Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Who knows about: Quick release steering wheel (2 prong)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 03:37 PM
Driv200mph
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who knows about: Quick release steering wheel (2 prong)

Who knows the best price for complete assembly? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If LR doesn't handle them, call Jason at Paragon Products.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:42 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Paragon has them. It is a nice piece, very simple and you can't even tell that it is a QR hub. It makes it much easier to get in and out of a car with racing buckets.

Max
Old 01-24-2005, 12:09 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Paragon piece is the same pattern as the one in my car. Mine has some additional machining and is anodized, but functionally identical. Its a great pattern. Very quick and easy to use, positive locking, and NO introduced play in the union. Mine also retains the horn button function, which is handy for slow driver on DE days.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want one like this one Andy? MOMO, opposing T-handle pull outs for release.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:43 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

does that hub make the steering wheel stick out a lot more than stock? I do not have the stock spacer.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:03 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Another option is to purchase from TC Racing (http://www.tcracing.org). I just installed mine and it is a well-made unit. The package price (includes hub, wheel, QR mechanism) is attractive.

I think this may be the type that Ski is referring to. I just checked Paragon's website and it is the identical model.
Old 01-24-2005, 09:40 AM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

9Fitty1, it extends the steering column maybe 3/4". If you want it closer to you, you can buy spacers for Momo/Sparco wheels.

Max
Old 01-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lister here makes his own. PM user Geo for more information. His hubs are VERY popular with the other group he makes them for, the Nissan group. I have seen the piece and it is really nice. Additionally, I know George personally and can tell you there are very few guys I know that I would trust as much.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:08 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much Matt.

Yes, we (NISsport) make two different kinds of QR hub adapters. The first is a complete adapter with nothing else needed. It is a complete bolt-on unit. It places the steering wheel approximately 1.5-2" closer to the driver. The steering wheel is released by pulling a ring towards you. The price is $195 + shipping and sales tax for Texas residents.

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/prod...e=Applications

The other one we make is what we call a "Universal" QR adapter. It requires a MOMO hub adapter and it fits between the MOMO hub adapter and the steering wheel. It also is released by pulling a ring towards you. The price is $139 + shipping and sales tax for Texas residents.

http://www.nissport.com/catalog/prod...e=Applications

Both of our QR adapters use a splined mechanism for zero play.

We sold one to a 951 owner on Rennlist who wrote back about the fact that in 15 minutes time he was good to go with our bolt-on adapter.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:27 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I bought the dual "t" handle design from Paragon but had a bit of a problem with it... I tried to install it on my 924S that already has some sort of aftermarket wheel (Says "Fittipaldi Personal" or something like that, not sure what the brand is). My current wheel has 6 hex-head bolts that bolt directly to a wheel adapter on the column. When I remove those 6 bolts and the wheel, the quick-release adapter bolts up no problem. The problem is here - the bolt holds on the steering wheel side of the QR adapter don't line up with my wheel.

The bottom line is that the adapter has two different bolt patterns - one for the hub side, one for the wheel side. Does anyone else see a flaw in this design? I would expect that if one side of the QR adapter would bolt to my hub, that the other side should bolt to my wheel... does anyone have any suggestions as to why this isn't working?

So, for now, I've got that adapter still sitting in my garage in the box that it came in. I may try to use it with an aftermarket wheel for my 951 one of these days.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:44 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just give Paragon a call and they will fix the situation. I had no trouble with my installation. It was probably the simplest mod I have done on the car.

Max
Old 01-24-2005, 03:19 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

Matt,
The bolt pattern may not line up w/ your Fitti wheel. The adapter is designed to fit Sparco and Momo wheels (which share the same pattern) and the wheel that comes w/ the kit (slightly different pattern). These are both on the same side of the adapter.

If your Fitti has the Sparco/Momo pattern it should bolt right up.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:58 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jerome,

I'm not sure if the Fitti wheel is the same as Sparco/Momo, but I'm going to assume it's not since this doesn't line up.

What frustrates me is that one side of this adapter (with 6 holes) lines up perfectly and bolts right onto my hub adapter, but the steering wheel side (with 12 holes) does not line up. Wouldn't it make sense to have the same bolt pattern on both sides of the q/r adapter? I mean - if you are removing a steering wheel and inserting a q/r adapter - shouldn't both sides of the q/r adapter have the same bolt pattern? Seems like common logic to me...

I'll probably call Paragon one of these days to find out what extra parts I have to buy...

Quick Reply: Who knows about: Quick release steering wheel (2 prong)