Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo Cup brake ducts, are they different?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:00 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 944 Turbo Cup brake ducts, are they different?

Below is a photo of a brake duct that I have never seen before, on a Rothmans Turbo Cup car. Is this an available stock part, or only available on the Turbo Cup cars? I've never seen it on a 951 before, but that doesn't mean that they were there from the factory and just have been removed/fell off I guess.

I couldn't find a part# on it anywhere when I was looking at it in person............

Anyone seen this before?
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

That looks like a Cup wheel well too ...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:12 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Thom
That looks like a Cup wheel well too ...
Yes, it is! It is this car:
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2005, 11:09 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have brake ducts like that on my car, I wonder if they are needed since I am yet to discover how much heat these brakes can take..
Old 01-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Stock 951 and 951S car did not come with those. Im sure that is a specific Cup car part, in fact I recall seeing low angle pictures of cup cars where you can see the lower scoops from the front. It is very similiar to the 968 lower scoop and must be the prototype model that was later modified and installed on the production 968s.

The way this one mounts is different than the 968 scoops which bolt into cast holes/tabs on the 968 control arms. These look like there is a hose clamp around the sway bar and some sort of clamp that clips through the bracket onto the control arm itself? Am I looking at the picture correctly?
Old 01-12-2005, 11:28 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oddjob

The way this one mounts is different than the 968 scoops which bolt into cast holes/tabs on the 968 control arms. These look like there is a hose clamp around the sway bar and some sort of clamp that clips through the bracket onto the control arm itself? Am I looking at the picture correctly?
That's correct, that is exactly how it mounts. And it's used in conjunction with the stock metal deflector (you can just see it in the photo) that is bolted to the strut body.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:22 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered these. They are on their way right now. I spoke to the President of the company to get the low down. When using his kit, there is no tubing at all to use; unlike the OG kit. Also, he said if you use them on "stock" suspension it's 100% bolt on. If you use any aftermarket shocks, you will have to slightly modify them so they attach to the shock. That's all I know for now. When they are installed, I'll let you know and post some real pics.

Old 01-12-2005, 12:23 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Double Post - Sorry

I just ordered these. They are on their way right now. I spoke to the President of the company to get the low down. When using his kit, there is no tubing at all to use; unlike the OG kit. Also, he said if you use them on "stock" suspension it's 100% bolt on. If you use any aftermarket shocks, you will have to slightly modify them so they attach to the shock. That's all I know for now. When they are installed, I'll let you know and post some real pics.

http://www.frozenrotors.com/coolbrake.shtml

Forgot the link...opps...
Old 01-12-2005, 01:14 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Rob,

Yep, those are the factory 968 cooling scoops with a custom made bracket for non-968 control arms. The bracket will bolt to the top of the sway bar link/mount on the 944 control arms to hang the lower 968 brake scoop.

Good setup, Ive used these both with the custom brackets and on replacement 968 arms on my track cars for years. The bottom scoop does get a little ground off over time (over bumps) by the road surface, and some of the corners rub on the sway bar and brake rotor backing plate.

The first 89T I bought in ’93 came with the 968 scoops and custom brackets on it. It was used as a DE car by the then-owner of one of the MN P-car dealerships. Im guessing the dealer service dept made the brackets, but I have also heard that a guy named Steve Fong was originally selling the brackets years ago. Anyway, now Bill Groschen at Diversified Cyrogenics is marketing them.

Tifosiman,

As far as finding a part number for the original motorsport/cup part, you might look at Asarus’ website where he has the part number listing from the owners manual (if you haven’t already). I don’t remember seeing any brake ducts on the list, but it could be in there. Regardless, I would be very surprised if these unique parts are still available.

How much access do you have to that cup car? And also I recall you said you had a full set of Rothmans Decals? At some point in the future I am looking at replicating the Rothmans cup car livery, and would be interested in some close-ups, dimensions, and color samples for the striping and logos.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Yes, it is! It is this car:
Sorry, I haven't used the correct term.
I was refering to what PET calls the "wheel housing protection", that is the plastic part that fills the "wheel well".
On all 944/951/968 they fill the whole "wheel well", but they are only partial on Cups.

