Are these stock wheels? + bonus question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:01 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben - that car has been for sale for a LONG time...
Been in the rennlist classifieds too... I wanted it, almost had to buy it, didn't, wished I had.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:28 AM
aventari
Instructor

Should I look at N/A 944's instead of 951's if I'm looking for a car that I will also flog around the track? I'm not very experienced with racing, a few track days and a course at Bondurant school, and all my experience is FWD. RWD scares me a bit. Does anyone think a 951 would be too much on a track?

edit: also everyone keeps saying a PPI is a good idea. I fancy myself a good mechanic, so do you need to _really_ know these cars to look at a used one?

Last edited by aventari; 04-01-2005 at 01:28 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:00 AM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

951 is a natural track car, well balanced and powerful. I could outrun them through the turns in my old 914 but any straight at all and POW! they were gone...except for that guy who lost the turbo right in front of me at Carolina. He was in front of me and I was carrying a lot more speed coming out of the turn when he got on it, HUGE cloud of black smoke and I was dodging left!

I've tracked n/a 944s before, can't wait to get my 951 out.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:20 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

944 NA's are great track cars. Much cheaper to run and aquire. Down Side is they are relativly slow down the straights. The 951 is excellent track/street car. I have got my 88 Turbo S in 1997 and started tracking and autocrossing it in 98. They are OK for autocross. In autocross the problem is powerband of the turbo does not suit the low speeds. On they hwy a stock Turbo S has plenty of passing power and great driver. Excellent in long drives either on flat roads or twisty roads. It is really great fun and can hang with all the latest Porsche's on the street. I have been on many drives with the local Porsche club and my 951 S is match for any other Porsche given what you can reasonably accomplish on the street.

On the track a 951 is excellent track car. I ran mine compelelty stock on street tires for while. I loved it. The down side was that I did want to damage my nice car on the track and lots of track time get hard on cars. Not really to the point they will break, but you get many many rock chips, and in general it hard to have a track car be "pretty".

I inturn decided to make dedicated track car from a 84 944 and wrecked 87 924S. While this car has 100 less hp. I felt just fine about beating the stuffing out of it at the track. I stripped it out and for a reasonable sum built at home rather quickly little track car. In the next years I learned to drive much faster than I did using my 951 and now race that 944 in 944 only class in Arizona. There is a similar class running in So-Cal through NASA and POC.

I found that while I love my 951S on the track my preppared 944 is faster due to its modifications. I still keep my 951S stock and like it that way.

Now it is my feeling that if you want a nice weekend street driver couple times a year track car a 944 Turbo S is really nice. Keep it stock to enjoy it the most. If you like to tinker and are more focused on have a nice track car that is streetable and can be used for weekend drives then non S 944 is probably better. Reason is you can modify the 951 to make them very fast on the track. Many of these modifications are beyond what Turbo S has and in fact will replace many of the Turbo S "extras". Therefore you are paying more for the S only remove the reason you paid more. There are no "S" features (except for the 3" chassis plates on the front stuts towers) that you cannot retro fit to a non s car or superceed with other "bolt-on" mods. If you are looking to make super street legal track car there are 3 or 4 951S parts that really nice to have, but in most case the standard 951 parts or an aftermarket part will work. Example of the those 951S parts are front hubs and spindles. These are a bit stronger and probably the best you can get for a 944. Still for track car that is not 100% allout the normal 951 parts are great. The front brakes on the 951 S are from the 928 S4 and are nice upgrade to the 951 units. You can of couse go to big reds which are even bigger. The hardening of first and second gears is nice in the turbo S, but I really don't know how weak the normal ones are. The suspension and power upgrades in the S can be easily exceeded by tapping into the aftermarket. An LSD for example is nice, but many non S cars had these too.

So the 944 Turbo S is really best admired in stock form, but a lightly modded normal 944 turbo will be faster at the track than a stock S and a heavily modded (stripped out) 944 NA will be best place to learn car control and momentum at the expense of being anything you would want to road drive.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:44 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's one of those "on again-off again" things Brad. I don't want to sell it to a goof, but someone who will take care of it like I do. And then, I only want to sell it to fund a 911 project, and the right one of those hasn't shown itself. Originally, we needed to sell for $$-but I kept holding out long enough so that the money issue solved itself.

I'm sure it will be for sale for a while yet-too many circumstances need to drop into place-but in the meantime I still love it. It's going to get a new Lindsey Racing Wastegate next week...I just can't help working on it-
Old 04-01-2005, 03:44 PM
jim944s2
Racer

<Should I look at N/A 944's instead of 951's if I'm looking for a car that I will also flog around the track? I'm not very experienced with racing, a few track days and a course at Bondurant school, and all my experience is FWD. RWD scares me a bit. Does anyone think a 951 would be too much on a track?>
If you've got a 1.8 or bigger in your Vw, it's as fast as a stock N/A. 951s are very well balanced, and much easier to drive than 911's and a lot of other cars. A stock 951 is about right for about 2-3 lapping events, then you start wanting more power! btw, don't refer to lapping days as racing, they're not. You will pass and be passed, but it's mostly non-competitive. The guys who consider it competition are mostly the ones that end up in a wall of tires, and not always by themselves.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:25 PM
aventari
Instructor

Thanks for the great information. I'm continuing my search for the perfect 951 S

This car was posted int he classifieds a month ago and I've contacted they guy, he seems very honest and the car sounds good. Anyone know this car? http://mall.rennlist.com/scripts/fea...uery=retrieval
Old 04-01-2005, 06:29 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Those in fact ARE stock wheels - though they have been chromed. My car came with them and the trunk sheet shows they were part of an "appearence package" that included sports seats and the "Turbo" script on the fender...My avatar will show that I didn't like the wheels either, though they are forged and great track rims...
Old 04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
Evan70
Pro

I know you could get them on a 944 Turbo, but I do not think they were available on the 944 Turbo S. So they would not be stock wheels for the car in question.
Old 04-01-2005, 06:37 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The were stock on some 944 Turbo's, but not the Turbo S Aventari is reffering to.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They were never a stock wheel for a 951, they were ALWAYS a special order option. They were stock for some 928 variants.
Old 04-01-2005, 07:21 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

HyM8NC, you may have me their. My car is a non-S. Matt, I stand corrected. They were not stock, but were a factory option...Got me on the semantics...

Quick Reply: Are these stock wheels? + bonus question