Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Solid Lifters For 2.5, 2.8 & 3.0Ls

Old 01-29-2005, 11:13 AM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solid Lifters For 2.5, 2.8 & 3.0Ls

I just did a search on this topic, but didn't really find a lot of information on what I'm looking for. So, I thought I would post this thread. I'm very curious to learn about solid lifters, especially since I have no knowledge on them. I'm hoping to hear the pros, the cons, and what HP gains can be expected from, if any at all. I sense that people who have solid lifters use them in conjunction with a more aggressive cam; which can yield more HP, so I believe.

I welcome comments by all members, however, I would prefer to hear from those who have used hydraulic and made the switch to solid. It would be nice to hear from people who have put them in street car as well as those who use them track cars too. Thanks to everyone in advance.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:48 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem with this is you wouldn't be able to adjust them. The cam housing is a one piece unit, so you cant really get to them once they are on. It would end up being a huge project and you would need to have a custom cam housing made with a typical valve cover on top of it.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Skunk Workz
Pro

Working on a cam housing having "inspection ports" along the side that will make it so much easier to run solid lifters on any 944/951...as said before,it's almost impossible to adjust them with the stock cam housing...
Old 01-29-2005, 12:33 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks guys, this is great. But a few things: 1.) How often do they need to be adjusted? I know it depends on the amount/type of driving, but on average? Every 10k, 15K, 20K? 2.) Does anyone sell a custom cam housing too? 3.) So far, I hear nothing but "disadvantages", there has to be some positive aspects to them?

Keep the responses coming, this is really nice.

Old 01-29-2005, 12:37 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Stock lifters need adjustment?????
Old 01-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What would be the advantage to this anyway? The hydraulic ones seem fine to me - if you're looking to change or influence the valve timing & duration, look at custom cams.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:17 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
What would be the advantage to this anyway? The hydraulic ones seem fine to me - if you're looking to change or influence the valve timing & duration, look at custom cams.

Jeff, i just recently researched this (solid vs hydraulic lifters) topic and came up with very interesting results, the hydrolic ones are not so great after all........at least NOW
Old 01-29-2005, 01:26 PM
HAMMER502
Instructor

TO MY UNDERSTANDING THE LIMITING FACTOR ON RPM IS THE WEIGHT OF THE LIFTERS ON TOP OF THE VALVE.IF I AM WRONG SORRY,BUT WITH A LIGHTER LIFTER(SOLID SHOULD BE LIGHTER)YOU COULD TURN MORE RPM WITHOUT HAVING TO GET OUTRAGEOUS WITH THE VALVE SPRING RATES.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, share it with the class. . .
Old 01-29-2005, 01:35 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

To properly take FULL advantage of solid lifters, 'special' springs must be used as well.........

Now, im using this AS AN EXAMPLE since i came across this, but it seem's like Lindsey Racing is working on this (lifters & spring set-ups)

Don't start the LR affair again!!!

Here is the LR 'race springs' http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...ode=LR-944-RVS

Here is some general info on solid lifters :http://www.magnummotorcycles.com.au/...ps/camtips.htm

All Links posted above are EXAMPLES!!!!!! don't start quoting me and giving me the BS factor
Old 01-29-2005, 02:07 PM
m42racer
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you intend to run higher RPM's, there is no advantage to changing over. It becomes a nver ending issue, unless you change alot of the parts. Someone stated you need to change the springs. Not true, unless you want to upgrade to better springs. Here's what I know.

A more aggressive cam design, one which accelerates the opening and has a more rapid closing requires a soild Tappet, along with the higher engine speeds, which Hydraulic Tappets will not handle should be paired with a lighter Valve and Retainer. This would be the best, but even with the stock Valve and retainer they could be used. If you want to use the stock Valves, the Tappets required are called stem type. A small stem hangs down to take up ther measured difference. If you go with another Valve, it is made longer and the Tappet used is called a shim type. The springs used only need to the required length for the given Retainer height and if the springs can handle the RPM's without having to be set up with very short installed height to increase the seat pressure and not go into Coil bind. The stock springs are not very good for harmonics and other things I'm not to sure about, but there are good ones out there for this application. Some of the parts that are developed for my engine include a complete Valve Train kit. Bigger Valves, Titanuim Retainers, special very high quality Valve Springs, Titanium Valve Keepers, both styles of Tappets, Camshafts, lightweight adjustable cam pulley with degree markings and an exchange Cam Housing with side openings for adjustment will be available very soon. Even complete assembled heads will be available with all these parts included. I have asked that these heads be made available with fully documented flow reports. Everything is very close. I have been away in the UK, but I did get an update on the progress of the parts and as of yesterday, the only parts not completely finished were the Pulleys and the Cam Housings inserts. Everything else is done. Anyone interested can email me for more info and pictures.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:55 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Milledge has been putting together solid cam engines for a while. Here is a picture to drool over. The drivers side of the cam tower has threaded inspection ports for measuring lash.

Chris White
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2005, 03:58 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Gotta love that intake

Wonder how much it costs
Old 01-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

uhhh drooool
Old 01-29-2005, 04:05 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hussam: "Now Available for 944. 944 System for use with either Normally Aspirated or Turbo. 46-52mm barrel valves with throttle linkage, injector rails, intake plenums with two volumes. Complete 944 System ~ $5600"

Chris: Thanks for the pic. I know you are building a 3.1L. But let me re-direct you to my orginal questions which I posted. I would really like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Solid Lifters For 2.5, 2.8 & 3.0Ls