Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 02:13 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris951
I have bone stock front suspension
Ok, I scrubed my stock worn out stuff too.

What I listed above works well for me, street/DE
Old 02-07-2005, 02:16 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
I like the feel, firm but not too fim for street use and works well for DE's. Rears are Koni yellows, stock t-bars and 968 MO30 sways.
That is what i am running (except the MO30 sways).

What brand are you're front springs David, Weltmiester? (sp)
Old 02-07-2005, 02:17 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
That is what i am running (except the MO30 sways).

What brand are you're front springs David, Weltmiester? (sp)
Hypercoils
Old 02-07-2005, 02:21 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Hypercoils
Kool.........
Old 02-07-2005, 02:25 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks David,
Does the standard rear ever bottom out ?
I'm running coilovers at the rear as well.
Right now I'm running with 400 lbs rears.
If I go for the same set up as yours, what
coil spring rate should I go for ? I've read
somewhere but can't remember where that
the wheel rates in Paragons tech article is not
accurate. Any advice ?

Thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 02:30 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J Chen
Thanks David,
Does the standard rear ever bottom out ?
I'm running coilovers at the rear as well.
Right now I'm running with 400 lbs rears.
If I go for the same set up as yours, what
coil spring rate should I go for ? I've read
somewhere but can't remember where that
the wheel rates in Paragons tech article is not
accurate. Any advice ?

Thanks
Can't help with rear coilovers as I have not run them.

What you have seems to be more track ready and I think it would be a little harsh for me on street also.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:33 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Hey, thanks for the responses. So it seems like if I were to get the 250lbs springs that it would probably be alright, and If anything I can get a good alignment to hopefully help me out with understeer if needed.
What is the difference between the single adjust and double adjust shocks?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:09 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm running the following in my 924S... the Turbo is stock "S" suspension (sgl adj koni's, etc).

924S:
Bilstein shocks on 4 corners (Paragon)
Adj height spring perches front (Paragon)
225lb Hypercoils front (Paragon)
Turbo M030 sway bars front & rear
Poly control arm & sway bar bushings front
Stock rear torsion bars
15x7 phone dials front & rear with 225/50-15 tires (924S stock is 15x6, 195's)

I know this isn't what you are asking about, but I thought it might help somewhere. I think the fronts are pretty stiff, but I'm also running the same size rubber all the way around (most Turbo's don't do that). I think if I had wider rubber in the rear that the front might plow a little. As it is, I'm thinking about going to 250 or 275lbs on the front... I think that will actually help my balance as it seems to be a little loose at the limit right now (at DE's).
Old 02-08-2005, 12:05 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh - I forgot to mention... the single most important thing that I think I've ever done to make my car "feel" good while cornering at the track was a GOOD track alignment. After I had done all of the suspension mods listed above, I took the 924S to a local expert (independant) Porsche shop and had them do an alignment with my "track usage" in mind. They didn't go crazy, but they picked a happy medium that leaned toward track specs. They also lowered the rear about 3/4" - a MUST on these cars since the factory had to raise the rear from Euro specs to meet US bumper specs before importing.

The combination of lowering the rear (and front a little too) and a good track alignment made a HUGE difference in the car's handling. It also extended my track tire life by quite a bit... they wear much more evenly now (Toyo RA-1's).
Old 02-09-2005, 12:33 AM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
The combination of lowering the rear (and front a little too) and a good track alignment made a HUGE difference in the car's handling. It also extended my track tire life by quite a bit... they wear much more evenly now (Toyo RA-1's).
Yeah I had planned on doing both of these, I hope lowering the rear is not that bad but from the instructions ive read it doesnt seem too bad.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:31 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Trackin951,

There is a dyno session at a performance shop in Crystal/Robbinsdale on this Saturday 10-noon, put on by the local PCA club. There will be plenty of guys there that will be willing to discuss suspension and Im sure you may be able to find some contacts for spare parts and upgrades in the twin cities.

Let me know if you want more info and directions to event.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:45 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I hope lowering the rear is not that bad but from the instructions ive read it doesnt seem too bad
I don't think lowering was difficult - but I don't have first-hand experience because my car was already in the shop for something else (clutch), so I had them lower it while it was there. There's an eccentric, but I don't think it takes special tools.

On the subject of alignments and special tools though, there *is* a special tool required to adjust the rear of these cars (can't remember if it's camber, castor, or toe). Make sure that you have a Porsche shop (factory or independent) do the alignment, or they won't be able to do the rear properly. I've heard stories from people who got alignments done at generic alignment shops only to find out that the rears were not touched... that's not good, especially if you've just lowered the rear.

I had my alignment done at Mayo Performance in Euless, TX. They know what they are doing, and they have a great alignment guy. Many smaller shops don't even do alignments in-house, so a good one might be tough to find.
Old 02-09-2005, 11:18 AM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Trackin951,

There is a dyno session at a performance shop in Crystal/Robbinsdale on this Saturday 10-noon, put on by the local PCA club. There will be plenty of guys there that will be willing to discuss suspension and Im sure you may be able to find some contacts for spare parts and upgrades in the twin cities.

Let me know if you want more info and directions to event.
I would love more information on this. So you guys all have your cars out of storage huh. Well I dont but sounds like fun. Yeah if I could get some more info that would be great.
Thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 11:44 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKIN951
Yeah I had planned on doing both of these, I hope lowering the rear is not that bad but from the instructions ive read it doesnt seem too bad.
It is not that bad, but if you lower it too much it will generate some understeer. If you run stiff front springs and stock t-bars keeping the rear up just bit from level will actually add a littl oversteer that the car needs to balance the understeering aspects of this stiffer front.

So don't just drop it all way down. It will in fact make the car worse.

If you have a balanced F/R spring set-up then you want the car to sit level. If you are stiff in front then a little bit rear high helps the car rotate.

If you are soft in front the a little lower in the rear keeps the back end planted. Bottomline is the rake of the car does impact the handling balance so becarefull how much you adjust.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:17 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TRACKIN951
I would love more information on this. So you guys all have your cars out of storage huh. Well I dont but sounds like fun. Yeah if I could get some more info that would be great.
Thanks

Place is called S&S Performance and is off of Hwy 100 on 81 (Lakeland Ave), north of Robbinsdale, south of the Crystal Airport. Address is 5141 Lakeland Ave N Crystal, MN 55429-3556 for a Mapquest search. Again time is 10am-approx noon.

No, we dont have our cars out of storage, so dont expect too many P-cars in the parking lot, although there are a couple guys that drive their 964 C4s year around.

It wont be a big dyno event, just a couple cars are being used as an example to show the shop's dyno capabilities. More of a winter social event for the club to get together and talk about cars and do some bench racing as we wait for the snow to melt and the track season to start.

But again, probably worthwhile to get in touch with some of the local guys for tech info and parts.

Quick Reply: Another Suspension Question??