Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey bov

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx andrew. I quess I`ll do some research and testing!
Old 03-05-2005, 06:41 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would it make a deference... its all pressurized air any ways it don't matter if its going left, right, up , or down...
Old 03-05-2005, 08:00 PM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Lart 951, still interested? my address is dmcgrath03@snet.net
Old 03-05-2005, 08:11 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by evil 944t
Lart 951, still interested? my address is dmcgrath03@snet.net
email sent
Old 03-05-2005, 09:04 PM
RobNL
Instructor

Originally Posted by TurboX
why would it make a deference... its all pressurized air any ways it don't matter if its going left, right, up , or down...
The main difference is safety in case you have a leak in the small vacuum lines.

When you install it the "right" way it opens when boost pressure is applied to the valve and the pressure on the vacuum line plus the springrate is not enough to keep the valve closed. In that case you need those the washers to increase the springrate.

When you have it mounted as lart951 says, the "wrong" way, the only way it opens is when a vacuum signal is applied to the vacuum line. In this case there is no need to add those washers.

If you want to use this valve also to make the engine breath more easier when the turbo needs to spool up, the best option is to install it the "wrong" way.

On the engine of DFASTEST951 they've installed it as lart951 would say the "wrong" way, but it appears that Powerhaus like it this way and finds it capable enough for that engine.

Old 03-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Ahhhhhh i see, i didn't look close enough at the pictures. so if i was running the stock j-boot and stock hard pipes i would run it the "wrong way" and have the vacuum lines connected and Basically run the by-pass valve or would i run it the "right way" ... i'm not sure
Old 03-05-2005, 09:31 PM
RobNL
Instructor

If you're using the stock pipes and mount the BOV with the vacuum line pointing the same way as the original, it would be the "wrong" way.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

If i ran it as a blow off valve could i run it the right way?

And obviously covered the j-boot connection
Old 03-05-2005, 09:37 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

seems that installing it the wrong way forms a better seal too........of course you'll need to tap a vacuum line straight from the intake manifold....but..if you bought one of those mad scientist..aka..Laudst.. vacuum manifold then you don't have to tap the manifold...I will be using 2 ports for my lindsey bov scince I seem to get stuck on the wrong wayalso when installed the wrong way keep in mind that the boost pressure is pushing the piston against one side causing friction so it's harder forteh vacuum toactuate it...unlike the stock wich you can literally suck open...2 port connected to a Y then one line will do fine....
Old 03-05-2005, 10:10 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

On my pictures the one that is named wrong is from my car the one that is named right is from Lindsey racing website.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:56 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow this thread generated a few responses. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to install the valve today, hopefully tomorrow. I was five minutes from being done at 2pm today and then dropped a washer behind the timing belt. It fell way down behind the pulleys and cost me an additional 2.5 hours. I'm really tired, but taking the car for a nice wheelspin-ful drive was the best therapy. It's great to be running again! I'll tackle the valve asap.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:01 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Tip: get one of those extendable magnet thingys. Its saved me weeks of bolts and washer searching!
Old 03-05-2005, 11:02 PM
RobNL
Instructor

Originally Posted by TurboX
If i ran it as a blow off valve could i run it the right way?

And obviously covered the j-boot connection
Why not rotate it? If you're going to run it like a blow off valve, you get other issues/problems, such as running rich during shifts. There are enough posts on this.

Originally Posted by Darius Juca
wayalso when installed the wrong way keep in mind that the boost pressure is pushing the piston against one side causing friction so it's harder forteh vacuum toactuate it
When I look at my bypass valve, the chamber is bigger than the valve, so the air goes around the valve without pushing it to one side. But this is probably the modification LR made to it to increase flow.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:07 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Tip: get one of those extendable magnet thingys. Its saved me weeks of bolts and washer searching!
That's what finally did the trick. Unfortunately the little bugger had fallen down to the bottom and hidden itself. I had to pull the lower covers, release the alternator belt, and then unbolt the lower cover before I finally got the !#@!#@@! thing out.

But she's running great now - wheelspin all the way to 3rd is really cool. Did I mention my wife was working with me the whole time? Couldn't have made it without her.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:53 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

When I look at my bypass valve, the chamber is bigger than the valve, so the air goes around the valve without pushing it to one side. But this is probably the modification LR made to it to increase flow.

do you think it leaks boost? if you blow hard on either end the lindsey unit definitelly loses air..the stock doesnotdue to the rubber and plastic wich are better sealers than steel..but stock valves do break.

Quick Reply: Lindsey bov