"Areorating" fuel Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 01:49 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb "Areorating" fuel Injectors

Interesting. basically you are to cut or grind off the end cap where the holes are drilled

This is in regards to the same injectors we use; top feed, low imp, peak&hold.

"Questions:

How much will the injectors flow once modified? (re: 550cc)
740-750CC

What about the spray pattern?
You end up with a find disk pattern

What about the idle?
Rock solid idle as stock once AFR's are tuned.

What about reliability?
They are stock Denso injectors and you are just removing the end cap containing the sized holes.

Do I need a fuel pump?
Yes, Pressure at the injector is reduces since the injector body can now flow more fuel. You need a fuel pump capable of handing 740CC injectors. Walbro is fine.

What if I dont have engine management will these work on a stock ECU?
NO, You will nearly double the fuel flow so you will need a Utec, SAFC, Link, Gems, Flashed ECU or other EM to calibrate these injectors.

I am still worried about equal flow. How Can I be sure this works?
You can send the injectors To Venom performance in California or RC engineering for testing once the mod is complete. (Venom will even do the mod for you and test each one but the cost is nearly $300. )

Why are you posting this information and not selling modified injectors?
Because it costs nothing to do this mod and its better to give back to the community. If you do not want to perform this simple mod yourself there are companies out there that will take your $200-$300. Maybe one of the members will try this, report back and offer to mod your injectors for a reasonable price? $50? This way its worth his time to do it and you save a ton of cash in the process by not having to spend $450+ on injectors. Work as a community guys

How many cars have you tuned with these injectors and how long have people been running them?
Kingpin has tuned 7 cars with these modified injectors. All idle smooth, All run fantastic and all have low IDC's One customer has 5000 miles on his set now with out issue.

Hope you guys try this and report back. I would not suggest something that I do not believe it. Some of you can flow test them if you wish and let us know the results. Let the flood gates open!

"The small piston is the spot where the fuel now exits the injector. This piston or disk (disk is the correct term) moves and allows fuel to spray out. The pattern you will now get is a Cone shaped pattern. It works. I have tuned some of these cars myself and I certainly would be posting my negative thoughts if I had any at this time. "
Old 03-21-2005, 02:25 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that came off a subie forum correct? i really don't like the idea of cutting off the orifice plate from the injector. i recommended against a local guy doing it with his heavily modded wrx, but he did it anyway. so far, he has had no ill effects. but the idea of changing the engineered particle size, spray angle, spray pattern, and pressure drop across the injector doesn't appeal to me.

if you can't afford to buy properly sized injectors, you probably can't afford to rebuild your engine when one of the injector pintles fails to open/close properly.

just my opinion...

Last edited by OriginalSterm; 03-21-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Daddio
Instructor

Got any pics or further description of the "Areorating" process, and exactly what it entails? How is it done? What tools involved?

And, last I heard, Bosch has at least a little experience in the fuel injector business, so are they areorating their injectors too?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:38 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback Stern!

I will have to look for the link again, but what I posted was pretty much it.

You cut, or shave with a Dremmel the cap which gets rid of the spray holes and allows one MAIN spray hole which results in much more flow and a "disk" spray pattern

Appearently, the procedure is no secret or fly buy night procedure as RC does it, but they charge about 250$ to do it. That tells me it is a good, safe procedure to do.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:52 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STERM!!!! WITH AN 'M'!!!

If RC engineering does it then is must be ok. I still haven't figured out why Bosch, Delphi, Denso, Siemens, etc... haven't caught on.

Like I said though, I know a guy making about 350 whp with this "trick" and no ill effects so far (other than a hard time fine tuning his setup I believe)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:43 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Oh sorry, Sterm!!

I know when you get to that high a flow of injectors others in here have had idle tune problems.

I would guess with stock inj. wouldn't be as bad, as those, I guess, would get converted to about 550-560cc after this mod.

Quick Reply: "Areorating" fuel Injectors