Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New clutch: Better grip, but no boost

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 09:11 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tommye - that is correct about the broken nipple, boost will increase.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:02 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, the no-boost problem Big John had when his WG hose blew off was because he's running a MBC and no cycling valve?

In that case, I guess I'll have to check the hoses in the CV area. Over the past 4 years I've only driven this car 7 or 8K miles, but getting on the boost just about every chance I get.

How about the BOV membrane being torn, like might have been the case the last time something like this happened?
Old 03-24-2005, 11:24 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would expect that if it were purely a leak in the system, that you would hear very loud air rushing sounds when you went to get into the boost...thats what I heard when my IC pipe blew off. It is possible that it's a leak in the diaphragm, couldn't hurt to check that out.

Disconnect the line to the WG and see if you can get any boost....be gentle with it though as you now have zero boost control. Don't take it over where the gauge normally reads. You will be able to generate boost with much less throttle than before if everything is working right.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:43 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adrial
Disconnect the line to the WG and see if you can get any boost....be gentle with it though as you now have zero boost control. Don't take it over where the gauge normally reads. You will be able to generate boost with much less throttle than before if everything is working right.
I appreciate the suggestion, but with my luck I would overdo it and blow the HG.

Last thing I need after paying Euro dealer prices for the stock Turbo S parts or my mech wouldn't do the job for me.

I'll try this as a last resort after going over all the lines to the CV, connection and maybe even getting a new BOV.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

OK, just posted the fix to another related thread, but it belongs here for the archives' sake.

Turns out my intuition was quite close. I traced the vacuum line from the BOV and sure enough, the opposite end was disconnected from the rubber Y-piece that's fitted to the fuel pressure damper.

Must have happened when I pulled the airbox cover off to check the filter element.

On the bright side, I now have BOOST! YEAH BABY! Stomp on the pedal in 2nd, 3rd, or 4th, and that thing shoots forward like a slingshot. The feeling of acceleration with the top down is just exhilarating. God I love this car.

The new Turbo S clutch feels really smooth and grippy, although the parts cost me so much I'm not sure how glad I am I followed Tommye's advice in putting it in the car!

Seriously Tommy, if you ever get around to replacing yours, those OE Porsche parts are going to put a SERIOUS dent in your wallet.

Oh well. I'm so happy -I GOT BOOST!

Quick Reply: New clutch: Better grip, but no boost