Liquid intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Liquid intercooler?

Ok, we just upgraded the intercooler in my father's 951 from a stock to a lindsey racing stage 1. it has a great difference in temperature, however, I have a friend who developed and has been marketing a liquid intercooler for the MINI cooper S. I was at the track today, and there was a cooper S running this intercooler. he has temperature probes on either side of the intercooler, and the temperature drop is INCREDIBLE, as in 170 degree drop from the supercharger to the intake.

For those familiar with the MINI world, this is the KMD liquid to air intercooler. I have no clue how it works, but I do know it's phenominal. I rode on the track in a car that was equipped with this intercooler, and he was telling me one day it was really cold outside. Intake from the supercharger was around 197 degrees, and from the intercooler to the throttle body was 27 degrees. He said he was able to place his hand on the intercooler to throttle body pipes, and they were cold!

So, I'm wondering if anyone has thought of developing one of these for the 951s.... I know i'd sure as hell be interested in one.

BTW, the MINI KMD Intercooler retails for around $1,200.00
Old 12-30-2004, 01:51 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

How do you know that there is a great temperature difference? Have you got intake temp probes in your IC pipes? What was the difference?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:52 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about getting from intake vents to the IC , that would improve air flow (and thus cooling) to the charged air.

Andy, did you measure yours yet since you have the 924 turbo intake vents?
Old 12-30-2004, 01:53 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ok, in my dad's Lindsey stage 1 intercooler, I used an IR thermometer on the pipes. the one from the turbo to the intercooler was 60 degrees hotter than the one from the intercooler to the TB. that's on the surface of the pipes...there could be a much greater difference inside...

but yeah, I'm still kinda new to the world of forced induction...
Old 12-30-2004, 02:02 AM
NZ951
Race Director

My intake temps dropped 2-3 degrees C in cruise with the vented panel, and 5-6 degrees C on boost. Cruise was nearly the same as ambient, and boost runs are 5-6 above. This is prior to the IC water sprayer which I will test next month.

Geoff, that temp is 100 degrees F less temp difference that what LR state on their site. They state a 169 degree F temp change... interesting. WHere the stock change they note is 142 degree F. Maybe your measuring is not a good method...
Old 12-30-2004, 02:05 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Well, Andrew, like I said, I was using an IR thermometer on the surface of the pipes... or maybe I'm not remembering the values or something... Not to mention, when I took the readings the car JUST got off the track, and was idling, with the hood open...no airflow thru the IC at the time...

so I could be and probably am incorrect in my readings. But if it is in fact a 169 degree difference, then there is no need to get a liquid intercooler like the MINI setup...
Old 12-30-2004, 02:12 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Well, we dont really know if thats the real temp difference, thats just what a seller said they found. Thats why I was curious about how you knew there was a great temp drop, and the reason for your thread! Given that certain packages often fall short of their promised HP, I see no reason in trusting data like the 169 degree F temp drop for example... so real world data from people that dont have a vested interest in the product or company is ALWAYS valuable...

I habe a temp probe in my IC to manifold pipe... this was to test the "maf trap" concept, filter positioning, the 931 vents, and the IC water sprayer.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:57 AM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an air to water intercooler,,,sort of like a reverse radiator....the Lotus Esprit SE and S4S use them due to limited air flow space in the engine compartment...they work well..the porsche 935 936and I think 937 used them too..those cars were pushing 700 to 900rwhp..dues to regulations power dropped ..
The air to water intercoolers were dropped in favor of air to air like we have now due to simplicity AND reliability.....I think a well thought and made intercooler with the aid of waterinjection is best.....I migh be wrong though
Old 12-30-2004, 01:32 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Ok, Well, turns out I was wrong on the Manufacturer of the MINI Intercooler....it's FMD, not KMD..

Anyway, I was curious...

Andrew, the intercooler water sprayers you are talking about for your car, they are mounted ahead of the intercooler, and spray a mist over the IC to aide in cooling?
Old 12-30-2004, 03:13 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I started a thread a while back in the Turbo forum about Air to Water intercoolers, I think it hit 100 posts or something. Might wanna read that for some interesting info and arguments...

Edit: Here it is. 62 posts.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=air+water
Old 12-30-2004, 04:27 PM
Darius Juca
Burning Brakes

Yup I remember that post,,lots of info exchange!
Old 12-30-2004, 04:58 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Ok, Well, turns out I was wrong on the Manufacturer of the MINI Intercooler....it's FMD, not KMD..

Anyway, I was curious...

Andrew, the intercooler water sprayers you are talking about for your car, they are mounted ahead of the intercooler, and spray a mist over the IC to aide in cooling?
Yes here it is... it uses a VDO pump and is controlled by a Link H20 controller so you can set the pumps duty cycle (to allow proper evapouration), and can be triggered off intake temp, boost level, or RPM.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Driv200mph
Instructor

Check LR Thermal Pipes which are so trick, you won't believe what you see or read. I understand the temps were so cold at first, more testing had to be done. Dave will talk to you about them and tell you what's up. He has them on his car I think.

NZ951....like your nose vents. I just got a Stage V intercooler and Stage V intercooler but was looking for a nose vent after I saw yours. Is it from GT racing or AIR?
Old 12-30-2004, 07:56 PM
NZ951
Race Director

The vents are more like home made, I made it with a local body shop...

Those LR thermal pipes have been discussed at length on here! I dont think anyone has bought them yet...
Old 12-30-2004, 08:41 PM
hmd
Racer

I have a friend who done a water to air IC on a wrx which originally has air to air. It works ok, but the amount of plumbing plus the weight of the unit and associated radiator IMO are a much bigger disadvantage than any minor gain in IC efficiency. Plus if the water pump is stuffed you will find alot of hot air in the manifold. Best bang for your bucks mod would be a waterspray running off the headlight washer plumbing and a Hobbs (pressure switch).

Quick Reply: Liquid intercooler?