Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ac delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 02:14 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is a stupid question. i have not even looked at it yet, but do you have to have an A/C delete braket to delete the A/C? i am making my track only car and am certainly going to delete the A/C. but the braket is going to add weight if i get get away with just using a really short belt and no braket at all. (not to mention 100 more dollars in my pocket to improve the rest of the car)

NZ951, no comments about memberships please. i know the boat this guy is in. i was in it myself. JohnD was gracious enough to give me a membership when i was a flat broke college student with a 951 (which i couldn't afford the insurance on at the time). 4 months later i finished college and had a somewhat steady income and i paid for a membership. now i have a very steady income and having been in a situation this guy is in, i know not to look down on those in hard times. as for yourself, your obviously not a poor college student because you must have had the longest sig. i have ever tried reading. it is shorter now (thank god), but i still know by the thousands you spend on mods alone, your by no means poor.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:32 PM
Andre
Burning Brakes

everyone says its cheaper to buy a 951 but its not, if you think about it a 944 would give you about 2000 and then to buy a decent 951 in that shape would at least run you 6000 if you are lucky. thats $4000!!!! i did all the work on my conversion, found an engine with 60k on it, changed seals, lapped valves new springs and all that junk, waterpump belts and i paid 2 grand for everything, then i sold my 944 engine for 800, so if you dont count the hours of work it cost me 1200 for 70 extra hp and 100 torque. if thats more expensive than buying a 951 then....show me where you get a 951. Granted, i dont have the brakes, i did get some cheap suspension...good deal on koni's and got 951 springs(not great but somewhat an improvement for $15) but then again my car is also ALOT lighter than a 951. The reason i want AC delete because my ac doesn't work anymore then compressor is buster and makes noise when it turns and stuff rattles inside. I dont have powersteering or anything either because when it broke i was a "CHEAP ***" and just yanked it instead of getting a new rack for 350. Being in my position and being able to drive a car like this is awesome so i'm not going to complain about creature comforts.

I am real happy with the conversion, real straight forward, real easy and works like a dream. and the tranny is still good, you hear a lot of bull**** from ppl who have never done this about what you need to change and all the crap thats gunna break but i kinda didn't listen to anyone and it worked out. Real glad i didn't get a 951 tranny either, now with 15psi boost, 2800 lb car, shorter gears...i have a very inexpensive sleeper.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A/C delete bracket holds the alternator, with a new shorter belt, when you remove the A/C.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:04 PM
emwporsche
Three Wheelin'

I have the broadfoot racing piece and am quite happy with it.

it weighs like a pound

but you do need a bracket to remove the a/c along with the shorter belt as ski said.
Old 12-26-2004, 04:16 PM
dlgranison
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AC delete bracket

I have a used factory a/c delete bracket that I am will to part with. Check for it in the classifieds
Old 12-26-2004, 05:18 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When someone spending many thousand on their car in an engine swap and plan these other mods such as the Tial EBC AC delete, then say they are too poor to affort $18, call me skeptical about the excuse... lol

I was able to mod my car because I worked through my last two degrees at University. Nevertheless...
Old 12-26-2004, 05:20 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emwporsche
I have the broadfoot racing piece and am quite happy with it.

it weighs like a pound

but you do need a bracket to remove the a/c along with the shorter belt as ski said.

I have this one as well... looks very well made, its bling gold though.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:52 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Watch ebay. There is someone that is selling the brackets that Larry and Luke sold on here awhile back. Whoever it is they bought a few of them. The last one went for around $100 or so I think.

Conversely, Larry and Luke may be interested in making another run of the brackets.

They are very nice.

Peckster, if the car is a track car or is in a climate that the A/C is not needed very often, I see nothing wrong with deleting the A/C.
Old 12-27-2004, 10:53 AM
chilibluepepper
Racer

FWIW there's also one listed on the Classifieds for $100. Might be worth looking into by those in the market for one.
Old 12-27-2004, 11:11 AM
pieball
Racer

I don't believe the ones on ebay are Luke's. In a search, Luke's were silver, not gold. Ebay's are Broadfoot's unless there's multiple listings. The factory bracket is also gonna be heavier. I've seen the aftermarkets for $75 on ebay...
FWIW

Quick Reply: ac delete