To buy or not to buy a RED 951

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 07:24 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha!

My car made it into Rich's assemblage. Bottom left.

Incidentally, that pic was taken by a member of another car board that saw my car at an all-european dyno day. I came across it by accident while surfing their site afterwards.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:49 PM
ldt1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought another red one about a month ago. still having to go look out the window to admire it regularly. The red 951 is a thing of singular beauty. tickets be damned.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:05 PM
icat
Race Car

My first 944 was Guards Red - and I hated it. Swore up and down that the next one would be any color other than red. Looked for almost a year before finally giving up and buying my 951 - in Guards Red. Over the 7 or so years I've owed it I've grown to like the uber rare Guards Red paint.

I've gotten 3 tickets in my 33 years of driving. The first was in a white Corvette (70 something in a 55), the second in a black Mirada (expired inspection sticker), and the third in a brown Monte Carlo (50 in a 35 - ON AN ON RAMP FOR GOSH SAKES!). Maybe I better stick to Guards Red - seems safer.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:09 PM
gmsracing
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My first 951 was guards red. When I was looking to buy my second one, I was specifically looking for an '86 guards with the black Fuchs. I think it's a great combination. My next choice is a black '89 with the club sport wheels.

As for tickets... it's all about how you drive.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:34 AM
ttwitc9516
Advanced

Never gotten a ticket for owning a red 944, only for driving like a jackass! I've gotten a lot of tickets in my 30 years of driving and can honestly say I've never gotten one I didn't deserve. But I've gotten away without getting a bunch I have deserved. Courtesy and respect go a long way!
Old 02-28-2005, 12:52 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ttwitc9516
Never gotten a ticket for owning a red 944, only for driving like a jackass! I've gotten a lot of tickets in my 30 years of driving and can honestly say I've never gotten one I didn't deserve. But I've gotten away without getting a bunch I have deserved. Courtesy and respect go a long way!
I have to agree.. coutesty and respet does go a long way.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:54 AM
z3bra
Racer

Veteran plates don't hurt either, not a huge difference, but it generally seems like once they see em they pay less attention to you all things considered. It's not a guarantee, but all other factors aside, if it comes down to pulling over the guy with vet plates vs. the one without vet plates, odds are it's going to be the guy without. It is profiling in a positive fashion but lets face it, it's human nature to categorize and quantify things.

Better still if you've got the DD214 to back it and your state offers them, Purple Heart or former POW plates are great insurance for not getting pulled over for little pissant stuff. Sure if you're driving like a complete *** you'll still get pulled over and you should, but Vet plates and PH/POW plates moreso seem to give you a little more slack with the police. (At least they seem to here in Arizona).

No I can't provide any stats to back this up other than more than once having cops come up on me and then back off once they see those and find someone else to follow.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:56 AM
djazzy99
Instructor

Ok, i know my car isnt gaurds red, but it is still red...and i have been followed by the cops repeatedly...one memorable time was on may 2-4 weekend where a cop decided to stay in my blind spot for about 10 mins while i was travelling at about 105 km/h and the rest of the traffic was going about 110-115....he finally left after i decided to do nothing...longest 10 mins of my life. up at school i have been pulled over and my vehicle was inspected...this time, it was not the colour of the car, it was the colour of the driver that the officer had a problem with. i guess it depends on who pulls you over...but its no reason to buy a car in a colour you don't want.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Owain
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
Left side, very top one. Right side, third one down.
Probably bottom right, also, the second red car, behind the main subject. If that's true, whos car is the main subject (love those wheels), and is that my hood in the bottom right corner of that pic?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:55 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I swear everytime I see a red 944 I'm going to do mine in that color. I love the stone grey metallic, but there's something about a red 944. Mmmmm.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Owain, still incomplete answer.

and no it's not your hood.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:55 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich,

I'm thinking top left, third down on the right, and bottom right (yours is partially obscured in the bottom right pic).

I don't remember your cars looking like any of the other pics.
Old 02-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Close...

Old 02-28-2005, 08:58 PM
Owain
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Owain, still incomplete answer.
Yeah, I had a feeling...I knew you had a lot of wheels but you seem to have even more than I thought you had

and no it's not your hood.
I thought not. I didn't recognise where that pic could have been taken.

On the subject of red, my old car was Ruby Red, sorta like red but much more subdued. I really liked that colour. Another Porsche red that I really like but was only offered on 911s and 928s is Kiln Red; kind of a coppery red:

I like Guards Red, but it's not my favourite 944 colour.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:53 AM
danny951
Three Wheelin'

man, the pic with all the wheels was a great way for me to pick which wheels I want.. and after reading all these posts and seeing all these guards red 951's I think I really am starting to like the red.

Favorite Quote: "And Porsche and red are like beer and cold... Snow and skiing... Hawaii and sun."

Thanks for all the great input.. A very kind rennlister is going to check out the prospect guards red 951 this week and get back with me.. if it looks good and the PPI checks out, I'll be the newest owner of a guards red 951! My hesitation with red has been subdued...

Quick Reply: To buy or not to buy a RED 951