Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

removal of the torsion bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:40 AM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No, the camber plates replace the upper strut mounts. That's the same thing I did.

I don't really know how it handles because I don't drive it. It seems pretty stiff but not too bad with 400lb. springs and 30mm tbars. Everything is a lot tighter with the new bushings everywhere, tie rod assemblies, and ball joints. But it was all pretty rotten before.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Elephant Chuck
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the thread on torsion bar / bushing replacement

I show a technique for removing the bushings that is easy. It really works and is fast.

The fitment issues with delrin and other plastic bushings is that the factory parts are built to non-exacting tolerance. This makes it impossible for the plastic bushes to fit out of the box without custom machining. Unfortunately they are difficult to machine properly (they must be round, straight, and precisely sized after being distorted by the mounts) and most attempts to machine do as much harm as good.

This is one of the places where PolyBronze bearings shine. They are easy to fit and require no machining. Excellent ride and no squeaks. There is a thread discussing their ride quality over on the 911 list right now, here
Old 02-02-2005, 02:17 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Chuck,
Very nice write up. I use the same method for removing the
spring plate as well. The nxt timr I do the suspension, I get
a polybronze bushing from you. I'm kicking myself that I've not
heard of your products sooner.

Quick Reply: removal of the torsion bars