Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

aftermarket J boot?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 02:39 PM
JimLecesse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket J boot?

sorry if this is a repost or newbie question..

I've decided that my J boot is the ugliest part of my engine bay, and every time I have to remove it I worry about it tearing or cracking. Does anyone sell an aftermarket piece, possibly in SS or will I have to have something custom made? also, is it possible to install an aftermarket piece (that still retains all the necessary bungs/vacuum ports) instead of the "J" to reroute the intake cone somewhere behind the driver headlight (like a "cold air intake" for hondas and such..)

thanks
Jim
Old 01-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Just get a new one - I recently replaced the ones on both the 951 and 944 and I swear they run better for it - also I don't worry too much about it tearing now - new rubber is pretty strong, but the old ones were badly dry-rotted and I completely understand your concern about it splitting. I imagine you could fashion something out of PVC if you were so inclined, but it'd be a lot of fabrication and tough to make it look nice because of all the various bungs that have to stick off of it (especially on the turbo one). I'm not aware of any aftermarket replacement other than just going with an MAF or MAP setup.

Take it off and clean it once in a while by using some simple green and a hose - simply keeping it clean makes the engine look a lot better - dust tends to accumulate in the little "rectangles" between the ridges on them.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might check with www.lindseyracing.com and see if they have any of the turbo/AFM parts left over from the Kokeln intake system, which had a pc that had all the bungs on it, hoses to hook to the AFM and then a pc that hooked to the front of the AFM with K&N filter. You can get new J-boots from Paragon Products, 944 Online, several other vendors tool
Old 01-24-2005, 03:06 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea, a new j-boot is so spongy and soft it is kinda funny, after you remove an old hard rotten one.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I looked at making one when mine tore in like four spots. All the required silicon adapters would have come to more than the cost of a new one.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:22 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Speaking of J-boots, I just removed mine yesterday. The big hose had no crimp on it, and the other hose slipped right out, even though the crimp was on there, since the hole for it was rotted so badly. I didn't even loosen the hose clamp, since there's a huge split underneath it.... No wonder this thing ran badly!

Anyhoo, that aside, Who sells the cheapest replacement one?... I found one for my NA for about $20US, but all of the turbo ones seem to be around $100US.... That cannot be justified...
Old 01-24-2005, 04:31 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Yea, the turbo ones are expensive, probably due to the funky molds required to form that shape with all the bungs and holes. I looked too - cheapest I found was Paragon's. On the bright side though, at least you don't have to worry about dry-rotted hunks of rubber going through the turbo!
Old 01-24-2005, 04:33 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Random thought - you know what'd be awesome would be a true silicone J-boot. It'd certainly be expensive but I'll bet the cost would be justifiable since you'd never have to worry about it ever again.

And you could get 'em in COLORS!!!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Zero10
Race Car

I just learned my j-boot should have 4 hoses coming off it... uh oh.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:09 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

lol mine now only has one going in, used to have none in or out!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:18 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Random thought - you know what'd be awesome would be a true silicone J-boot. It'd certainly be expensive but I'll bet the cost would be justifiable since you'd never have to worry about it ever again.

And you could get 'em in COLORS!!!
Combine that with clear silicon covers for the belts what a combo!
Old 01-25-2005, 04:21 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does someone make clear timing belt covers?

Quick Reply: aftermarket J boot?