Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mounting of O2 sensor (help please)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will any muffler shop have a plug for the unused bung and be able to weld a new one in my mild steel test pipe, or should I bring it somewhere special?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:59 AM
danderson
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys - I will let you know how I get on

Can I take it that everybody who has installed the 02 sensor has done so with the exhaust on the car?

Also I may for the time being use the narrow band gauge as I cannot afford the wideband gauge at this time. Is anyone operating a narrowband and happy with it? I am not looking for data to tune the car, just an early warning if it is running excessively rich or more importantly lean!

Darren
Old 01-27-2005, 07:47 AM
special tool
Banned

Danderson - that's the thing - you can't even reliably use them for that.
I have a wideband and a narrowband monitor that I have had for years, just to see the difference. The narrow monitor is a joke, I don't know what the hell it is talking about. I will see 12:1 on wideband and the narrow monitor will show all lights to 14??? Forget it.

Also - you have to remove the exhaust because you want that wideband to be at 9:00, or above, so moisture stays away from it.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:15 AM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I disagree on this fact (with most of the rennlist posters as it happens ) I have a narrowband and it gives repeatable results and when an intake pipe split I could see I was running richer. When on a trackday the pipe that runs to the fuel pressure regulator came off and I was running lean, I couldn't tell you how lean accurately, but it was very different so I stopped and investigated.
I think a lot of the "narrowband is useless" info comes from people with damaged standard lamda sensors. However there is no doubt wideband is better and I intend to upgrade later - it iwll be interesting to compare the two.
Refering to your original question follow the wideband position suggested, then if you want to change
later you can unscrew the sensor and replace it.
Tony (sidestream)
Old 01-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did compare a narrow band readout, with a brand new Bosch sensor O2 sensor, to the WBO2 on the dyno. It was so inaccurate that I had no choice but to buy a WBO2.

If a person spends $4000 on upgrades and rebuilds or refresh, how can you not spend $270-$500 to tune and protect your investment. The savings in dyno time alone would pay for the sensor.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:14 PM
UK952
Burning Brakes

I dont run a maf, map or standalone so have no facility to change the tuning other than throwing in a new chip. The results with the narrowband are repeatable, I am not particularly bothered by the actual figures just want to see a change if something breaks, which I do, then i fix it
Tony
Old 01-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951...nd%20wires.htm

Something in here may help...
Old 01-28-2005, 03:02 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UK952
I dont run a maf, map or standalone so have no facility to change the tuning other than throwing in a new chip. The results with the narrowband are repeatable, I am not particularly bothered by the actual figures just want to see a change if something breaks, which I do, then i fix it
Tony

Tony: i would be purchasing a Narrowband and wideband at the same time (the WB would be used for tuning perposes). The WB is very handy and a worthy investment even on a stock car, you would know how things are going on....

The Zeitronix unit, so far, is the cheapest and one of the most popular out there. And for ~$300 (including a boost sensor and 1 extra channel) and full logging capabilities, it's pretty much worth it......
Old 01-28-2005, 08:06 AM
danderson
7th Gear

Thanks Tom

The pictures regarding installation are going to help.

I think that like Tony, I will start with the narrow band as an early warning system, and then get my hands on a wideband next time there is a group buy on the 944 forums in the UK.

Regards

Darren
Old 01-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Black Arrow
Racer

I need to change my WB02 to I think, its located far away from where it should.. Just did this last summer as an emergency install:P

Another question, I would like to install a backpressure sensor while I have everything out!

1. The Exhaust back pressure is measured after the turbo right? Can I put the Exhaust back pressure sensor in the downpipe together with the WB02 maybee?

2. The Turbo back pressure is measured in the crossover, between the turbo and the head right? Here I can use the original place in the crossover, where it goes down to from 2-1 near the WG, to install the sensor?

Do I need both those to measure?

Uuuups! Sorry for hijacking you tread...
Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 AM
special tool
Banned

Thomas - that location is perfect, don't change it.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:50 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Thomas - that location is perfect, don't change it.
Mine is in the same area too, and seems to work great. Is yours pointing down? -- can't really tell from the picture.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Black Arrow
Racer

Tom:
No, actually not. Thats one of the fault with the install. Its not pointing down, either up. Just straight out from the exhaust. I know its supposed to tilt either ways, but we welded it in with the exhaust on the car, therefor we had to do it like this.
Well, I think I`ll just leave it like it is, and just change the sensor when ever I need to
Old 05-20-2005, 01:15 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Out of curiousity since I know I'll need to go WB soon with the MAP kit still in tuning; just waiting for budget to catch up with dreams. I thought I remembered earlier that the Zeitronix and others were not compatible with the Link Piggyback AFM for the Guru MAP kit datalogging capability - as this seems my only real capability for datalogging, how are the guys out there handling their tuning with wb02 based on this? Does the WB work with other equipment so you can datalog outside of the Link system and make it accurate, just using the Link handheld to tune what you read off of the WB02 datalogging, or is there a cross referencing process that has to go on as well?

TIA
Old 05-20-2005, 01:21 PM
special tool
Banned

You got it, man. Figure out how to cross-ref with your tuner. The Zeitronix makes it VERY easy with it's vertical slider bar. Freeze-frame it, check AFR and RPM from that point and match the RPM on your tuner to see what load cell it is using - then change that cell. Fool-proof.

Quick Reply: Mounting of O2 sensor (help please)