Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Westleys Bleach-White and aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:53 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Westleys Bleach-White and aluminum

It says on the bottle not to use on aluminum and magnesium and that permanent damage can result. Are there any chemists onboard that can explain what to be worried about? I know for a fact it cleans the heck out of dirty aluminum parts, and I have a slightly dirty 944 engine that I would like to clean up before putting it in my car... Obviously, I don't want to damage anything, so I figured I would ask here first.

Comments?

Regards,
Old 04-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Advice please

BUMP
I would like to as well
I just picked up an Eagle one product that says cleans cast aluminum,
but only to use it on cast aluminum because it will destroy a shiny finish.
I used a small amount on the cam tower and asI had expected it would foam and
turn the cast aluminum almost white then you and to wash it off in 30 seconds
It really cleaned it up but the deep color of the aluminum is kinda gone ..
I am sure that with some polishing that it would come back nicely
Your thought please ...GUYS
Thanks in advance
Regards
Ed
Old 04-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

I used to manage a full service car wash that used various agents to clean different wheels. I am not sure of the chemical reaction itself, but most cleaners will pit or haze polished aluminum wheels. Something in the solution breaks down a small amount of aluminum on the top layer allowing you to wash it away and see a clean layer, and takes the dirt, stains, and shine with it.

You probably wouldn't notice on a cast part, like a block, but I wouldn't get it in the cylinders.

EDIT: I just had a random thought. I think phosphorus is the agent used and aluminum phosphate is the result. (The white stuff) With the other solvents and waxes in the cleaner solution, it washes away and leaves a small coating so you don't see it for a while. Unitl the solution is fully gone, the reaction will continue and sooner or later you will see the white stuff come back. I use some soapy water and WD-40 as my cleaning solutions for aluminum parts. Cleans well and leaves a nice shine.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ed, What is the eagle one product? I can probably find a MSDS and tell you what's inside that can react with Aluminum.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey Mike
First I gotta tell you ...I love this polisher/ buffer. I had only done 1/2 of the stainless J pipe ..I looks like chrome !! And that was with using just the x fast cut.I can't wait to start the Intake Manifold ..etc. I am going to have to get more small attachments ( bobs ect. to get into those areas where the runners both down ( that's gonna be a bitch I am sure )
Thanks so much for you help ...
Man I just read the bottle again ..I couldn't read one of the ingredients with out these reading glasses ..I know I am getting old but **** can't they make the type a little bigger.
EDIT: I just had a random thought. I think phosphorus is the agent used and aluminum phosphate is the result. (The white stuff) With the other solvents and waxes in the cleaner solution, it washes away and leaves a small coating so you don't see it for a while. Thanks Perry
I knew it had phosphoric acid but the other ingredient is Hydrofluoric acid Jeezzz
That's the **** they use to etch glass isn't ...
This is not something you want to breath when it hit the aluminum
Regards
Ed
Old 04-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear the polishing is going well. The fast cut stuff is awesome.

HF is very bad. I'd find another cleaner. I doubt it contains a large percent of HF, but I'd still stay away.

Quick Reply: Westleys Bleach-White and aluminum