Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 944 turbo tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 06:32 PM
johnlam15
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 944 turbo tires

Im looking for the best possible rubber for the money. I have Goodyear eagle hp now with 225 in the front and 245 in the back. I would love any suggestions you have, thank you
Old 02-09-2005, 06:59 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the Fuzion tires. They are extremely cheap and Ive heard that they are a pretty good tire.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:43 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts

What is your budget? Including shipping, M&B?

I have heard mixed reviews of the Fuzion, but then again I hear mixed reviews of every tire. I quite liked the Kumho Supra 712s and feel they are good, at least until they have been heat cycled too many times, so maybe not good for AutoX or track days. I am looking at Falkens next, and am curious about the Conti Sport Contact (more $$)

-Joel.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:56 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are satisfied with Khumo 712's I suspect that anything will do. I wouldn't recommend them unless you feel that it's ok driving your Porsche with clogs...

What do you want to get out of your tires? They are probably the most important thing on the car.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the best you can afford and forget about all the marginal go-fast parts. You'll be glad you did when you really need them.

If you have to scrimp on tires you might be in for a rude surprise about maintenance costs.

Welcome!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Matt H
Race Director

If you are satisfied with Khumo 712's I suspect that anything will do. I wouldn't recommend them unless you feel that it's ok driving your Porsche with clogs...
Anders and I agree two times in one week! The 712 is a piece, no nice way to say it.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

So have you owned and driven them?

-Joel
Old 02-10-2005, 12:20 AM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Try Yokohama AVS ES100. They hav been recomended and I will be buying these in about a month. But for the price there great. From tirerack.com i can get them shipped to my door for $420. Thats 225/45/16 and 245/45/16
Old 02-10-2005, 08:40 AM
Matt H
Race Director

So have you owned and driven them?
Not only owned and driven them but done tire testing with them. I owned them when they first came out and I have done fairly extensive tire testing with them. You dont even want to know how much longer it takes to stop on a wet skid pad with them compared to a decent tire. If you prefer a full review it goes something like this:
Dry traction is decent for the first 5K miles
Wet traction is abhorrent from day one and get worse quickly
Tires are generally quiet until the 5K mark, then they become so incredibly loud you might think you were riding in a jet.
Average life span is in the 15-18K mile range
I can go on if you like. What I find ironic is that people buy them because they are cheap. However, the life span is so short that in the long run they are as expensive as a good set of tires. You could buy any number of tires that will last twice as long, handle at least twice as well, and only cost 20-30% more. On a cost per mile they are one of the most expensive tires in the market.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:07 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

MattH - Can you point us to any resources that have objective comparisons between tires? Your "cost per mile" comment got me thinking that there might be a resource out there that shows some real "good" data. I always try to compare my tire choices on Tire Rack based on users reviews, but I don't know that those reviews are all that worthwhile.

I've always been a Dunlop lover (best choice for my motorcycle, and they seem to have a good all-around lineup for everything else too). I've been using D40M2's on my 924S from day one, switched to the SP8000 when they changed the name (exact same tire), but now they've screwed me and dropped the SP8000 in favor of an even cheaper tire to compete with the 712's and ES100's of the world... Dunlop calls their new replacement at this price point the SP Sport FM901... the tread looks like a sport SUV tire to me...

I agree that the 712's get unbearably noisy after a while... my brother had them on his Z28 and they got so loud that we couldn't hardly hear eachother talk while driving down the highway.

Not sure what my next set will be, maybe I'll finally jump up to the next price point and get the SP Sport 9000's, but I sure would like to find some good data to help me choose a nice stick tire that has a high "dollar per mile" ratio.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:17 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Your "cost per mile" comment got me thinking that there might be a resource out there that shows some real "good" data.
No, I cant. I work for a tire company Nothing we have is able to be published. However, if you figure that they cost 50% of a "good" tire and last 1/3 as long it is a pretty simple formula. I am not sure how people can stand them past 8-10K miles. I have had people tell me that they thought something was wrong with their car because they tires were so loud!

To clarify the FM901 did not replace the SP8000. The SP8000 position really doesnt exist in the Dunlop line any more. The SP9000 was designed to be a competitor to the Michelin/BS lines. The FM901 is designed to compete in the entry level market (and it doesnt do a very good job of it).

Try the RE-750, good bang for the buck. The KDW-2 gets pretty good reviews but I have to say that I am not a fan of BFG. If you are willing to spend a little more the Pilot Sport/Sport 2 and the S-03 are the tires I would look at (I have had a sets of both the PS and S-03).
Old 02-10-2005, 11:08 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt H
Not only owned and driven them but done tire testing with them. I owned them when they first came out and I have done fairly extensive tire testing with them.
Well I admit I did not own them for long and did overheat them so I could not say how well they work in the real world. However I have been suprised by the 'poor wet traction' comments I have read. I have read other reviews that claimed excellent wet traction, which is what I experienced.

At any rate the price on the 712 seems to have gone up so there is little point in getting them now.

I am considering Falken Ze512's or Conti ExtremeContact for my daily driver. The Conti's might last longer but cost a bit more. For the daily driver I do not want summer performance tires but rather a good three season (everything but winter) tire that is reasonably quiet and good in the wet.

For the original poster of this thread, what about the Falken FK-451? $75/$95 or so (front/rear) mail order? The Yoko ES100 and Avon Tech M500 are at a similar price point. I know nothing about Avon tires for cars but have enjoyed them on motorcycles.

-Joel.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If you are willing to spend a little more the Pilot Sport/Sport 2 and the S-03 are the tires I would look at (I have had a sets of both the PS and S-03)
Yeah, I had considered stepping up to the plate and trying some S-03's... but I can't quite convince myself to get hooked on Michelins... my wallet isn't fat enough to maintain a habit like that.

I guess what I want is something *just* under the uber-priced extreme high-end tires that will get the job done well. I'll take your suggestion and consider the RE-750, but I'm probably still going to compare it to the SP9000. Like you, I'm not a BFG fan either... they always seem to be positioning themselves to attract the V-8 crowd. I'd rather stick with someone who at least attempts to market to our demographic.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:46 AM
Matt H
Race Director

I have read other reviews that claimed excellent wet traction, which is what I experienced.
I think that most of the "reviews" I have read on them that praise them are tires that have less than 5K miles and generally are from a younger crowd. I.e. they havent ever tried a top quality tire. If you read the reviews of the tires with more miles you will see mirrors of the complaints. I see a lot of, good for the money, reviews as well. That is kind of a cop out. That says, they suck, but they were cheap so I got what I expected.

S-03 is Bridgestone, PS2 is Michelin.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnlam15
Im looking for the best possible rubber for the money. I have Goodyear eagle hp now with 225 in the front and 245 in the back. I would love any suggestions you have, thank you
John ... check under the tires forum here. I just posted an article from ourlocal (national) newspaper regarding tires. I do use and recommend the Fuzion tires. I have used them both on the track and on road. Shannoville is a twisty course and the tires were great!!

https://rennlist.com/forums/wheel-and-tire-forum/184969-tire-recommendations.html

Hope this helps!

Jaak

P.S. Matt recommended them!!!

Quick Reply: 86 944 turbo tires