Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil cooler location?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005 | 01:14 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Default oil cooler location?

Hello again. I have a fairly serious oil leak on my new baby I am being led to believe that it could be from the oil cooler (a seal possibly). Can someone tell me where the oil cooler is located? Also, if there are any common places for oil leaks on these vehicles, please pass them along. The car runs great, just leaking a good amount of oil. Thanks fo rthe help!
Old 03-16-2005 | 01:21 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

The oil cooler is off in the lower passenger side next to the bottom of the radiator. As far as places the leak, it may take less space to list the places that are not known to leak oil, such as the rear hatch, and the steering wheel. j/k Plenty of stuff leaks, such as: the oil pan, the rear cam gasket, the rear seal, balance shaft covers, the oil sender, the oil cooler line connections, oil filter housing, cam tower gasket.... and ??? Where is it leaking?
Old 03-16-2005 | 01:59 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Tom. Being a 944 (& Porsche) newbie, I am (was) having trouble finding the oil cooler location. Looks like I have a fair amount of ground to cover to find the actual leak ... It was suggested that I look at the oil cooler first (not sure why). I was wondering (hoping) that there was a common place that leaks oil on these bad boys that would save me some time/trouble. The previous owner mentioned changing out the oil pressure sender(?) and said that wasn't where the leak was. Then again, he also said it was only leaking 'about a quarter size drop of oil when you park it overnight' .....
Old 03-16-2005 | 02:03 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

oil cooler
Old 03-16-2005 | 02:05 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

As you can see that picture is horrible and I have some leaks of my own, lol.
Old 03-16-2005 | 02:06 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

The tried and true method is to clean it all up as best you can in the area of the leak, then after running it for a bit, see if you can find the origin of the leak. When it is covered in sludge and grease, it can be nearly impossible to find the actual source. Where are the drips landing -- front, rear, passenger, driver?
Old 03-16-2005 | 03:06 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

9fitty1 - thanks for the pic and the chuckle

Tom, thanks for the info. I bought some engine degreaser and some car ramps to take the underbody(?) plates off and clean things up this weekend, but couldn't get the car up on the ramps. They are the black plastic rhino ramps you can find at Kragen (or Wal Mart for $10 less). They kept slipping out from under the front wheels. I didn't have a lot of time this weekend and that was all the time I had after swapping some power window switches to verify they were indeed bad and washing/polishing/waxing (I should have re-examined those priorities, I know). Unfortunately, it looks like I probably won't get a chance to get back at it this weekend now, so definitley the weekend after that.

Any suggestions for good ramps would be appreciated. Also, how would I go about getting the front of the car up on jack stands using a floor jack? I haven't seen enough safe jack points to do this - or maybe I'm just an idiot?
Old 03-16-2005 | 03:07 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Sorry, Tom, forgot to add that the oil is leaking through the underbody plates so it's really hard to tell where it's coming from.
Old 03-16-2005 | 08:50 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

"Sorry, Tom, forgot to add that the oil is leaking through the underbody plates so it's really hard to tell where it's coming from."

It will be impossible to find the leak with the belly pan, and batwing in place. That drip could be from anywhere. Yank those off, and watch where it comes out. As was said before, it could be from anywhere, but this might, atleast, give you a place to start.
Old 03-16-2005 | 10:32 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Here's what you will see when you remove the batwing. Yours will look neater - this is a track car - and won't have the large brake ducts.

The second line to the cooler is diagonally opposite the first line you can see in the pic. These two oil lines are unlikely to leak unless they have been disturbed or disconected and replaced recently. If they have been R&R'd, its likely that they need some tightening. First thing to do is to get under there and find the true source of the leak then post pics so we can help you will next steps.
Attached Images  
Old 03-16-2005 | 05:26 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Awesome pic, APK. Thanks! I can hardly wait to get to this now... (Hmm, no red 'Rennlist Member' yet, but I have joined!)
Old 03-17-2005 | 04:06 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

APKhaos, where did you get that brake duct piece that connects to the duct itself?
Old 03-17-2005 | 07:29 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

you need to get you four good jackstands; ramps can be a PITA when it comes to these cars.
Old 03-17-2005 | 08:46 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

I am suprised no one mentioned the seals on those hoses.
Old 03-17-2005 | 11:56 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ski
you need to get you four good jackstands; ramps can be a PITA when it comes to these cars.
For work on the front, I jack up one side using the spot under the diamond, then slide a ramp under the rear tire and a stand under the front rail. Driving on the ramps is a pain for sure...

Quick Reply: oil cooler location?