Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 N/A -> 951 Conversion Q's

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 944 N/A -> 951 Conversion Q's

I picked up a good condition, nearly-complete 951 drivetrain a month ago or so, and am looking for some opinions on how to complete this project.

First off, My Goals: ~300hp(crank) at initial installation, with plans to move it to 300-350rwhp in a few years (after suspension mods).

What I have: ('86) 951 long block, K26/6 turbo, intercooler, radiator, exhaust, fuel system, transmission, and numerous 951-specific accessories

What I need: KLR/DME/Wiring Harness (source one was shot from accident), Airbox (source one cracked on removal)

My plans thus far: Complete rebuild this summer (rod&main bearings, rings, gaskets) and then install coming winter.

My questions:

1) Engine Management: I have no DME/KLR or wiring harness. I plan on going to "Quick Carl" for a new wiring harness, but this still leaves me without a DME/KLR. Due to my long-term plans, I think a standalone system would be a good idea, but what would I expect to pay for one. I don't want a $3k system like the TEC3, but want something more adjustable than a factory DME/KLR (which isn't exactly cheap either). The new lindsey system appears promising, but I'm having trouble finding any info on it.

2) Air intake: I'm interested in the LR Stage IV system that requires the new expansion tank, since I'd be replacing the tank anyways (mine looks like crap). Anyone have any other suggestions? Once again a standalone system makes more since as to avoid having to buy some type of MAF adapter for a factory DME.

3) What else should I do "While I'm In There". Since I'll be tearing the whole engine apart....what are some key items to hit while I'm in there (other than the obvious belts/hoses/gaskets/etc.). I'm mostly talking about 'upgrades'. An oil pan baffle for instance is making a lot of sense. I'm also considering doing a turbo/exhaust upgrade at this point in time as well.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:46 PM
Helstrm
Pro

The new system from lindsey. (WOLF) will also be about 3k due to it being plug and play. I had the same problems you are facing. To stay on the cheaper side it looks like Megasquirt is your only stand alone option. Many great systems but one you buy all the pieces it will cost. I said the heck with it and found a DME and KLR. Next I will add a mafterburner and MAF from Lindsey which you can get both for under 1k.... It's a big job... I am right in the middle of it.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:49 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Oh and I could be wrong but from what I have been reading don't go bigger on the pipes. You lose low end and god know our cars don't play well low end to start with. Bottom line is.. Speed costs, How fast do you want to go? Other things to do depend on your budget.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Hmm...did some more looking & have a question:

Would this program: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ing+experience

and that monitor from Vitesse essentially combine to give me most of the functionality of a standalone system?

I won't need infinate adjustability as I'm driving, but I would like to have a means of doing my own tuning without having to order new chips after every upgrade along the way.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Helstrm
Oh and I could be wrong but from what I have been reading don't go bigger on the pipes. You lose low end and god know our cars don't play well low end to start with. Bottom line is.. Speed costs, How fast do you want to go? Other things to do depend on your budget.
Hmm...that's the type of stuff I wanted to know. I know that in non-turbo applications you need to find the 'right' size exhaust to prevent just what you mention there, but I thought in turbo applications the turbo provides more than enough back pressure as is, so you really want as large an exhaust as you can get.

As for 'speed costs', I'm aware of that, and I'm willing to pay to get there, but at the same time, I don't want to just throw money blindly at a project. If I spend $3k on a standalone system, I want to know that there's no $2k solution that will do the job just as well.
Old 03-20-2005, 01:23 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Sell the N/A and 951 Drivetrain. Buy a good condition 951. I guess I don't understand the reasons behind why one would go through all the headache and expense to try and do what you want to do when a 951 can be bought for $10K and it's a proven package that gives you everything you need.
Old 03-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

