Dual Oil Cooler Setup Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dual Oil Cooler Setup Suggestions

I have been trying to decide whether to install the second oil cooler I have. The car will be mostly for street use but I plan on going to all the DEs and autox that I can. Now is having the second oil cooler all the helpful? I would need to get new lines, probably custom lines or could I somehow use 4 stock lines? This would increase the amount of oil the engine will hold. Meaning more money to change the oil and more weight. So would this be a wise thing to do yes or no. Anyone out there with dual oil coolers pics please and where did you get your oil lines? Thanks
Old 03-16-2005, 01:43 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I highly recommend this kit. I had it installed on my car. Look at the web site too, for it gives all the "quantifiable data" you could want. One of the better on the market, if not the best for our cars. Read up on it. Hope this helps.

http://www.944oilcooling.com
Old 03-16-2005, 01:56 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link. Yes I do agree, I like that kit. I am not out to spend more money here, though. I was thinking of doing this because I have an extra oil cooler and lines that I could use.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:17 AM
HansB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to track the car additional oil cooling is a pretty good idea.

On a mildly tuned car we have seen track temperatures up to 260, coming down to 190's with a larger forced cooler.

We had plans to do two (left and right, see the pic in the sig) but one Mocal unit replacing the stock cooler was enough.
Old 03-16-2005, 03:25 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Hans: So you replaced the stock oil cooler with a Mocal unit? i am considering to do the same since the stock cooler has a very thick core and was aiming for a "thinner" unit but keeping the same fluid capacity and lines (if it can be done).

Which mocal oil cooler did you get to replace the stock on and did you change the lines?
Old 03-16-2005, 03:38 AM
HansB
Pro

Here is a picture of the actual setup

it is embedded in a GFK duct (which you can only do on a track car, with a special bumper shell

We replaced the power steering cooling with a copper pipe in front of the radiator
Old 03-16-2005, 03:41 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

What about the brake cooling?
Old 03-16-2005, 04:18 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
I put two oil coolers on and went to 968 brake cooling ducts to better facilitate the addition of the second (Mocal) oil cooler. Its a much better configuration all round I think - ie better brake cooling and better oil cooling. I would say the better oil cooling and engine longevity far outweigh the extra weight issue.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:35 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

Originally Posted by 9fitty1
What about doing this brake cooling setup when going for the bigger oil cooler:
http://www.frozenrotors.com/coolbrake.shtml

If my memory is correct, this brake cooling setup has been talked about before.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:45 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can also put in a second factory cooler, in the same position on the other side of the radiator support bracket, just like the factory setup on the stock car. If you just invert the cooler, there are holes already in the bracket and it is a direct bolt in - you have to get the bolts and 1 nut, 1 is already there. You will need lines...

the above from the track car.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 AM
special tool
Banned

That's a neat trick, Ski.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Asarus
Pro

Originally Posted by OZ951
I put two oil coolers on and went to 968 brake cooling ducts to better facilitate the addition of the second (Mocal) oil cooler. Its a much better configuration all round I think - ie better brake cooling and better oil cooling. I would say the better oil cooling and engine longevity far outweigh the extra weight issue.
How did you attach the 968 cooling ducts on 944 arms ? Do you have pictures ?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:08 AM
DAR951
Pro

Originally Posted by Ski
You can also put in a second factory cooler, in the same position on the other side of the radiator support bracket, just like the factory setup on the stock car. If you just invert the cooler, there are holes already in the bracket and it is a direct bolt in - you have to get the bolts and 1 nut, 1 is already there. You will need lines...
Nice setup Bret... How did you plumb it back into the factory system? Is it in serries with the factory side?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Helstrm
Pro

Since I am converting my 924s to a turbo I had to buy an after market cooler. I am adding a FLUIDYNE INLINE HEAT EXCHANGER to go between the engine and the oil cooler. No pics as the car is in boxes and I am still ordering parts as my budget permits (or the wife permits)
Old 03-16-2005, 11:31 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Extremely neat, Ski - nice work!

I was seeing 250F oil temps on track - too high! The Kiss kit solves the problem with a simple and clean installation.

On brake cooling, the best solution is to go for ducted cooling that forces all the air into the rotors. A scoop setup will never be as effective as a ducted setup. So, the choice comes down to your application. For street work, the scoops are probably a great idea, but for hard track running a ducted system is almost a must have.

Quick Reply: Dual Oil Cooler Setup Suggestions