Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Piston Ring Gap Position

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004 | 02:18 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I got it. Basically where the piston is marked NO 1 with the arrow for orientation. Do not line up the ring gap there, and I would guess also on the opposite side.

Do you then align the first ring horizontal to the wrist pin, or at 45 degrees (basically in-between the thrust face and wrist pin)? I’m guessing at the 45, since if horizontal to the wrist pin the last ring would be positioned at 330, which is pretty close to the thrust face.

Thanks Again
Old 12-30-2004 | 02:23 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Ummm, did I not say the 120 degree method was best from the beginning? Guess no one trusts my opinion (even though I am currently going to school for this). Never align ring end gaps.

Laust is correct however on which side the piston is loaded during the power cycle, however it is called the major thrust, and the other side is the minor thrust, so either side is technically a thrust face (minor thrust is loaded during the intake stroke).
Old 12-30-2004 | 02:24 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

“Maybe in Great Brittan, New Zeeland or other odd places like that (sorry NZ951 couldn’t help it), but the power side is really on the exhaust side, since our engines are rotating clock-wise seen from the front (as most engines do).”

Don’t forget Japan…

Laust is right, and I should stop using the drivers/passengers side description! Exhaust side is correct, I had a small brain fade there.

Chris White
Old 12-30-2004 | 02:27 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Aligning it at 45 degrees sounds reasonable, however if you think about it the end gaps will always be somewhere that could theoretically cause a problem. At the same time, if your gap is at factory spec. then you should not have any problems. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2004 | 02:32 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Wouldn't you want the gap NOT to be on either side?

Badass, I'm with you, just trying to get as much feedback from others to make a somewhat educated decision.
Old 12-30-2004 | 03:01 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

"Aligning it at 45 degrees sounds reasonable, however if you think about it the end gaps will always be somewhere that could theoretically cause a problem."
True, because even at 45, the second ring would be at 165.
I'm probably just over analyzing again. I need to just check what the book calls for and go with that.
Old 12-30-2004 | 03:11 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

badass951,

How is everybody supposed to know that you're going to school for this?

Furthermore, nobody's opinion is ever an end all, be all in any discussion and I think you should never expect it to be that way.
Old 12-30-2004 | 07:59 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by adrial
badass951,

How is everybody supposed to know that you're going to school for this?

Furthermore, nobody's opinion is ever an end all, be all in any discussion and I think you should never expect it to be that way.
Well I was being slightly sarcastic, and it was ignorant of me to think that sarcasm can be translated through type. I apologize.

I do understand the point of a discussion though, thanks.

Quick Reply: Piston Ring Gap Position