Smog Help ! Failed CA Emissions - Gross Polluter

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

I see your HC is still just under the limit. Now that you improved your spark, I think if you just lean your mix just a little more, you may just pass.

Looking at your two test results, your HC went down on the second test:

15mph - first 152, second 112
25mph - first 139, second 72

and to confirm that HC in your second test was being burned at a greater rate, your CO2 increased.

15mph - first 13.5, second 14.3
25mph - 13.5, second 15.0

In the description of your changes, I see that you changed plugs and added smog mix. Did you lean out your a/f ratio at all via an adjustment? I wonder if that is the purpose of the smog mix, say a chemical that combines with or displaces HC, ultimately reducing HC and leaning out the mix.

I also went to my local mechanic and he was a wealth of info. Apparently, BMW M3, Cadillacs and Porsches have been failing NOx since the new test came out. He was saying that in some cases folks have had to buy "NO reducing catalytic converters". Essentially a cat with more area specifically for NOx emissions.
Where's the wealth in this information? So everybody is failing, we knew that from this board.

I believe the key is in getting the a/f ratio correct. For more HP we add larger turbos that provide more air from 3000 rpm up. We add larger injectors to match the air at 3000 rpm up. With the larger injectors, we wind up with too much fuel at low rpms. The smog test is run at 2200 rpm, and at that point the turbo is not adding any air.

In the 70's manufactures did not have computer controlled injectors, and therefore lacked the precise control over the a/f ratio. They installed air pumps, which leaned out the mix (more air/less fuel). They installed egr valves (exhaust gas recirculation), and again pumped spent gasses into the combustion chamber to lean out the mix. They added cats. All bandaids. Maybe a NOX specific cat would help. I would think that like the O2 sensor, its range of influence is limited. Spend the money and let me know. Or try to get the a/f mix where it needs to be at 2200 rpm. This is my thoughts.

Last edited by Bill; 01-15-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:18 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Eddie, smog certificates are only good for 90 days. Otherwise, I'd get a lifetime supply now.
Hey Tom
Really. I wanted to smog a year early ... Can I do that and get two years going forward. ?
regards
Ed
Old 01-16-2005, 02:37 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is about a whole system that is not producing the smog numbers as tolerated. From my point of view proper tuning should lead to those numbers as they are measured in low revs range.
If I were you I would contact the source to make sure putting in stock chips, afm and injectors does not harm engine or going worse.
I guess you will still have the bigger turbo that stock chips and injectors not are thougt for.
kind regards
Old 01-16-2005, 03:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Eddie, smog certificates are only good for 90 days. Otherwise, I'd get a lifetime supply now.
Hey Tom
Really. I wanted to smog a year early ... Can I do that and get two years going forward. ?
regards
Ed

Eddie, I thought you said you got on some black list requiring you to go every year anyway? I don't know if they still use this system, but in the old days the bi-annual date was based on odd/even plate numbers -- so even transferring the title or taking it out of state for a while would not reset the smog clock. Welcome to the great state of California.
Old 01-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Ok, now here is a wild idea, based on the first question in this DMV FAQ:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/StdPrint...ons_Part_1.htm

How about a nice road trip to visit our 951 friends in Arizona or Oregon?
Old 01-16-2005, 03:24 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Eddie, I thought you said you got on some black list requiring you to go every year anyway? I don't know if they still use this system, but in the old days the bi-annual date was based on odd/even plate numbers -- so even transferring the title or taking it out of state for a while would not reset the smog clock. Welcome to the great state of California.
Hey Tom
I did get my first "Smog Only "in 04
I never failed a smog either before or after ... But, they have us all listed as gross polluters
I see what you are saying I might be screwed if it's odd even ...
thanks
regards
Ed
Old 01-16-2005, 04:16 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Sounds like a plan
What about some buddies in NY that fell off a truck ? :-)
Ed
Old 01-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

I think I'm going to give it a go at the test only center "as-is". If you notice, my 2nd test...the 15mph test was done in 2nd gear. If the rpms were the same for the 15mph part as at the 25mph zone (where I passed) then I would have been fine. The first test was done in 1st for 15mph and 2nd for 25mph. Both ended up being around 2500rpm. The second test he did the 15mph in 2nd gear to try and help reduce emissions which ended up making it worse.

As an answer to Bill's question, no I didn't lean out the mix. Once I plugged in my alititude sensor it seemed to be just fine. I was planning on leaning it out, but couldn't see any justification after looking at the wideband.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:38 PM
turbinek
Instructor

Do I get this wright - you are ignoring my input?
If yes - why?
Is there something wrong with my arguments?
Isn't it normal that changing a system may work out...!
Old 01-18-2005, 03:55 PM
dhallilama
Instructor

I'm starting to worry about mine.... need to smog it in the next week or so...
under boost it produces some black smoke... plus the oil in the intake (dont know if that'll matter) to give it the occasional blue hue. I KNOW it's running rich under boost... i can raise the boost and get it running right (wide-band), but dont think that would help it pass.

car is currently stock, other than the APE Stage II chips/banjo... my MBC has been removed for a little bit, while i await a couple new parts.

if they indeed keep the rpm's under 3k, mine *should* be ok... runs very clean there... but if they go over...
Old 01-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Talking smog california

Yes, I'm ignoring your opinion in this case. I felt that because you were swiss I should not listen to you....after all you guys just know about cool watches

Just kidding of course.

My main goal is to pass smog using the MAP kit and injectors. I could swap out the stock chips, but I want to pass my car WITH all of the mods to prove that it is indeed possible.

If you look at the rpms from the first test which was done in first gear at 15mph and 2nd gear at 25mph the rpms are around 2500. In the second test the tech tried starting off in 2nd gear at 15mph to reduce emissions.....it actually made it worse. So....assuming that the rpms are the same at 15mph and 25mph which they were in the first test I would have passed the smog test this last time. This saturday I will try it again and let everyone know the results. If that doesn't work then I can revert back to the stock chips.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Mike
Not to sound like a dick ... but aren't these tests costing you like 40 bucks every time you go ?
BWTFDIK...
Regards
Ed
ps Will stock chips work with a MAF
Old 01-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

BWTFDIK? No idea what that means.

Stock chips will work with the MAP kit, I'm not sure if that is also true with MAF...maybe Bill can comment. The retest at the smog only is free, so I've shelled out $40 for this last test. I'm willing to do this since there seem to be a few of us in the same position and I would rather know definitively if I have to pull my chips and injectors every year. It's only a couple hours of work but if I can avoid it I will.

If I don't pass with the current setup on saturday I'll just go out and swap the chips out. Each time you fail you get a free retest so it's really only $20 a shot.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:49 PM
alengyel
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"But what the fu*k do I know"

Mike, I had my local guy adjust mine while hooked up to an EGA. Sixty bucks later and I was in..... good luck.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:51 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a cat is needed. A couple of people here have mentioned not being able to pass NOx and replacing the cat did it. I think we've got the fuel adjusted pretty darn close to the best we can. High HC emissions on the verge of failing usually gives the lowest NOx you can hope for. It's possible to add more fuel and lower the NOx, but you'd fail the HC test.

Quick Reply: Smog Help ! Failed CA Emissions - Gross Polluter