Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo Cup brake ducts, are they different?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 02:11 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim:

Again thanks for the info. I looked at that pic. Damn, from that angle, you really can see that thing? And from the front you can too? Humm.

Questions for ya:

1.) Is your car lowered in that pic?
2.) This may sound crazy, but could you trim them a bit so they dont hang that low? Or is that basically destroying the whole concept behing them scooping up air?

I had to ask..

Old 01-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Asarus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

These parts are Cup specific parts, you're right

It looks like the 968 ducts but it's different.

Seb
Old 01-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RolexNJ
Jim:

Again thanks for the info. I looked at that pic. Damn, from that angle, you really can see that thing? And from the front you can too? Humm.

Questions for ya:

1.) Is your car lowered in that pic?
2.) This may sound crazy, but could you trim them a bit so they dont hang that low? Or is that basically destroying the whole concept behing them scooping up air?

I had to ask..

The car is pretty low.

The picture shows an extreme example. I would not say that you can see them very often, or that they detract from the looks. Normally the shadow under the car hides them, and normally you dont see the car from an angle that you can view that far under it. Put a pop can under the front cross member, then walk around the car, you cant see it until you get on your hands and knees.

Yes you can trim the bottom off a little, but I would wait to install them first to see what you think. The ground will naturally trim them off for you too. I have replaced the lower set because they do get chewed up over time.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Rob,

Here is another picture showing a 968 Club Sport that you can barely see a scoop on the passenger side, and the 944T behind it also has the scoops but you cannot tell.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/de_44t_pic_4.jpg
Old 01-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Asarus
Pro

Old 01-12-2005, 02:48 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Jim:

Thanks for those pics, they really help

I see what you are saying now. The angle would have to be REALLY bad to see them. Also, I am going to do what you sguuest. I'll wait until they are on the car, and if I think they need to be trimmed, I'll have them trimmed just a little bit.

One more question if you don't mind. Did you ever test "just" the brake cooler kit by itself to see how effective it was? I am just curious if it was a night and day difference, or no, you couldn't tell at all in anyway.

I know cooler kits work very well from my experience in racing GTP Light cars in the 80s. Of course the design was with tubing too. I am just curious to know how effective they are for street, but moreso the track.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:04 PM
Asarus
Pro

For your brakes to be effective, you have to get them at a particular temperature, not upper but not lower neither. On the street, the brakes may be too cold with this extra cooler kit, be careful with that. On track you can keep your brakes hot enough but it's almost impossible on street except with street pads, street rotors and... street cooling
Old 01-12-2005, 03:13 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Asarus:

Thanks for the nice and up close pics!

Yeah, I'm quite familar with cooling systems from my racing years. I just didn't know how effective they are in street applications and/or DE type events.

Maybe I'll just have to drive fast on the street and keep the temps up. Oh no, now I'm implying that I may be doing "street racing"; which is what that street racing poll is about. And I don't want to go there, yikes!

Old 01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Asarus
Pro

Hi Rob

I'm just telling that about the brakes because everything fine for the track is (almost) always bad for the street and the contrary.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:28 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Asarus:

I hear ya on that one, thanks. My car is really a weekend car at best, but it will see track time. In the future, it will probably see even more track time too. I just bought that cooler kit, with anticipating on using it for the track in the future. I just wanted to use it in conjunction with all the othermods I did to my brakes.

Old 01-12-2005, 03:48 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

I cant imagine any need for additional brake cooling on a street car. But Porsche put these scoops on stock 968s so I would not worry about them cooling too much on the street, especially when using a street or compromise compound brake pad. There is more of a risk with track pads that have a higher operating temp range. But even with Pagids, Cool Carbons, or Hawk track duty pads, I have never slid through a stop light because my brake coolers worked so well that the pad compound was too cold to stop the car (and it gets cold in MN).

The cooling scoops are really only necessary for a track car. And how much brake cooling you need depends on the track, car, brake pads, driver, etc…

I have never done a temp/fade test with and without the cooling scoops. Common sense dictates that they do help. How much would be very hard to quantify. I suppose you could take some IR temps off the rotor after a DE session with, and then again without cooling.

I also cannot say that they work as well as the duct/tubing, like a cool brake kit. I would think that the direct tubing may direct more air onto the rotor than the 968 scoops, but again that would be very hard to quantify. I know that the 968 scoop method is a cleaner installation and a lot less junk in the way, also easier to install and costs less.

Most of the 944/951/968 racers that I know are using the 968 scoops. I only remember seeing a couple cars using the cool brake kits and that was several years ago, and those were possibly installed before the 968 parts were available.

The other thing to check: look for the brake ducts that go from the front spoiler openings through the fender tubs. Most 944 Turbos have these, but some of the late model year 89s had these deleted (along with some other items like headlight washers, when Porsche was trying to cut manufacturing costs). If your car does not have them, they should be installed (for track use), since most of the air that upper scoop is deflecting onto the rotor, comes through the duct from the spoiler. The lower scoop tries to grab airflow from under the car.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:52 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the tips and input. I picked up the scoops for the nose/spoiler this week (just need to get up in there and see how to attach them).

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2005, 04:12 PM
Alpine951
Drifting

Last week I asked if any one had pics of the Diversified Cryogenics ones installed over in the Drivers Education forum. I can't post the link but its over on the second page at the moment. Note that Mark in Denver has them installed and if the shock is not stock it will not be 100% bolt on. My front struts are Boges on my 86 951 so I am cutting them and putting the Koni inserts into them so I will probably need to make some type of bracket as indicated in the thread.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:12 PM
RolexNJ
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hey Jim:

Thanks a bunch for the tips and education, that was great. Very much appreciated.

Old 01-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpine951
Last week I asked if any one had pics of the Diversified Cryogenics ones installed over in the Drivers Education forum. I can't post the link but its over on the second page at the moment. Note that Mark in Denver has them installed and if the shock is not stock it will not be 100% bolt on. My front struts are Boges on my 86 951 so I am cutting them and putting the Koni inserts into them so I will probably need to make some type of bracket as indicated in the thread.
I'm guessing that he's using the racing-type Koni coilovers, where the strut bodies don't have the two mounting brackets for the factory cooling duct. You won't have that problem if you're only doing the 'hacksaw' Koni insert.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Cup brake ducts, are they different?