Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Major Oil pressure delima problem on my hands please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 05:13 AM
Nocturnal_Breed
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Oil pressure delima problem on my hands please help!

Ok, I guess some background info would be good. The car has 147,000 so miles on it about 5000 miles ago i replace pretty much every seal ect on the motor minus rings, rod bearings, main bearings, rear seal, oil pan gasket. I've run mobil 1 15w50 in it since i got it. The car has had a slow leak since i bought it either the rear main or the oil pan gasket. So i need to regularly put oil in it as it marks its territory when it sits for a few days. I bought the new mobil 1 15,000 mile stuff cause i could only find 15w50 in that formulation but i am assuming its the only full synthetic mobil 1 there is now. My car was down a quart and a half or so ( i know i forgot to check for a few days, im mad at myself so please dont flame) so i drive to work 3 bar oil pressure at idle since day 1 and i put the 1.5 quarts of oil into my car its kinda a cold night so i expect a little oil pressure drop for the weight im using. I start it up and its regestering 2 to 2.5 bar oil pressure.

So this is where it gets wierd its been like this for a few days now no problem lots of pressure while cruising although it didnt hit 5 bar like it used to just 4.5 or so. I park it last night and come out this moring to start it and it usually takes 1 sec or so to register oil pressure and nothing. volts work, fuel guage, tach, ect.

The warning light is on and the red is showong for oil pressure, ok i can handle that but the brake fluid and brake pad lights are on and dont shut off. Is this a fluke cause of the temperature? or as ive seen on here before someone said the oil pressure relief valve went. I have the old 3 piece one but i installed new o rings 5000 miles ago and no problems till now. I do have to add the power steering pump has been leaking like no ones business and i just recieved the reseal kit for it. Did the fluid get on the sending unit and triggering a malfunction?

I am hoping someone can help we out. I am just wierded out by the brake fluid/ pads lights staying on? or are they on cause of the warning light being on ? I dont really want to have to spend 300 bux on a new pressure relief valve if thats not whats gonna fix it.

Any ideas info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time in advance
Old 03-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Nocturnal_Breed
Instructor

bump

please help guys

thanks
Old 03-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I can't quite sort out what symptoms you are having. Do you have low oil pressure? Or, do you have low brake fluid or pad wear? Or both?
Old 03-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Dal Heger
Addict
Rennlist Member

Check your grounds!!!! Sounds like a problem with your electrical system. I'll be that your ground on the engine (bell housing) or under the dash is corroded or not making full contact.

Dal.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:21 AM
Nocturnal_Breed
Instructor

The oil pressure was low now the guage is showing none, but like i said the wierd thing is that the brake fluid and pad warning lights are lit too and wont shut off. sounded electrical to me just wierd that all three would show up at one time. Can i check the sender with a voltmeter and see if im getting oil pressure? i just dont want to run it and finds there is no oil pressure and hurt the motor.

Where under the dash is the grounds you are refering to the bell housing one shouldnt be hard to find but the others im not sure of.

Thanks so far anyone else have any info that may help??????????
Old 03-12-2005, 08:10 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

down behind the reference and speed sensor(two rectangular plugs - back of manifold) look down with a flashlight and you will see several ground wires attached to the bell housing with a single bolt. Word of advice, cover the small opening in the bell housing with rag or paper towel or something before you attempt to take this bolt out, you do not want to drop it into the bell housing. Clean the grounds, reinstall, check the gauges. If nothing, disconnect the wires and check the wires to sending unit, on some cars they are very tight and it may have worn through.

It's possible that the sender is toast, OPRV may be faulty(oil pressure relief valve) but other things to check first, since other lights came on too.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:11 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

I'm assuming you started the engine and it is registering no oil pressure and the "!" light is on (?) You don't want to run it for long, but did you notice your valvetrain (lifters) making more noise than normal ? If so, you likely have a real oil pressure problem, not just an electrical issue with the grounds.

And of course, check the crank bolt for tightness too. Not sure you did anything that would have made this loosen all of a sudden.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:31 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I would check your oil pressure relieve valve first. I had almost identical oil pressure weirdness and finally solved it with a 1-piece OPRV conversion swapped for the 3-piece unit that came on that 86. It's easy to get to by removing the FR wheel and a long extension(thanks Brad). Mine was worn and scored when I pulled it at about the same mileage as yours. A worn OPRV will cause all sorts of OP glitches as it hangs up and binds. It's worth a look.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:32 PM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

Steve, we sure have had some experience with OP issues, haven't we ? Glad to hear you got yours all cleared up. Mine's been fine too (knock on wood) :-)
Old 03-12-2005, 03:05 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dilemma

If noisy, you definitely have an oil pressure problem.

Quick Reply: Major Oil pressure delima problem on my hands please help!