Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Standalone, what do you have and how do you like it???

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Evan70
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danno, I'd be really interested in more info on that system as well. Please PM/email me with info if you don't want to post it here.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:45 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a link2, all stock sensors. Run for over a year and is rock solid.

If you want other options, get a 60-2 trigger kit, buy an AEM box and convert an old 951 harness, you will have a stand alone that will blow away anything within 3 or 4x the price range. I have wiring diagrams if you want. The AEM system is way way cool. I have all my AEM stuff on the shelf ready to go with a PnP harness for a 951 including a 4 ch CDI coil on plug sequential ingnition set up. I have had it running all together but not fitted it permanently yet.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:28 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

B951S, I saw an article in European Car talking about the AEM box on a E36 M3. Can you share some more info on it?
Thanks.
Raj
Old 01-20-2005, 12:33 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I hope I don’t sound like a broken record….but the support is as important as the unit.
Don’t get overly hung up on the initial cost – you need to factor in other things in to the big picture if you want to make a good choice.
Getting an inexpensive setup and then spending $2k on dyno time is false economy.
Danno’s set up sounds like a nice way to go – as long as you are sure the original wiring / sensors are all in good shape (I’m not picking on Danno’s ‘box’ – it really is a good idea).

Obviously I am biased towards the Tec3 setup – its not for everyone (a little pricey) but it does work quite well with highly modified stuff and has been proven in racing for years.

Chris White
Old 01-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Andrew Wojteczko
Instructor

We are running the TEC3R in our racecar and are very happy with inital results. Chris has base maps that will get you up and running in no time. His maps have been developed in real world scenarios as well as on the dyno, and from what we have seen so far, are a great starting point. One other point to consider is that if you are installing on a fresh engine, it is important to have a reasonable map to run in on, since dyno tuning a brand new engine is not ideal on an inertia based dyno, and will be expensive for the amount of time required on a steady state type dyno.

Andrew
Old 01-20-2005, 07:02 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

I got my Tec3 from Chris and although I did not have great success with his base map for some reason he has helped me to try and get the car all sorted out. It was a great learning experience for me to tune my car from scratch basically. The Tec3 has a lot of flexibility that you can use it to manage other things. I hope to have my water injection working by spring time that will be controlled by the Tec3.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:23 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Tom’s set up is a pretty interesting case – I wish I was able to spend some time with him at the dyno. Tom has the SFR 4 into 1 header and a stock K26/6. These two items have very different power bands and are actually fighting each other. The K26 had good low end response and torque but the 4 into 1 header is tuned for higher rpm power. In fact the 4 into 1 will loose mid range torque compared to a stock header but then make it up with high rpm HP. Unfortunately that’s just about when the K26 is giving up.
Tom has done a pretty good job tuning the Tec3 to get these two miss matched parts to work together. The last A/F chart was right on. His set up would really come alive with a bigger turbo…

Chris White
Old 01-20-2005, 07:40 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Actually it's the 26/8 turbo Chris. Some day maybe I will realize the 3L is not going to happen and just replace the turbo. For now I must keep the dream alive
Old 01-21-2005, 02:01 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, here's a little info on the plan... I working on a sequential turbo setup. I have a Garrett T-25 VNT for primary and the stock K26#6 as secondary. The primary will take care of initial spooling and lower RPMs, the secondary will actuate and spool adding in with it at midrange to red. I hope to keep both turbos well in their efficiency range to keep intake temps down and thus be able to push impressive boost with minimal lag. I'm working on ways to make most of the turbo system mechanical, not electronicly controlled (besides the wastegate) to keep costs down a bit and ease tuning with only one system, not a calamity. I'm looking more towards MAP based to help as far as not needing to have two MAFs or one nasty intake tract. I would prefer MAF due to drivability and accuracy of monitoring airflow, I just don't see it being an easy task to fit it.

I'd like to find a system that is affordable, 2K range, capable of dealing with boost at any RPM and flexible enough for my plan. It could build boost quite fast at any RPM and changover between the two turbos.

I may be able to work out a boost or RPM controlled actuator for the secondary turbo, I'm leaning towards mechanical for now.

Winslow, your car is my god, lol. I hope to have something to present at the Fest, it may be running by then if cash is kind to me this year.

I haven't covered all systems yet, but I'm taking a liking to the Motec M4 series, any feedback on those?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:26 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops, duh, Danno, what are the details on your setup? Do you have them listed on a site?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:56 AM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1) "I'd like to find a system that is affordable, 2K range,"
2) "but I'm taking a liking to the Motec M4 series"

Sounds like two thoughts on a collision course.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:59 AM
facboy
Burning Brakes

sif m4! m800!
Old 01-21-2005, 10:29 AM
B951S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 968TurboS
B951S, I saw an article in European Car talking about the AEM box on a E36 M3. Can you share some more info on it?
Thanks.
Raj
Raj,

I posted a few weeks back with a description and pics of the set up I built.
Some of the main features that attracted me to it are:

-Amazing boost control features with all kinds of ways to controll boost (TPS, switched inputs, road speed etc) and great control over error control.

-Switchable fuel / timing map trims for running an clever water injection control system (in conjunction with boost control) or nitrous etc.

-Superb software interface

-Closed Loop Knock control that can manipulate timing and fuel, can define how much fuel+ / timing - for a knock event and how quickly the system reverts to normal.

-Closed loop wideband with automapping / autotuning.

-Closed loop fuel trims per cylinder based on EGT's

-Primary and secondary injector maps (some guys use the 'spare' drivers for water injection systems)

-A whole slew of inputs and outputs that can be mapped to just about anything including a user defined PWM output that I am planning to drive the stock boost gauge with.

-Many other things.. the degree of control it provides can be seen as a plus in the right hands, or overehlming for others. I personally love it. When you consider you can get one for $700-$1000, build a harness and get a 60-2 kit all in for probably close to $1500 its an absolute bargain if you have the background to put it all together.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:09 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

B951S, are you talking about the AEM or your Link 2. I can build a harness, brackets other fabbed stuff. Thanks
Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM
B951S
Rennlist Member

AEM, if you are interested in the complete kit, AEM 1010 box, terminated harness, CDI unit, coils, MAP sensor, boost solenoid, 60-2 kit etc, drop me a line. I am thinking of selling it.

Quick Reply: Standalone, what do you have and how do you like it???