Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Odd place for the turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Tomas L
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhesus
Hmmm I wonder what would happen if you went through a big puddle...
A cracked turbine housing if it was red hot....
Old 02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboX
WTH!??@ Why do that, you have to wait for exhaust to run all the way through (including restrictive cats.) spool up the turbo then go all the way back up front. Let along that turbo is very small for a V8. Whats with the intake being there 4 inchs from the dirty water and snow covered ground!!!!! Its a good experiment but seems like it wouldn't make any since...

-Ian
Your note about the small turbo, thats WHY it works half decently, cause its a small little turbo. This whole setup is geared at non-intercooled, low boost applications. The bigger engine is already pushing lots of exhaust, so combine that with no intercooler, low boost, and small turbo, and you get a workable setup. The long piping acts as the intercooler. And in its location, it prolly runs cool enough that theres no red hotness involved.

Personally, id rather have a proper turbo setup in a car like that (not that it matters, I wouldnt ever own a modern Camaro to start with) but when spark plug changes are an all day thing that usually involves dropping the engine, then I can see why theyd come up with a thing like that.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the show, they mentioned that you can spray water on a red-hot turbine housing and it won't crack. I'm not sure I believe it though.

Since they aren't lowering the compression ratio on the engine or anything, why not just bite the parasitic loss, and go with a supercharger?...

That setup is going to have issues down the road.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:10 PM
951kid
Advanced

I read a huge post on this on a F-body site, it seemed like a good idea if you can get past your turbo being a few inches off the ground, though alot of poeple talked about cutting into the spare tire housing so they could get around nasty water on a hot turbo.

i dont think the length of exaust tubing would be as critical to spool up as we might crack it up to be considering the hige mass of air getting pushed through the engine every min. and the volume of the pipes being pretty small in comparison.

my $.02

Anthony
Old 02-16-2005, 10:21 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When can Cooter get started on mine?
Old 02-17-2005, 12:16 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure they could have used a larger turbo that spools just as quick. If your going to put a turbo on a car like that you mine as well put a turbo that can produce more power than that, specially if you are paying that sort of money. Just my opinion though it does make since to have a turbo that spools up just perfect for the car, I just belive they could have put a larger turbo in that spools just as quick.

-Ian
Old 02-17-2005, 06:37 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

my friend just got one of these on his camaro. it works pretty well....but i still am not comfortable with the location. for more info you can go to www.ststurbo.com that's the product he actually ordered. he is getting an intercooler next month.....
Old 02-17-2005, 07:31 PM
Zero10
Race Car

The reason they don't run a larger turbo, is because they are producing rather low boost levels. The engine internals are not modified, they don't lower the compression or anything, so really they can't run a lot of boost, and don't need a big turbo.

It's a novel idea, I have to give them that, and I guess it works alright, but it wouldn't have been my first choice for turbo placement. I would rather hide it inside the front bumper, with the inlet poking out, like in a lot of race cars
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 PM
merctech
1st Gear

Hey guys whats up Im knew to this forum but not new to cars. I owed a camaro SS for two years and loved it. It had the 3rd gen small block the ls1 . I had just a couple of bolt-on and put 330hp to the wheels now add 5psi of boost and you got a very potent car . STS claims full boost at 3000rpm perfect for the ls1. Its different for sure but it had me really interested when I had my car. Check out jlturbo.com they have a video on a ls1 seems pretty impressive. just my 2cents
Old 02-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Skunk Workz
Pro

As long as the exhaust piping is carefully matched to exhaust flow,so you don't try kicking supersonic flow in there...there's no lag,because the small volume keeps speed up,it will get to the turbine in .2 sec anyway...if you go ricey with a 4" all the way back you'll have boost next week,though.

Quick Reply: Odd place for the turbo