No BOOST And I found out why.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 10:57 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So my question is... they CUT and WELDED your cross over pipe instead of taking it off?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:28 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yea, and he still defends the mechanic (hack). Tell me, what is this mechanic's name, it wouldn't be Mike would it? There are a lot of "mechanics" in Toronto that talk big. There are only a few shops that actually do a good job.

This guy IS NOT A GOOD MECHANIC! Nobody should be so lazy that they CUT AND WELD the crossover pipe. They screwed up and now they owe you a turbo.

Dal.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:58 AM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

I am definately unhappy with this situation, i am not defending this mechanic. I expect this to be taken care of in a professional manner meaning he will owe me big time for anything related to this problem. I do not want to get ahead of myself by accusing him until the troubleshooting is checked out.
I expect him to take responsibility for my blown turbo and hacked crossover make no mistake, if it turns out he is at fault.
First thing in the morning i will be back to resolve or collect.

Last edited by 951TurboEuroSpec; 04-01-2005 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Just to clarify my remarks.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh dear, what a terrible job they've done...
I can't believe they would do something like that.
Make sure the oil lines and such are correctly attached to the turbo. it sounds like either it siezed up, or something is lodged in it, both are equally possible. A turbo usually won't just sieze out of the blue with no warning.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:46 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

I'm going to put money of a peice of pipe from his cut and weld lodged itself in the turbo... they don't just seize! Good luck!
~Eyal
Old 04-01-2005, 09:50 AM
smokey
Pro

I've got a used 26/6 which is think is still in spec, and I don't need it any more. I'll sell it cheap.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eyal 951
I'm going to put money of a peice of pipe from his cut and weld lodged itself in the turbo... they don't just seize! Good luck!
~Eyal
Exactly...I would bet the same thing.
Old 04-01-2005, 10:31 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm I the only one wondering WHY he cut the crossover pipe??? WHY??????
Old 04-01-2005, 10:56 AM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
I'm I the only one wondering WHY he cut the crossover pipe??? WHY??????
Maybe he could not figure out how to get to the bolts on the turbo side??? Seems like cutting and welding would have been harder?????
Old 04-01-2005, 12:00 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 595 Posts

You have been sodomized my friend. Many of us have inadvertently screwed up our own cars but paying someone else for the priviledge is even worse. Take it to the guys that Dal mentioned and have the first shop pick up the expense.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:00 PM
951TurboEuroSpec
Instructor

So the car is being checked as we speak to see if anything has been lodged in the Turbo. If it turns out that it is their fault then the car will be repaired free of charge to me. But if it turns out to be a tired turbo then we must still determine the next step.

As for the crossover pipe it is being resolved right now. with an updated version.

To be honest i never had a problem with this shop in the past 7 years and he has always come through for me when ive needed assistance. ALTHOUGH I KNOW THE CROSSOVER HACK WAS BUCK****. as long as it is taken care of (thats that..) Unfortunatley depending on the outcome i have to reacess were my car will be taken.
as for the Turbo this is something we will still have to deal with. Im on my way out to the shop to see whats up.
I will update.
What will cause the turbo to seaze/, No Oil, something lodged in propeller?
Any other variables i can be knowledged about.
If its not one if these two things.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:05 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

951.. I don't know your real name...

An old/tired turbo would first smoke (oil seals gone) and then when it's really old would have a lot of lateral play - to the point of the compressor fins making contact with the housing and rubbing on it. You would really, REALLY notice the oil smoke. The only thing that would cause the turbo to seize would be negligence. There is either something stuck in the turbo hot side from the weld, or the oil supply is insufficient something stuck in the lines - or massive coke build-up in the bearings. The massive build up of coke is not really a problem with these turbos as they are water cooled both via an electric pump at shutdown (controlled by a thermostat) and by natural convention afterwards. These cars don't have a problem of oil coking because of this system. The heat should never get to a point where it'll burn the oil and cause deposits.

Good luck with the resolution, but I'd go and get another opinion. Right now it's in the shop's best interest to tell you that they are not at fault. You will not get an unbiased opinion from this place. They are the ones that cut the pipe to begin with, they are obviously not interested in doing a good job (otherwise they would have done it right the first time).

Oh yea, this shop is unknown in the "good" porsche shops circle in Toronto. Just FYI.

Good luck!

Dal.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 111 Posts

You might as well get a rebuilt turbo on there anyway if they are in that far. It's a pain to change.
Hopefully it's another shop doing the current work so they won't up and decide it's not their fault the welding slag and overspeeding killed your turbo... which it probaby was.

-Joel

Quick Reply: No BOOST And I found out why.....