are fine and most sensors will work.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:31 PM
sl951
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're going Big.. I wouldn't go with titanium connecting rods, save that money and get a 16Valve head.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:45 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gcb951:

Welcome to the money pit my friend! Seriously, if I can help you out at all, please "PM" me. I just finished my 3.0L 8V project recently. And boy oh boy, it was a long haul too! So, I have a wealth of "personal" experience with your type of long-term project. And just so you know, there are several "top" experts in this community to talk to, not just one. One of them is named Scott Gomes, who you can research on here or contact him directly via his web site which is www.area951.com. And there are various routes you can take when building this, it just depends on your application and budget too.

If you don't have a budget devised yet, I highly suggest you do it now. For it will be way to easy to over spend on your venture as things progress. If you click near my signature below, you can visit my home page and see my 3.0L project.

Let me know if I can help, and once again welcome aboard.

Old 04-01-2005, 09:18 PM
chilibluepepper
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome, and good luck with your endeavor. As Evil mentioned, this topic is a recurring one, and most of the basic stuff has been covered in previous threads. I myself am involved in such a build, and can tell you its not for the weak of wallet! I agree about the Ti rods, I don't think they are justified, and this project will eat enough of your money without getting into frivolous expenses. Review previous threads, and you'll get a sense of what's involved, and the different approaches people have taken. I'd be happy to share my experience thus far, but I'm not done yet, and don't know whether my approach/handiwork is worth a damn!
Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

PM sent my friend!

Quick Reply: Helpful suggestions building a 3.0 Turbo 8 valve please?