Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cam Tower install -- oil drool prevention?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2005, 12:02 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Cam Tower install -- oil drool prevention?

I started up my engine last night after replacing the head gasket. All seems ok. Have not gotten the coolant level to stabilize yet, but I'm hoping that is just air working its way out...

It took forever to burn all the oil off the headers. The oil drooled all over the headers when I re-installed the cam tower. Anyone have any tips for re-installing the cam tower without having its oil drip all over the place (like all over its gasket and the headers)? I am not too excited about draining and drying the cam tower, due to starvation on start-up.

I need to pull the tower again to re-torque the head studs (Raceware), so will have another chance at this very soon. Suggestions?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:17 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It does make a mess, I usually stuff rags around the headers, this does help but not enough and if you have the headers wrapped it will ruin the wrap.

I with Tom, anybody found a clean method ?
Old 03-30-2005, 12:31 PM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One ideal would be to let the oil drain out before putting the cam tower on, to help reduce the amount drippping. Then after installation you could "inject" some oil throught the allen headed bolt holes. It's not perfect, but it is what I did.

Another idea is to just let it get messy, then clean it up with brake parts cleaner or some degreaser. I know that this is not however ideal.

Any other ideas?

-John
Old 03-30-2005, 12:55 PM
RPG951S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cam tower is going to be squeeky clean when I install it. I'm going to pack it up with engine assembly lube and inject some oil thru the allen head bolt holes after I install it, however

I'm guessing the tower can't possibly have 'that' much oil in it after removal, there nowhere for it to pool...
Old 03-30-2005, 12:57 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The mess for me is on removal of the cam tower not on install.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:31 PM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
The mess for me is on removal of the cam tower not on install.
same here. i say clean it well (tank it or just use parts cleaner / rags) then assembly-lube it and use a funnel to put a little oil in up there via the allen caps after it's installed / before startup... you should be priming the oil system by cranking the engine over w/o spark/fuel first as it is.

Quick Reply: Cam Tower install -- oil drool prevention?