boost problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 11:50 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost problem?

I did a search on here, and came up with a lot of different boost problems, but nothing that is exactly like the problem I am having. Here is the deal: My turbo spools up really well, and usually pulls pretty hard in 3rd on---, however, first and second, there is not much boost, ESPECIALLY in first gear. I am embarassed to launch the car. The factory "boost" gauge reads around 1,5-1,6 bar under full boost. It was a little worse than that, and I tightened up all of the clamps on the turbo piping, and that helped. The other thing is, when you have the window(s) down, and you step on the car hard, there is a strange smell. It is not oil, and it doesn't smell so much like gasoline fumes, it is a strange smell, and in first gear, when you step on the car hard, it throws out a small puff of smoke, which is not white or blue; I would say it is black, but looks more like a little bit of dust, it is not a noticeable smoke. It only does this in first gear.

A little help from the Porsche guru's would be great!

Also, as a side note, I DO intend on replacing all of my vacuum lines. I have on the way, an Autothority MAF kit, greddy type s BOV (I am going to have a flange welded on the stock piping to accept this), and I am waiting to do the vacuum lines, until I install these items.

Thanks for the help, in advance!
Old 03-25-2005, 11:58 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It may be your clutch smell in first! lol

I never made much boost in first either with the stock turbo and WG...
Old 03-25-2005, 11:59 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

LOL, no it is not the clutch, the clutch holds like it is brand new. It grabs very strong.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:10 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

What your describing sounds like a intake leak somewhere. What you are smelling could be a rich mixture. Very common problem with our cars. Have you addressed any of the vac lines under the hood and manifold? Also check the intercooler pipes and fittings. You may just want to pressurize the whole system and check for leaks that way.
Old 03-26-2005, 12:25 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I haven't checked any of the vac lines at all. The IC pipes and fittings are all tight, but the hoses could use replacing. I ordered new couplers for the IC piping, which I will install with the MAF and BOV. Is there anything, as far as the vacuum lines and system goes, that I will be able to *delete*, since I will have the MAF and BOV?
Old 03-26-2005, 02:24 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

You can delete the CV (Cycling valve, stock boost control, if you get a manual boost controller) You can delete the whole venturi mess under the manifold, with all those hard lines under there. I've done both, and glad to be rid of them. Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Running rich is your smoke you are seeing, and that smell is running rich.
~Eyal
Old 03-26-2005, 08:01 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a catylist, you would start there.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:46 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

^^Catylist meaning Catylatic Converter? I have plans to remove this and put a straight pipe in it's place, but I had some concerns about noise levels. I know a guy with a NA that did it, and when he downshifts and lets off the gas, the car pops really loud......Is this something I will have to deal with?

Quick Reply: boost problem?