Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stand alone EMS

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 07:14 AM
MildMax951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fast951:

does your post mean that the "Motronic Editor" as opposed to the "Motronic Monitor" is now available?
Old 03-18-2005, 09:01 AM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my issue is that I am converting an 87 924s to a turbo.. I know... buy a 951 but anyway. Instead of buying a 951 dme and klr I am thinking about going to a stand alone system. Of course I would rather not spend 3k on it since that money is better invested under the hood. I am in no hurry to get the system as I am still collecting engine parts and doing body work at this point and my wife put me on a monthly project spending budget.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm installing the 20b into the car below. It's a 1973 Porsche 914 with a Sheridan Widebody Kit. Can you say 400+ HP and under 2000 lbs?
WOW! That should move nicely. I take it you are going to use a standalone (Haltech E6K??) and a single turbo. If you could get 20Bs in the US for a reasonable price I would already have one. However, they dont exist in a reasonable price here. I have seen a few in the 3-4K dollar range but from they way they looked I am sure they needed rebuild. I already have a host of rebuildable Rotary engines, the last I need is more of them.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:57 AM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MildMax951
Fast951:

does your post mean that the "Motronic Editor" as opposed to the "Motronic Monitor" is now available?
Oops my bad in my earlier post. I think I must have read one of Fast951's posts about the Editor and confused it with the monitor.

Helstrm: If you're building the car yourself and want to tune it yourself, you'll have a hard time getting to be more knowledgeable with the EMS than if you build up a Megasquirt based system. It is just so hands on (but there is plenty of instructions and expert advise available) that you can't help but become fully aware of all of the functions. A $3k EMS may be great, but the megasquirt can match its level of performance for 1/10 the price. Its hard to argue.

When new features, like the Megasquirt-II daughter card I mentioned above, come out, you can add them to your already tuned system for a measly $75! Development for the MS is ongoing and continually updating to the latest technology.

I'm not a salesman or anything, I'm just convinced the MS is the best choice for me, and probably for others. And yes, I have built/installed/tuned/driven cars with a few different EMSs running them. Haltech, Megasquirt, now working with a Motec.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Helstrm
Pro

Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:50 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I have not used the Megasquirt, however I hear good things about it. Might be a good idea to look into it. I think they even have timing now... A good system for hands on approach!
The Motronic Editor is different than Motronic Monitor. Editor allows you to modify the values etc.. Monitor, well it monitors... You can use both at the same time..

Quick Reply: Stand alone EMS