soloracer, some guys like me just love to wrench, and have an attachment to the car. i am also doing this 951 conversion. can i pick up a 951 instead? of course. but would i have as much fun? no. he didn't ask if he should sell his parts. he asked questions on the conversion. i get sick and tired of people saying "sell the n/a and buy a turbo." if he wants to do the conversion let him do it. it's his business and his time/hobby.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Amen Jake. My car is now dubbed Porschenstein. Started it's life as a 924s. Got a new body and is getting a sweet powerplant. But I am so tired of sanding...
Old 03-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jake 944CS
soloracer, some guys like me just love to wrench, and have an attachment to the car. i am also doing this 951 conversion. can i pick up a 951 instead? of course. but would i have as much fun? no. he didn't ask if he should sell his parts. he asked questions on the conversion. i get sick and tired of people saying "sell the n/a and buy a turbo." if he wants to do the conversion let him do it. it's his business and his time/hobby.
Right, plus I've already got a well-sorted 944n/a. If I buy a 951 I'll have to go through all the work of fixing things like sunroof gears all over again. My car is pretty much all new at this point with the exception of the frame, drivetrain and a few windows.

It just seems eaiser (and cheeper once you figure in all the little things like a repaint, etc.) to put a 951 engine in my car than to restore a factory 951. Not to mention all the fun I can have with rebuiling the motor and powdercoating everything.

Plus, I figure my car is worth $5-6k at best, and even if you add in the price of the 951 drivetrain and even another $4k worth of mods....I'll still be under the price of a 'decent' mostly-stock 951($10-11k), well under the price of a 'pristene' (300+hp) 951 ($12 - 13k).

So.....back to my question. What do you guys reccomend as a engine management system? The more & more I look at it, if I can find a decent priced factory DME/KLR, the Vitesse stage II kit looks like the best option (and more streetable than a stage III).
Old 03-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Scootin, wire harness - DME/KLR - 944 ecology or Oklahoma Foreign are probably your best bets. You can find air boxes on ebay and AFM, if you decide to go with AFM-air box rather than MAF, give me a shout and I'll give you an AFM. MAF and piggyback, can't beat Vitesse or Lindsey for products and support.

I have lots of spares but in the next couple of years I would like to build a 924 Carrera GT replica with 951 power. I have all the spares to do it just if I can find the time and funds away from my other time consuming items so I understand your needs.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ski
Scootin, wire harness - DME/KLR - 944 ecology or Oklahoma Foreign are probably your best bets. You can find air boxes on ebay and AFM, if you decide to go with AFM-air box rather than MAF, give me a shout and I'll give you an AFM. MAF and piggyback, can't beat Vitesse or Lindsey for products and support.

I have lots of spares but in the next couple of years I would like to build a 924 Carrera GT replica with 951 power. I have all the spares to do it just if I can find the time and funds away from my other time consuming items so I understand your needs.
I have a perfectly fine AFM, but if you're offering me an airbox I'll gladly take it. Just let me know so I can reimburse you for shipping.

I think I'm going to go with a new wiring harness from the 928 guy (I'm a fan of new wires, old wiring makes too many headaches), but I'll be sure to contact those guys to price out a DME/KLR unit.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quick Carl can build a new harness for a 951?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ski
Quick Carl can build a new harness for a 951?
That's what he told me. From what I understand he can build one for pretty much any he can get a 'sample' one of. Must be somebody gave him a sample 951 harness that he's copying.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:44 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You could go for a Performance Developements harness and Link standalone EMS. Its then plug and play with their harness and uses stock sensors...
Old 03-20-2005, 10:57 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by NZ951
You could go for a Performance Developements harness and Link standalone EMS. Its then plug and play with their harness and uses stock sensors...
Hmm...just found their website. Looks nice, just any idea on it's price?

Edit....Just found out some more on info on the Link2 and it sounds like a worse option for me than the Tec3 (which would be nice, but too pricy for my wallet).

Last edited by Scootin159; 03-20-2005 at 11:21 PM.

Quick Reply: 944 N/A -> 951 Conversion Q's