Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP - Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 03:59 PM
monabaker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No aftermarket alarm installed, just the stock one with the 2nd keyhole. Yes, aftermarket radio, but the deck is completly off when the car is off.
Old 03-05-2005, 04:05 PM
gilwong
Instructor

My aftermarket pioneer cassette deck was running continuously and was causing a tiny draw which would ruin a battery every 12 months. When my radiator fan relay went, it caused a battery drain overnight and ended up triggering my car alarm at 2AM.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Just hook up an amprage meter to the battery and start pulling fuses until the amprage drops.
Old 03-05-2005, 07:44 PM
stonecreek
Advanced

FYI this isn't a problem that can be fixed by posting, you need to get a meter and start pulling fuses.

Or you can remove the KLR,DME,RADIO,HVAC UNIT, GAUGES,LIGHTS,WIRING HARNESS, ALARM,RELAYS ETC, all one at a time and wait 2-3 days then put the part back in and see if the car starts, but that may take a few months.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:11 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have noted you need to hook up an amp meter to start the search. You probably have something like a 64 amp hour battery so you need a fair draw to knock than to its knees in a couple days. We are talking full amps not the 50 to 75 milliamps it takes to keep memories alive.

Once you have gone through the fuse pulling route and the usual suspects it is possible you have a low grade short. There are no fuses in the run from battery to starter, starter to alternator and the runs from battery to fuse/relay board. A soft short in any of these runs will drain you without starting the car on fire. And the short can run through just simple grime. I've seen dirty battery tops do it, especially in a salt water enviroment.

Quick Reply: HELP - Dead Battery