Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo Cup brake ducts, are they different?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 04:37 PM
smokey
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For early offset cars, you need to cut about 1" off the lower scoops on the side that is next to the wheel due to the difference in wheel offset. No big deal; I just used metal snips.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:20 PM
DER951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

How would these lower scoops be affected by a splitter? It seem that, the more effective the splitter is, the less effective these low scoops would be. I would think a splitter would improve flow through the original ducts. None of the pictured cars appear to be using splitters.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:23 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DER951
How would these lower scoops be affected by a splitter? It seem that, the more effective the splitter is, the less effective these low scoops would be. I would think a splitter would improve flow through the original ducts. None of the pictured cars appear to be using splitters.
If they take their air from the ducts in the bumper cover, I would think that the splitter would not affect it adversely?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:38 AM
smokey
Pro

The 968 ducts get their air from under the car, and the scoops on the strut face down rather than forward. The air from the ducts in the bumper cover has little effect. The scoops on the control arms stick down quite far, so the splitter shouldn't make much difference. I think the distance from the ground to the splitter is about the same as the distance to the bottom of the standard batwing at the rear, but maybe someone could measure that. How much ground clearance is there under a splitter right in front of the control arms?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:05 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by turbocup
The normal trays are flat all across.
Really? Mine is not a turbo cup tray and it has recesses on the underside and cut outs. Do you mean closer to the front of the lip where it attaches to the bumper cover?
Old 01-17-2005, 11:29 AM
Mark in Denver
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken D
I'm guessing that he's using the racing-type Koni coilovers, where the strut bodies don't have the two mounting brackets for the factory cooling duct. You won't have that problem if you're only doing the 'hacksaw' Koni insert.
Ken is correct; I using some racing type Koni's with threaded bodies.

Mark

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Cup brake ducts, are they different?