Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Modifications... where should i start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 04:42 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Modifications... where should i start?

Im going to start modifying my car quite soon as the money allows me to and i was looking for some advice as to where to start. Im looking for little over 300hp as well as new suspension, rims/tires, flywheel etc... As i said i can only do so much with money. I figure this will be a two summer job since when im in college i get very little income. What do you guys think i should start with? The engine performance, or the chassis/suspension?
Also for the engine performance... Should i just go with a kit? or get a standalone system, chips, ceramic coat the manifold etc? Id kind of like the idea of doing the standalone and do alot if tuning since i want to do a project where i can get great spool up time and still get little over 300 hp with the k26/6. Anyone think that a project like this is suicide? And that i should just go for something like a stage1 from vitesse?
Old 03-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Funcrusher
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well this is my opinion,
I say you should start with suspension and support modifications before you go into engine work.
Reason being,if you get into engine work first,and something does happen suspension wise you will end up spending more money down there than you should have.
If you do suspension first,Ie; maybe some shocks,better springs,rotors,brake pads,axles/joints even,whatever you feel is needed,when you go into engine work you can enjoy it more so without the worry you would of a stock suspension set up.
Anyways,you can start anyway youd wish,but thats is my opinion.
As far as kit or standalone,it depends on how mechanically inclined you are,and how much money you have to spend,if you want bang for the buck and convinience,a Kit from any of the well known tuners will provide you with what your looking for,if you want a more custom feel and got money and time to match,your options are unlimited.
Good luck with whatever method you choose.
charles'
Old 03-27-2005, 04:54 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

300hp and 300whp are different.

Either way, you'd better start off with a solid foundation. It may cost and take a lot of you're time, but that way you can upgrade performance without worrying about things getting in you're way.

I am talking about vacuum lines, intake manifold gaskets, front seals, belts, rollers, tensioners, replace a few sensors, brakes, suspention components..........you'd be suprised how much rubber components the 951 has and how 15+years of heat, dirt, humidity effects them.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:10 PM
Sami951
Drifting

I suggest you get good boost and a/f gauges first. For the engine, no need to go standalone, easiest would be to just get a complete kit like Vitesse stage 1. 300 hp at the flywheel would be just (assuming 15% drivetrain loss) 255 hp at the wheels, so if that's what you're aiming for, a good set of chips and 15psi of boost will do.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please don't take this the wrong way...

I'd spend my time and money getting the latest upgrade to the CPU that controls the fingertips and feet

I.E. Join PCA or SCCA and take advantage of the Driver's improvement programs offered. I'm suggesting that because I'll admit that I (and if the truth be told, probably many of the rest of us as well) have a car that can be taken a long way (performance wise) that we have the skill to safely take it.

Brake pads make a difference, perhaps some suspension mods, and Driver improvement. I know that's not what I would want to hear if I were posting the same questions from college, but that's my answer.

Jim 1987 944S (X )
Old 03-27-2005, 06:07 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You dont need a standalone to get 300HP (RW or crank), but its a great thing indeed! Huge flexibility and fun in tuning. And it will add benefit every time you mod and need to change your timing / feuling etc etc etc. If you just want 300HP and wont want anymore, then a kit like Vitesse would be your best bet, set and forget.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:54 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Id like to have little over 300rwhp. Im really interested in standalone since it seems so much more inovolved. It also seems liek it be a little easier to make the car have quick spool and still have over 300hp with the stock k26/6. Only problem is that I do not have much hands on experience yet with tuning and im afraid i might get myself into more than i can handle with a standalone. I had been leaning towards suspension etc first so this definatly finals my decision on where to start.

Jim, I agree. I want to join a club or start autoxing in the very near future. I was planning on this summer but since ive started working on my car i figured i just do everything i want since ive already started. That way i dont have to tear her apart a bunch of times. Definatly after shes done, or if i decide to put her back together i was planning on doing something to better my abilities with driving. Ive read so much on how to drive at the limit here and how to keep the car under control that ive been itching to go to a track and see if i can do these things.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:26 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I have experience tuning a couple of different Link computers with the stock turbo and an SFR stage 3. If you go that way I will be able to help you a lot setting it up. There are a few guys on here with it. Try Performance Developments for a Link contact in the US.
Old 03-27-2005, 09:43 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

First fix all the leaks and replace all the rubber and plastic bits under the intake. Also, do the venturi delete. Make sure the car is in like new stock condition or any mods you make will work like sh*t. Then go for horsepower first since it is the most fun. You will be compelled to do the suspension second once you can't hold it together with all the power you're putting down!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:03 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

If i do ill let you know andrew.

Whats the venturi? and how i get rid of it?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:06 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Do a search on deleting the Venturi, you will be lucky if there is less than 50 threads on deleting it!
Old 03-27-2005, 10:08 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

hahaha thnx
Old 03-27-2005, 10:23 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Okay found some pics, instructions. Kind of confused still. So the delte replaces all the vaccum hoses? Couple pics looks like i need to remove the manifold? is this true? So is this a definate must to do before modifying?
Old 03-27-2005, 10:25 PM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

See here:

1986: http://members.rennlist.com/jerseyshore944/vac4.jpg

Later: http://members.rennlist.com/jerseysh...51_vac_new.jpg

The venturi is next to the word "intercoooler" in the early diagram. Fewer hose to replace. I wasted $$ on a new OEM hose kit, then later tossed the new hoses for a later OEM setup to cut down on the clutter under the intake.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:25 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Yes you do need to take the intake manifold off. Its a 15min process for me now. Its not abig deal taking it off. Its a good thing to do to have a look around and get the vibe of the engine bay anyways then you can see what people are talking about. You dont need to delete the venturi at all, least of all for modifying. People just do it to clean the hose mess up, I have done it myself for that reason.

Quick Reply: Modifications... where should i start?