944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Newbe E/Bay Hell need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005 | 08:13 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

There might actually be a LITTLE truth to that. . . Supposedly the n/a cams do increase power in 951s somewhat. At least that's what I remember reading on here a while back. Might be bogus, maybe not.

As far as "engineered inferiority", it's done all the time - don't kid yourself. Perfect examples: Celeron processors, plastic components (instead of metal) in autos, the Ford Focus, 4-cylinder (or even 6-cylinder) Mustangs from the 1990s, etc. "Engineering" is as much about cost and niche / application as it is about pure performance. If everything in the world were engineered solely for performance, nobody could afford anything!

Quite often, parts are "deleted" or "downgraded" from the "performance" design in order to make a product that can fill a less wealthy market niche. I personally don't like the idea either - it's kind of stupid to put the same amount of work into a product just to justify charging more or less for it based on bean-counter's marketing targets, but that's the way it is now.
Old 02-05-2005 | 08:38 AM
special tool
Banned

Don't bother with the late NA cam. It has a little more overlap, so you will get more lag from reversion. You can check for overlap on the back of your intake valves when you pull the intake - they will be black.
You may get 1/10 hp up top
Old 02-05-2005 | 11:56 AM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=Buckaroo Banzi]
he thinks I am setting him up he just happens to be overlooking the reason I started the tear down was because of the welded fuel rail anyone who would sell a motor in this condition and call it safe is in my opion certifiable.
QUOTE]

You told him you tore it down because of a welded fuel rail? No wonder he doesn't trust you, that makes no sense at all. Lots of these cars have cracked fuels rails that jave been welded, it's a common problem.
Old 02-05-2005 | 12:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Do you have pictures of the parts you think are damaged?
Old 02-05-2005 | 02:25 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

So... how do you do a compression test with the engine out of the car???
Old 02-07-2005 | 09:06 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Turn it over by hand.

Quick Reply: Newbe E/Bay Hell need advice