Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Lindsey bov

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2005, 01:57 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Daius, it leaks. Seriously. No joke. I increases spool rpm.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:02 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Daius, it leaks. Seriously. No joke. I increases spool rpm.
You mean the Xracing bov does leak?
Old 03-06-2005, 02:08 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Basically it does not flow enough air. The reason it doesn't flow enough air is because it does not open well because it does not hold vacuum. If vacuum can not be held, the piston can not lift to expell the air.

I was getting a truck load of compressor surge when I moved to my SFR turbo. I got a Tial 50mm and sold my LR unit.

Its likely fine for daily drivers tat want a little bling and dont mind a little reduce spool time.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats me woo!
Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by TurboX
Thats me woo!
Old 03-06-2005, 02:31 PM
TurboTim
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried getting a straight answer on the orientation issue months ago from LR. They have pics of it being installed in various ways! So I gave up, it didnt seem to matter performance wise which way it went.

Actually it can affect performance! If the charge air enters the bottom, against the valve face, then it could force the valve open under boost.If the charge air enters the side of the valve then it cannot open the valve under boost.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:19 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by TurboTim
Actually it can affect performance! If the charge air enters the bottom, against the valve face, then it could force the valve open under boost.If the charge air enters the side of the valve then it cannot open the valve under boost.
My evidence is a well respected car tuner on this board sent me data logged backed evidence of it reducing spool "performance" time by over 100rpm. Thats all I can say about it!

EDIT: Meaning spool got worse

Last edited by NZ951; 03-07-2005 at 04:02 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Isn't that what the Shims are for that are included in the kit?? Creates more spring tension so the valve needs more pressure to open?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:37 PM
RobNL
Instructor

My evidence is a well respected car tuner on this board sent me data logged backed evidence of it reducing spool time by over 100rpm. Thats all I can say about it!
That's good news. We all want a bypass valve that is able to reduce spool time. But how can you measure time in rpms or are you talking about changing the boost threshold?

Tim, if the air is charged against the bottom of the valve, shouldn't the vacuum/boost line create the same pressure on the opposite side of the valve?

What if you can use the bypass valve to make the engine breathe more easier when there's still vacuum (creating a shortcut). At the moment I'm thinking about to install the bypass valve the "wrong" way (air is entering on the side) and even decrease the springrate to keep the valve open as long vacuum is applied to the vacuum line and close it as soon as boost is applied. If the engine does indeed breathe easier while the turbo is spooling up, it also should be able to rev faster and the boost threshold should be reached faster (in time). Does this make any sense or is the Whisky getting to me?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:44 PM
special tool
Banned

Rob - any datalogger that is logging map and RPM is capable of logging the difference - trust me

The lindsey BOV gains 50 +/- rpm in spoolup being installed bckwards. The force on the bottom from being installed correctly, does cause fluctuations which will retard onset. The trade off is that being installed "correctly", you will get faster action.

Fact, not fiction.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:57 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by RobNL
That's good news. We all want a bypass valve that is able to reduce spool time. But how can you measure time in rpms or are you talking about changing the boost threshold?

Tim, if the air is charged against the bottom of the valve, shouldn't the vacuum/boost line create the same pressure on the opposite side of the valve?

What if you can use the bypass valve to make the engine breathe more easier when there's still vacuum (creating a shortcut). At the moment I'm thinking about to install the bypass valve the "wrong" way (air is entering on the side) and even decrease the springrate to keep the valve open as long vacuum is applied to the vacuum line and close it as soon as boost is applied. If the engine does indeed breathe easier while the turbo is spooling up, it also should be able to rev faster and the boost threshold should be reached faster (in time). Does this make any sense or is the Whisky getting to me?
Reduction in performance, not rpm, rpm goes up at which boost is realised
Old 03-07-2005, 03:32 AM
RobNL
Instructor

Reduction in performance, not rpm, rpm goes up at which boost is realised
In the post before, you said it is "reducing spool time". To my knowledge reducing spool time means it takes less time to spool up, but now you say the boost treshold is at a higher rpm?

So do you mean that the engine reached that higher rpm in less time? What's wrong with that.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:01 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Rob I will make this as clear as possible...

Spool time performance was reduced. If you previously had full boost at 3,000 rpm. Install a Lindsey Racing BOV and you get full boost at 3,120rpm. Get it now or do I need to use finger puppets?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:20 AM
RobNL
Instructor

Ok, sorry I didn't see that you changed the text afterwards. So what is your boost threshold with your new Tial BOV?
Old 03-07-2005, 09:42 PM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rob I will make this as clear as possible...

Spool time performance was reduced. If you previously had full boost at 3,000 rpm. Install a Lindsey Racing BOV and you get full boost at 3,120rpm. Get it now or do I need to use finger puppets?
Can't you make nice please, it is comments like this that negate your flashes of brilliance.

Quick Reply: Lindsey bov