Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Weird Heat/ AC Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 12:59 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weird Heat/ AC Problem

Since I purchased my car I have had the problem of the A/C working at idle, but with any throttle application it gets hot. I figured it was the heater control valve, which I replaced this morning. Same problem. I checked a little further, no vacuum at the hcv, no vacuum perceptable at the firewall where the hose to the hcv connects. So am I to assume this is a HVAC control unit problem? Vacuum line busted, or the whole unit has a problem? All the controls work as they should, and the A/C kicks on properly as well. Ideas?
Old 03-23-2005, 02:08 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope it's the two dollar part under your dash, by your right knee. There is a 3 or 4 inch rod, to which is attached a tiny piece of crap plastic white notch that fits into the end of the rod, which holds your heater door closed. It has an additionally small and crappy clip that holds it in place, on the rod end.

So, reach under your dash. By that I mean curl your fingers back toward the driver seat and fish around. You should find a small rod dangling loosely. If you push it up, and about ? 2 inches or so toward the firewall, (in one motion) you should feel the hole that it fits into. Check Clarks-garage.com for the pics. You might also find them on the 9X website. (Ithink thats where i first found this.) Ask on Clarks if you need more help. You should only get...uh 10 zillion responses. PM if you need more help, or it;s not broken...we'll go from there. E
Old 03-23-2005, 06:40 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Thanks E, I'll check in a little bit, babysitting my son right now. So is that clip connected to the lack of vacuum to the hcv? I had seen that clip when I searched the archives, but I thought my problem sounded different.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:48 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I reread. I could be wrong. It's the easiest to check though, and I've found that these cars fool us into solving the hardest probs before we check the easiest probs. The symptoms you have sound like those that would happen if the piece got worn. It stays connected, but will slide up and down the rod. It moves as a result of moving the thermostat right or left. After i fixed mine, this happened. It is now super glued to the rod.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:54 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

Alright E, I found the rod, the upper end seems firmly attached, but the lower end that is behind a black plastic cover is loose, and just seems to be flopping around. Sound like what you are describing? It's about dark here so I'm not going to pull off the cover, but if this sounds right I'll just order the part. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:47 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

BINGO we have a winner.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:21 PM
onewhippedpuppy
Rennlist Member

$2.00, that's my kind of fix! Now, I'm sure the timing belt will break or something, in my 911 a cheap fix was always bad karma. Thanks for the push in the right direction E, from doing a search I had ruled out the broken arm, it didn't seem like the problem I'm having. That is, unless I have multiple problems.

Quick Reply: Weird Heat/ AC Problem