Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tired of fighting, lets make a 951 Motronic website

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 03:06 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"Remember, you're BEGINNING to enter the area of copyright infringement of the Porsche/Bosch code, i.e. it's NOT in the public domain!"

Im speculating but somehow I doubt any of the performance software companies that sell chips have permission to. And we arent even selling. Lets leave that out of the discussion, I state right off the bat on the website that if anyone has a problem with what I am posting they should email me privately.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:04 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mark944turbo
On top of this I would also like to find the transfer function for the AFM and be able to change that for different maf's, and have bigger load vs rpm tables that are not influenced by a full throttle condition. The way everything is set up now makes tuneing annoying.
If we fully understand the stock code, it would not take much to rewrite the entire algorithm to do MAP sensor. Why mess with MAF when you can make things much simpler with MAP based calculations.

The question is, how much free space there is, and how much optimization of the existing code can be done to free up more space to do cool stuff . With switching to MAP, you can reduce the # of maps in EEPROM, and use some of it for other stuff such as secondary fuel/spark maps for knock conditions, or for codespace! Wonder if the original code was written in c and compiled to 8051 asm, or if it was done in pure asm. And how good those Bosch programmers were...

I'm thinking way too far ahead hehe.

Final note, reverse engineering is legal. It was challenged and won in court back in the old connectrix playstation emulator court case.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:22 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

How is map simpler, just the lack of temp correction? I actually prefer MAF from a tuning standpoint because it measures air directly (after the temp correction) as opposed to trying to figure out things with volumetric effieciency etc to evaluate changes with a MAP system.

I am going to have a friend try to convert it back to C tonight, if that is possible.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:11 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Final note, reverse engineering is legal."

True, that's not a copyright infringement. Use of the u-code is, though!

Last edited by Lorenfb; 04-02-2005 at 03:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2005, 04:52 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Threw some files on the laptop before I catch the plane. I will map out all the I/O pins to there functions over the next couple of weeks.

Hally, I will be in Albury for one dayor two, maybe I can get over your way.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:03 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rage2
If we fully understand the stock code, it would not take much to rewrite the entire algorithm to do MAP sensor. Why mess with MAF when you can make things much simpler with MAP based calculations.
Guys, why rework the stock computer at this level? Everything has already been done for you with the megasquirt. It even fits in your stock DME box, you can splice into the stock harness at that connector. An afternoon of soldering a megasquirt and splicing it into this connector with a known pin out sounds a hell of a lot easier than trying to reverse engineer the bosch unit on this extreme of a level (rev limits and minor adjustments are one thing, switching to MAP algorithims is another).

Then you get infinite adjustability of everything. Want to run staged injectors that come on at higher boost levels? No problem. Closed loop wideband O2 sensing? Done. Infinitely adjustable fuel and timing 12x12 maps that can be datalogged and autocorrected? You got it. Extra inputs/outputs already built in, and code already written for the common goodies? Yeah, you get the idea.

I don't doubt that you guys can figure everything out with the 951 EMS, but beyond rev/boost limits, and small tweaks to the overall fuel/spark curves, I don't see how it can be worth it. If you want to have your car as finely tuned as it sounds like you're working toward, hacking the stock EMS still keeps you limited to the max capabilities of said stock EMS. How do those capabilities match up to this $250-300 complete system...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...06#post2000206

(BTW: Megasquirt II is now officially released and available to buy @$75 for the daughter card.)

At the price, I just can't see why someone that wants to tweak all the settings themselves wouldn't do it. If you're happy with what someone else figures out for code and they're willing to reflash your EEPROM for a good price, thats fine. But if you want to continually change settings with additional mods, it doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not a megasquirt employee or anything, I'm just a user and "addict". Once I get a 951, I doubt it will be long before its running on a Megasquirt'nEDIS.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:23 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

I already have SDS on my car and have no need for such a project. So why do I do it? I do it for fun. I enjoy reverse engineering and improving code. And by doing so, IF the project gets done, it'd be a free fully adjustable EFI for the 951 community simply by popping in a chip.

The challenge and completing it gives me a rush. I'm a geek .

Now, why switch to MAP, and how is it simpler? No need for part and full throttle map. I dunno, ever since understanding the honda MAP code (MAP is stock on all Hondas), it amazes me how simplistic, small memory footprint, and stable/reliable MAP can be, if coded properly. A 3D fuel and 3D spark map (2 of each for VTEC) covers everything, with a few fixed 2D cold, throttle tip in, and initial start adjustments. I've looked at the Nissan ECU MAF code and it's way more complex, way more maps. I can't comment on the Motronic code since I don't know it yet, but I figure there would be quite the savings in memory if converted to MAP.

The only question is, will the 8051 be able to handle it... hondas use OKI 16-bit processors.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:24 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rage2
I already have SDS on my car and have no need for such a project. So why do I do it? I do it for fun. I enjoy reverse engineering and improving code. And by doing so, IF the project gets done, it'd be a free fully adjustable EFI for the 951 community simply by popping in a chip.

The challenge and completing it gives me a rush. I'm a geek .
Good reason. I can buy that one

(I'm a geek too)
Old 04-01-2005, 02:14 PM
J Chen
Drifting

DanG,
Are you using one in a 951 ?
BTW, I doubt that Vitesse's drop in ECU
is gonna cost only 800 bucks.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:25 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

J Chen,

Not yet. I don't even have a 951 yet. The planets should align around June/July, and I'll be selling the 944 to buy a 951.

When I'm sick of stock (or whatever modded condition the car I buy is in), I'll likely do a Megasquirt installation as my first powertrain mod, since it will adapt to any turbo/boost/fuel/water injection/IC/exhaust changes I throw at it.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:35 PM
J Chen
Drifting

I'm thinking about it too but am wondering how
to wire up the system. Like guys running with
Link standalone, I haven't figure out how they
can do away with the DME & KLR & yet get the
instrument & warning lights still working as stock.
Can you shed some light on this ?
Old 04-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

MegaSquirt -

The stumbling block is the crank position sensor(s). The stock 951 speed & reference sensors are NOT compatible with MegaSquirt. Even if you convert to a 60-1 wheel (which I can't afford at the moment), the MegaSquirt'n'Spark code to drive a 60-1 is still in alpha/beta testing.

Heh, well, that and inventing fuel/spark tables from scratch.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:01 PM
mark944turbo
Three Wheelin'

The megasquirt uses 12x12 maps....... I want 20x20 maps. I want to retain the stock guages, and I enjoy the challenge. Tossing in a mega squirt is for wusses.

I dont think there would be a need for a part/full throttle map in a properly calibrated/transfer functioned MAF. Just cut the WOT impulse from the KLR and run off pure PT maps that have been extended to 100% load.

I am thrilled that this project is moving along, lets keep working!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:18 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Mark, have you considered downloading and running a basic forum software package? We could easily start a small user group just for 951 DME/KLR editing. Heck, I'd volunteer space on my server if need be.

Trying to keep things organized on Rennlist will be a nightmare.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:26 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Dark,
Please excuse my ignorance. If that is the case how
does megasquirt users adapt it to their cars ? I've seen
Alfas, 928s, etc in their website.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Tired of fighting, lets make a 951 Motronic website