Anyway, as much as I can remember Cup ducts look very similar to the one pictured above.

Anders : your car being one from the first series of Cup, it may not feature all the parts that were fitted on later cars.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:28 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Rob,

Yep, those are the factory 968 cooling scoops with a custom made bracket for non-968 control arms. The bracket will bolt to the top of the sway bar link/mount on the 944 control arms to hang the lower 968 brake scoop.

Good setup, Ive used these both with the custom brackets and on replacement 968 arms on my track cars for years. The bottom scoop does get a little ground off over time (over bumps) by the road surface, and some of the corners rub on the sway bar and brake rotor backing plate.

The first 89T I bought in ’93 came with the 968 scoops and custom brackets on it. It was used as a DE car by the then-owner of one of the MN P-car dealerships. Im guessing the dealer service dept made the brackets, but I have also heard that a guy named Steve Fong was originally selling the brackets years ago. Anyway, now Bill Groschen at Diversified Cyrogenics is marketing them.

Tifosiman,

As far as finding a part number for the original motorsport/cup part, you might look at Asarus’ website where he has the part number listing from the owners manual (if you haven’t already). I don’t remember seeing any brake ducts on the list, but it could be in there. Regardless, I would be very surprised if these unique parts are still available.

How much access do you have to that cup car? And also I recall you said you had a full set of Rothmans Decals? At some point in the future I am looking at replicating the Rothmans cup car livery, and would be interested in some close-ups, dimensions, and color samples for the striping and logos.
I checked Seb's site, didn't see them on there listed. I may shoot for those cryo ones instead. I need some ducts for my car and really like the way the 951ducts are in that photo, but if they are NLA (I bet they are), then the cryo ones would work just fine. Is there any difference in them regarding early vs. late offset cars? (because the a-arms are different lengths). The cryo kit says fog light removal required. Is that permanent or just for the install procedure and they go back in?

I have good access to the car, I can get you what you need as far as measurements, close-ups, etc. I can probably get you the info for the person that made the new decal set for the owner of the car as well if interested...
Old 01-12-2005, 01:39 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jim B:

Thanks for some "real life" input. Much appreciated.

And with this kit, you DON"T have to remove the fog lights too.

"Diversified Cryogenics has developed a cool ducting kit for the Porsche 944 & 944 turbo sports cars. Utilizing Porsche's very efficient brake cooling design from the 968 we have made brackets to retro-fit the air scoops that redirect air from the bottom of the car to the backside center of the brake rotor. This kit will fit on 944 turbos and 944S2s. This is a must brake cooling kit for cars that are used for track events. This kit does not require you to remove your fog lights and you will not need to replace any damaged brake duct tubing like you see in other kits."
Old 01-12-2005, 01:48 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Jim:

Question. I know these ducts hang down. Are they visible at all, if you are looking at the car from the front and/or side? I am just curious if they are THAT visible?

Old 01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Tifosiman,

Yes, any info on who made the replica decal set would be great.

There will be no reason to remove the fog lights at all. The old set of brackets that I have (again they are at least 12 yrs old) have 3 holes on the top to choose from when mounting to the control arm/sway bar link. So there is some fitment adjustment there. But the lower scoops are for the late offset: with a set distance between the sway bar (where the hose clamp is in your picture) and the brake rotor backing plate. My guess is for the early offset, that distance will be slightly shorter and the scoop will be more prone to rub against the sway bar or push against the backing plate. The scoop actually tends to do this slightly even on the later offset, and I have trimmed the plastic a little on each end to keep them from pushing the rotor backing plate against the rotor while making sharp turns. So Im about positive that for an early offset car, you could trim about a 1/2"-1" off the end of the scoop on the rotor side, and it should work.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Rob,

Funny story about seeing them: In either '93 or '94 I had the 89T with the 968 scoops on it at a Mid Ohio PCA Region event at Putnam Park. They black flagged me to come off the track and told me I had something hanging off the bottom of my car. Worried that something was broke, I jumped out and looked. It was the scoops, they didnt know what they were.

Yes you can see them from the front, but only from a low angle. Cannot see them from the side.

You can see the driver side lower scoop in this pic:

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/944ra1.jpg

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Cup brake ducts, are they different?